Africa Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Africa Trip

I was asked to chat about my trip so, here goes. Traveling that far sucks but, it was worth it. It started out SLOW, sat in a blind for two days without seeing any shooter animals. I believe my PH and me were about to start fighting because of the slow action we were having in blinds. I learned that if there’s an animal to put a stalk on, a Sable is a good starter. I tried to close the deal on a good Sable on the second day. I was leveling my bow and just about to punch the trigger just as my PH said, “wait”. He was getting a bad read on the yardage and didn’t realize I had the yardage already, it was fun anyway. I gave up that afternoon and decided to shoot an Impala with a rifle. My PH told me when an Impala is shot they run 100% all out until they die so, I tested him on that. Sure enough, when I shot the Impala we heard him crash in a bush. First one down!
    Next day, we sat in a blind for ten hours without a shooter, did have a big Kudu show but, I don’t like narrow Kudu’s. As we are packing up, my PH’s eyes got really big and he said here comes a monster Impala. I had no clue about the horns, I just waited until he walked into my window, at eight steps from the blind I shot a very big Impala.
    The next day was way more eventful. As we were going to sit at another blind we ran into some buffalo and he asked if I wanted to try with my bow, “YES”!!! Just knowing all I had was the bow instantly set my adrenaline rolling. We got to within 15yrds but, the bull was looking straight at me and didn’t present a broadside shot, still was an absolute rush.
    As we are driving, we come to a turn and see a really good Sable. He asked if I wanted to use my bow and of course I had to try. So, the stalk was on. I got to within 20 yards and connected but, with my adrenaline going so hard I didn’t compensate for him walking, shot was a little far back. I was lucky though, he was quartering away and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought. The Sable only went 60 or so yards and that was it. As soon as the loading guys showed up we bailed out and went looking for a Buffalo. There was another PH there that had a Merkle 500 Nitro double rifle and offered his rifle to me if I wanted it. How much more traditional buffalo hunting than using a double rifle, plus I wasn’t sure if the opportunity would ever come again. We found a good bull in the thick stuff and just as I hit the shooting sticks, a flock of Giennies flew right at the herd, yes I mis-spelled that, and spooked the bull. Off we go, and a few hours later, we find a massive bull. We followed the guy for a few minutes until he finally gave me the shot I needed. Big Cape Buffalo down!!!!
    Again, we get the loading crew there to load the guy up on the truck, that was a heck of a sight. We are gone, looking for another animal.
    Just about dark we’re driving looking for something and my PH stops the truck and hits reverse and backs around the corner. He gives me the rifle and says, you have to use a gun for this Eland. So, off we go. We stalked several hundred yards and got to just around 100 yards and sets up the sticks. I had no clue how big this guy was until I shot him and walked up to him. No ground shrinkage here. That was a hell’va day for the way we started the hunt.
    The next day we go looking for a big Kudu, the animals just didn’t move in the morning like we wanted so, we go looking in the truck. After lunch, we’re driving around and I spot a good Nyala from the truck. It was standing under a tree and thought it was well hidden, not enough. I didn’t even get off the truck, just took the shot from the back of the truck and made a great shot. I see the sucker take off and quickly lose sight of him. We go to where I shot the guy and all he did was circle back to almost right where I shot him, how convenient for us!!
    Last morning we are still looking for my Kudu and stubble on a very old and big Wildebeest. I had no intention of taking a wildebeest but, when there are as big as my PH was saying, I had to take the guy. We were driving around and come around a corner to see the guy in a small opening. I decided to go ahead and pop the guy with a gun before he bolted. I never found that big Kudu but, it was still a trip for the books.
    The pictures will be in order as they went down.

Animal Pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations! We are leaving for our first trip in 29 days 18 hours and 37 minutes but who is counting?

Comment

Hell of a trip with some amazing animals. Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
          Congratulations! We are leaving for our first trip in 29 days 18 hours and 37 minutes but who is counting?
          Y’all may find yourself in a situation where they have some quota left on animals and give you a smoking deal. They were doing a 2 for 1 price on Springboks right before I got there in their Kalahari concession. Good luck on your trip and share your pics with us.

Comment

Congrats on a great trip and a bunch of great critters. That second Impala is a stud!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Great write up and awesome animals! We are going in June and this gets me fired up!

Comment

Helluva hunt! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  Congrats on a great trip and a bunch of great critters. That second Impala is a stud!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  I had no clue how big that guy was when I shot him. The PH got excited and I just focused on my shot. When we walked up to the Impala, he was under/in a bush and I had to pull him out just to see what he looked like.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, I’m not sure if I’ll ever have that eventful of a trip. I want to take my son and put him on a black Impala and a Golden Wildebeest.
                    You more experienced guys will understand this. My image of a warthog is completely different than when I first hit the ground in Africa. I figured they would be a slam dunk, as you see, I came back empty of a warthog. My next trip to Limpopo is a warthog, big Kudu and Roan all with a bow. I’ll book next SCI convention for a pair of Gemsbok and Springbok in the Kalahari.

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on a great hunt, and nice trophies. What outfitter did you hunt with?

Comment

Congratulations. Greats looking trophies. bucket list trip!

Comment

Awesome animals, congrats!

Comment

congrats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X