Fishing life jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing life jackets

My 16 year old son has started fishing in the Guadalupe river near New Braunfels (lake dunlap) in his kayak with his friends. Also when we rent a house in Corpus / Rockport. He needs a low profile, comfortable life jacket while in the kayak. Any thoughts on one that is low profile and not to uncomfortable?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would look into one of the co2 inflatable ones. Like not wearing one at all almost.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
      I would look into one of the co2 inflatable ones. Like not wearing one at all almost.
      This. Much better than the foam block style.

Comment

I wear an NRS Chinook. It's comfortable as far life vests go but not what I would call low profile. An inflatable would be the only type I would consider low profile but if he's gets in the water a lot on the river like I do when I'm kayaking, it would auto inflate when it gets wet. Plus the inflatables dont usually have pockets. I really like my Chinook for river fishing. It's comfortable and I like that it has pockets for keeping gear handy.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

The auto inflatable life jackets is what we wear all day fishing. Lightweight and comfortable

Comment

I use an inflatable, but it has to be manually triggered. No problem if it gets wet.

Comment

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
              I use an inflatable, but it has to be manually triggered. No problem if it gets wet.
              I just dont trust a manually inflated vest. It's not the vest I don't trust, it's a situation where I'm not able to inflate it on my own that I'm concerned with. Especially kayaking a river. I've had some strange things happen and know crazy scenarios are possible. Slipping and hitting your head on a rock and being unconscious is just one. I'm not criticizing your choice just pointing out why I won't use one. I'd rather be a little uncomfortable and safe. Especially if it was one of my kids.
              I have an auto/manual inflatable but rarely wear it. Usually only when it's really hot out and if I'm kayaking open water like a lake. Even then if it's a really high traffic lake I'm wearing the Chinook.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by rolylane6; 07-15-2022, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks all for the comments. I like the NRS Chinook, I am afraid he will want to “try out” the auto inflation ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is just me: I wouldn't trust an auto inflatable in a yak. To much chance it'll get inflated. Then the process of re-arming while using it. And if it gets inflated again, well, you'd be more comfortable in a foam vest than trying to fish in a fully inflated auto vest.

I'd look for a foam vest with lots of netting between shoulders, sides, and back. Netted would help with air circulation. And provide some sun protection. Plus, less worry of having to worry about keeping it dry all the time. I have all three types. And prefer one of my Mustang inflatables for comfort when I'm in my Jon. But on a yak, I'd wear my netted vest for reliability and especially less worry.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                    This is your answer.

Comment

How has the fishing been? I haven't been since the dam broke.

Comment

The co2 inflatables are good. Comfortable and like wearing one but like stated above if the get the least bit wet will inflate and the cartridges are $25 to $30 each. Kinda cheap considering it might save your life when needed. Just have to keep it dry till then

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
                          The co2 inflatables are good. Comfortable and like wearing one but like stated above if the get the least bit wet will inflate and the cartridges are $25 to $30 each. Kinda cheap considering it might save your life when needed. Just have to keep it dry till then
                          Yep! I have Mustang inflatables. After several years the seltzer tablet will disintegrate and the jacket will inflate for no reason but I think they tell you to change out the tablets after a while anyhow. I’ve had one go off on it’s own and one inflate in a compartment on cedar creek after getting waked by about a 40’ Carver that went by us fishing a brush pile 30’ from us at half throttle. Threw a 6’ wall of water on us and swamped the boat waving at us the whole time.

Comment

If you get a inflatable in a kayak don’t get self inflating. They get wet and melt the strip it’s about $80 refill on the Mustangs.

Comment

Teach him to swim. I kid i kid[emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X