Ranch Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A Click View Post
    I am so into this build. I can't believe that you found such a great deal on the cedar siding

I couldn't believe my luck either.

Comment

Took a trip out on Sunday to do a few things. Turns out the Section of land to the North of me is being developed, and the developer has about a 60acre tract that will line up with my property. I spent 2.5 hours walking the property and really liked what I saw. I am in negotiations with them to purchase it. Pic 1 shows the new lot in blue, my tract is in RED location of my cabin is in the white squares. Luckily my neighbor next to me plans to purchase his adjoining lots as well, and we all have the same game management plans. There are some stunning views from the hilltops of the new subdivision. There are new tracts surrounding mine that will be available soon, so If you want to be neighbors it would be good to have like minded owners working together! Send me a PM and I will give your details.

After walking the new land we decided to do touch-up grinding, and complete the paint on the structure and railing. We got it all done and now we are officially ready to dry this thing in!!

The plan is, as I have stated before, get the roof on and as much siding done the weekend of March 23rd.

thanks you all for the kind comments throughout this journey.
      Attached Files

Comment

Looking freakin good man!!!! I am jealous!!

Comment

Absolutely beautiful!cant wait to see the finished product.

Comment

Awesome progress, good luck with buying the new piece!

Comment

Good luck with the purchase of the land. That would be awesome to have.

Comment

Heading out to try to get the roof up this weekend. I have about 9 others coming out to help me on Saturday. If the rain holds off we should able to get the roof and some if not all of the siding up. Praying the the rain stays away! Will send out updates when I get back!

Comment

Good luck this weekend. Loving the build.

Comment

Good luck on the weather. Don’t forget the pictures for this thread!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We drove out the ranch early Saturday AM. The weather was great, overcast most of the day, and partly cloudy in the afternoon. Several guys had to drop out last minute, so it was Just Andy and I along with his son (15), my Son(17 and 2 of my sons buddies (16&17). I was worried that us old guys would have to do all the hard work on the roof because the boys are so young, but it was good to have the youth around to keep us motivated.

We started out with putting on the osb. We used the loft as the staging area to get the first few sheets up. I went on top to secure osb. It was a completely different experience screwing in the roof than we had with the deck. We used pan head self-taping screws, BUT they would not work. I do not know why but we just couldn't get them to go in no matter how we tried; impact, regular drill, slow or fast it was not good! Only about 1 in 5 would go in. Luckily we had several drill bits the right size to drill pilot holes, but it was going to cost us a lot of time. I started off on the steep side of the cabin, and got all the all the sheets installed. (pic1) I then moved to the front of the cabin, placed all the osb. We trimmed the osb for a nice finish (pic 2). Next we installed drip edge on the front and back. Tar paper was then rolled and stapled to the OSB. (pic 3)

That process took much longer than I thought, we started at about 8AM and it was 2:30 by the time we got the osb and tar paper done. I did not think we could get the rest done by the end of the day.

My son and his buddy volunteered to do the rest of the top side work. (pic 4 & 5)They did all of the steel roofing installation with our supervision. After they got the panels on each side done I was completely exhausted and said we would finish putting on the ridge cap in the morning. (pic 6) My son and his friend said they didn’t want to wait until morning, they wanted to say they got it all done in one day. (Pic 7) So we guided them through that process including the foam between the ridge cap and panels. (Pic 8)

Only thing that we did not get done was installing the rake. We have to get the fascia boards installed before we can do that.

All in all it was a good day, and I am so proud of the way all 4 of the young men worked. We enjoyed clear sky's and lots of meteors that evening during dinner and treated them to smores! (pic 9)

Sunday morning was wet so I am extremely happy my son insisted on getting the top side done Saturday because there was no way I would have let anyone try to work on that wet roof.

I think we are just 1 long weekend away from having the cabin completely dried in!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looking great! Getting closer!

Comment

Looks Great!!!

Comment

Looks great!

Can your son and his buddies come to my place to do some work? I'll pay them with all the Smores they can eat!

Comment

Fantastic!! Great to see those boys getting it done, hope you fed them well!

Comment

Glad you had good help! Can't wait for another update.

Comment

Working...
                                X