Black Angus Calves - Question on Selling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Angus Calves - Question on Selling

My father-in-law picked up a registered black Angus bull and some heifers a couple years ago (They live in Louisiana). They had five calves back in August or July of this year and they are now 3 to 400 pounds. He’s never been a rancher and has no idea how to proceed with cattle but I’m asking about information on how old calves need to be to sell and what is the going rate for calves right now. He’s got three bulls and two heifers. They’re in their upper 70s So we are trying to help them reduce the amount of mouth’s they need to feed on their farm. Would it be worth going over there and selling them here in Texas or our cattle prices pretty much the same in Louisiana?

Pics please

Comment

Auction barn is the easiest way to sell.. Light weight calves sell more/pound. The bigger they get the price/pound goes down but they weigh more.

Comment

I would say that 7 months. I'm not a rancher either but that's when my lessee usually pulls them. The cows will bellow continously for a few days afterwards looking for them. That always tears my wife up. Just starting out he would probably be best suited to have the sale barn pick them up.

Comment

Any where from 450 to 600 lbs is when I sale calves in central Texas. Lots of different variables as to why I sell when. Market was slightly higher last week in central Texas.

Comment

If he is needing to sell for money, I would sell 2 bulls and keep back the heifers to breed back. As far as selling to a auction barn is the easiest, can make more if you peddle them online. Alot of buyers that are looking for replacement cattle are turning to online seller, so they can see them in person and there temperament.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

This is where I sale in San Saba hope this gives u a idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
                Pics please
                Will do, if I can get my MIL to figure out how to take a pic with her 7 year old cell phone. We'll be going over there in a few weeks and I can get some pics.

Appreciate the advice guys.

Comment

Prices should be about the same, just find the closest sale barn. 5 calf’s not worth hauling back or trying to peddle.

Comment

I shoot for 8 months old. 550-650 lbs
                    July-aug calves still have a bit to go.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I probably hold mine too long. 700-900 but have had decent luck trying to get $1000 a head

Comment

7 months between 5-650 is what we aim for

Comment

I'm selling my blk steers and heifers around 4-500 lbs and getting 1.70-2.00 depending on the animal and the market. We use the sell barn in Graham.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                            Prices should be about the same, just find the closest sale barn. 5 calf’s not worth hauling back or trying to peddle.
                            Same. 400-500 lbs is the best weight in my opinion.

Comment

If they weigh 500 now then ask how much will it cost to put another 200lbs of weight on them at this time of year. Pretty sure you would lose $$$ unless the feed was free or cattle prices doubled.

Comment

Working...
                              X