What kinda kids did you raise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kinda kids did you raise?

Watching threads on here and listening to real life conversations and wondering.

We have 2 daughters. One is 26, yrs old, never married. Has her Bachelors degree, soon to have her Masters. She has been teaching for 3 yrs. Loves, loves, loves to teach lil snot nosed kinder kids. She purchased a brand new 1800 sq foot house last yr. Her first vehicle she purchased was a 2014 Jeep Wrangler, cause she loved those things. She was top 10 percent in her HS class. Sam had to apply herself and she does as she is not a natural to most academics but still gets it done.

Our youngest is at UTSA. 1st yr, second semester but is classified as a sophomore due to her dual credits she took in HS. Maintaining a 4.0 as of now. She is leaning towards accounting or computer software etc. Amazingly smart, top 5 percent in her class. She has a natural stigma for academics.

I just can't get how some kids won't, fail, too lazy to get motivated to get to working, education etc. By no means am I saying EVERY kid has to have a degree. I don't have one but I entered a field at the time school or very little was required.

I honestly don't know. I know I/we are blessed beyond believe with our two daughters. I have way too many relatives that just will not and refuse to go to work much less get an education.

I tell my wife "how can one sit on their azz all day with no meaning in life?" I guess there are a few that can and do. I strongly feel a good, motivated kid learns from his household environment on what he/she will do in life. Some kids are doomed from the start, imo.

Maybe I am wrong but I have seen this trend in LE and listening to my wife tell me her tales of 31 yrs as a teacher.

You have done a great job raising your kids, be proud Dad!

Comment

Our two boys aged 30 and 26 have turned out to be responsible hard working young adults. I am very pleased and proud but I try not to give myself and my wife too much credit for the way they turned out. Sure, we did everything we could to raise them right but in retrospect, plenty of parenting mistakes were made. I think that at least some of the way they turned out was probably pure luck. Ambition and work ethic are learned behavior to some degree but an equal measure depends on the "way they are wired" - traits they are born with. We all know honest, hard working folks who have dishonest, lazy offspring. We also know honest hard working kids who have worthless parents. I don't know what combination of parenting and genetics made our boys turn out like they did, I just thank God and consider myself blessed.

Comment

Congrats! We have a senior, top 8% in his class, going to UNT next year, and our daughter will be in 9th grade next year. She's never had a grade lower than an A since she started school. Glad they got my good looks, and not my brains!!

Comment

Congrats on raising some outstanding kids!

Me & the Wife are very blessed too with our kids.
          The son graduated A&M with honors in Civil Engineering. Went straight to work as an engineer for a company in Houston. Has a Great head on him & is better off than most older people.
          Our daughter graduated A&M with honors in education. Her degree is in special ed. She went to Spain for a year & did missionary teaching. Came back to Houston & is teaching special ed in Cy Fair ISD. She is marrying an A&M grad in June that has his degree in petroleum engineering. Couldn't be more proud of them. I'm so glad they took after their mother!! LOL!

Comment

My daughter is 24 and is going into the Army in 12 days. My son is 21 and is currently in the police academy. He transferred over from the fire department because it was too boring for him

My 18 yo stepson just moved back home. He moved to his grandmas and dropped out as a Sophomore. He is pursuing a rap career. Hopefully that involves a job and a home. my 15 yo stepson is straight A's, National Junior Honor Society, plays four sports every year. He dreams of being a lawyer

Comment

Too soon to tell for ours.
              I’ve been trying to teach them the way our generation (millennials) do things, but all they want to do is work hard so I’m not sure they are getting it.

Jk, but I feel like my wife and I came up through total different styles of raising and we both turned out good. Now we are using a mix of how we were both raised to do the best we can with ours.

Comment

Both my boys live at home, are unemployed, and scream when they dont get their way. But since they are 3 and 5 we cut them a little slack.

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
                  Both my boys live at home, are unemployed, and scream when they dont get their way. But since they are 3 and 5 we cut them a little slack.

Beat me to it, just a little age difference 7 and 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

mine are too young yet to tell how they'll turn out. my parents must have done something right though. my 2 younger sisters and myself all out-earn our parents.
                    my wife of 12 years is a stay at home mom and I bring in 160k+ a year
                    my middle sister has a has a masters in teaching special ed and is a director in SA
                    my youngest sister is a branch manager at a bank and her husband is a tool pusher

Comment

2 girls here

Have a 27 year old daughter that graduated med school this year and is now a Dr. Couldnt be more proud of her academics and accomplishments.

My 25 year old daughter's life was a struggle since being born severely premature. She is physically and mentally handicapped. Even as a young adult there is only so much she is capable of and we continue to take care for her. It's a daily struggle for her and us but couldn't be more proud of what she has become after giving little chance to live at birth.

Comment

One that is completely dependent on us for everything. Still lives with us, we buy all of her clothes, her food, basically pay for everything she does. Of course she is only 3, I don't expect her to pay her own way for another year or two at least.

Comment

Oldest is 24 with a Petroleum Engineering degree. He's doing fantastic out on his own. The youngest will be 23 this Summer. He graduates this May and plans to go get his Masters in Finance starting in the Fall.

I would love to take credit but I truly believe it is easier to screw a kid up than it is to make them a success. You can't make them "want to". Most of their friends are also pointed in the right direction and starting their lives as contributing adults. There are a couple who are just head scratchers. They come from good homes but, they have absolutely no motivation to go do something. They were both honors students in high school and graduated college with good degrees from good schools (one UT and one ATM).

You just never really know what choices your children will make.

Comment

Mine are 15 and 17. My 17yo daughter is just like me, very serious about everything, likes things to be neat and in order, room always clean, bed made, always keeps up with grades, stays up late every night doing homework, extremely responsible, etc...… My 15yo son is the total opposite, could care less that his room looks like a hurricane hit it, clothing all over the floor, dishes everywhere, no sheets/comforter on bed, have to stay on him non stop about grades, etc.....

Needless to say, I worry non stop about my son. He's a great kid, very kind and well behaved, naturally smart, but he underperforms academically due to being unmotivated and is no where as responsible as his sister. We keep hoping that he will grow out of at some point since he has so much potential.

Like Jerp said, I honestly think a lot of how kids turn out is just the luck of the draw, given they have a decent home life. I work with all kinds of people who have kids who are academic overachievers, top of their graduating class, score 1400+ on their SAT, etc.... I'm constantly asking these guys, how the heck did your kids turn out like they did? Most of them just shrug and say, who knows, I'm just lucky I guess.
                            Last edited by rockyraider; 04-02-2019, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Some kids grow up with “want to”, some kids don’t.

Comment

Working...
                              X