* Horn- Trophy Hunters * Question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

* Horn- Trophy Hunters * Question..

What's your 2022 expectations? We've had 2.5 inches on one ranch, and 5.5 on another. We've pounded the LnE to our herd, but honestly my expectations are very low with our native browse in such poor shape. This will be our 3rd year with below average rainfall, and 2022 by far takes the cake.

Those of you with cameras getting a sneak peak, what are you seeing compared to years past? Especially those in drought areas.

The few I have seen So far look Solid. Still too early to tell but, there's hope.
    2011 was terrible But, we Still Managed to Go Some Giants. Overall Your Young deer will Suck But, Older Deer always Have a Shot To Still Grow a Good Set of Horns On Bad Years. Good Amigo

Comment

Surprisingly I still have a toad coming in, but the overall herd will suffer.

Be a good year to pass a lot of bucks as the drought will make it hard to age deer with no prior history. I think deer will suffer more next year than this going into the rut already ran down unless they have some major relief from Mother Nature or a heck of a feeding program.

Comment

Our bucks are definitely behind where they were this time last year.

Comment

That is what I was saying in the other thread seams like horns are way down at this point . I guess with out the natural browse the horn are lacking. But they sure seem like they are eating way more protein. Which some guys have told me that they always had better bucks in drought years because they were eating more protein and mineral that they put out . But I sure am not seeing it this summer! I think the middle age class deer are fairing a lot better then the older and younger bucks for sure.

Comment

I’m past worrying about antlers, I’m worried about not having any recruitment at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
              I’m past worrying about antlers, I’m worried about not having any recruitment at all.
              You would think recruitment would be easy right now if your feeding

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                What's your 2022 expectations? We've had 2.5 inches on one ranch, and 5.5 on another. We've pounded the LnE to our herd, but honestly my expectations are very low with our native browse in such poor shape. This will be our 3rd year with below average rainfall, and 2022 by far takes the cake.

Those of you with cameras getting a sneak peak, what are you seeing compared to years past? Especially those in drought areas.
                Pretty much the same on our place. Decent size LF with maybe 3” this year. Poured the DD, LE and CS to them too but I think the excessive lack of available browse is just to much. A lot of the smaller tanks are dried up too so no bueno all around.
                Last edited by Texashookset; 07-24-2022, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I have given up on a real trophy rack this year.
                  Hoping some buck fawns survive for 2027 season.
                  Hate to lose a whole age class.

Comment

Don’t expect many trophies being shot this year. We are allready planning on giving most of our shooters a pass year and focusing on the culls that eluded us the past couple years. Only have what appears to be one good buck showing up on our North end and if it’s the deer we think he is he sure looks a lot less further along than last year, but at 7 years old it’s going to be hard to pass him up with the surrounding smaller pastures on that end. My experience in drought years is he’ll be broken up a lot sooner than usual even with all the supplemental feeding.

Comment

Rugged year for sure .

WE have taken some of our very best bucks during the worst droughts. Seems in very dry years the overall bell curve is down but nonetheless a few bucks seem to excel. I took a 195" clean 10 in a year with about 3" rain. He was about 8-10" bigger than the year before. He could be seen at several feeders every night during velvet. Always the anomaly .

Obviously critical to drought years is a solid feeding program and water distribution.Even with a feeding program recruitment could suffer if cows have denuded the habitat. grass is your friend.

I've seen a few pics from our country and the bucks look ok. Too early to tell . If there is good news the winter was pretty good.

Comment

We are up in the panhandle but are in about the same shape up there with the lack of rain. Most of our bucks look to be on track and have seen alot more kickers this year than last. Have a couple we are keeping our eye on and will see how they finish out

Comment

We have had a little less than 10 inches of rain this year so far and the deer look amazing, lots of kickers and drops and deer having been hammering the protein. Had 2 inches of rain a week ago and deer slacked off protein just a little because of the quick green-up. Last year was horrible for horns with 70+ inches of rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                            I have given up on a real trophy rack this year.
                            Hoping some buck fawns survive for 2027 season.
                            Hate to lose a whole age class.
                            Kinda takes the fun out of the whole thing when you're worried today about your season in 5 years. But I get it, because I do it too. LOL

Comment

Last year was above average rain fall state wide, and we saw quite a few records broken all over the state. This year will be the opposite lol gonna be a ****ty year boys..

Comment

Working...
                              X