Meopta reticle choices? Optika 5 4x20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meopta reticle choices? Optika 5 4x20

Looking at these for a 308 hunting rifle. Texas whitetail ranges and 400-500 yard max ranges out west if that helps. Looks like z plex, z plus, and bdc 3 are the reticle choices. Anyone have experience with these? Thank you. Jason
    Last edited by Jesus is Coming; 12-27-2021, 08:49 AM.

I grew up in West Texas. Any place I knew open enough for shots of 400 to 500 yards usually has more than average wind. A 10 mph wind will push most 308 bullets more than 10 inches within 400 yards. 10 inches is about the max kill zone size for a large whitetail. I rarely hunted with a wind 10mph or below in west Texas. Since none of the optika5 4-20 comes with exposed turrets you would probably want to hold for both elevation and windage. In my view, of the 3 the z plus is the only reticle which is even marginal for this task.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

The wind is always an issue it seems wherever I deer hunt. From Oregon, TX, OK, KS, NE, the kind is always blowing, except maybe first light and sunset. Always prime time when the rut isn't in full swing. I do some freelance work with Meopta and agree that compensating for wind can be tough and an issue. Many a day I wish the wind was ONLY blowing 10 mph! I have the Optika5 4-20 ZPlus reticle and like it a lot. Mine has been on a .300 WIn and now a .308 Win. Great performance and I love the weight. If you want to dial in your adjustments, take a look at the Optika6 3-18x50 FFP scope. It will also get the job done for you. As with anything, practice makes proficiency easier. If you have any questions about Meopta, feel free to reach out to me and I'll do what I can to help you out.

Comment

Thank you bman940. I sent you a message.

Comment

Just got a optika5, 2-10x42 with z plus to put on my 308, also hunt west Texas.
            Santa brought it so haven’t had a chance to use it yet. I don’t shoot as far as what you’re talking but having the windage on the reticle would definitely give me more confidence at that range.
            I’ve got a meopro with the z plex on my 7mag. Busted a buck last year at 290 yards.

Z plus has the elevation/windage increments, cross hairs are pretty thin overall.
            Z plex is the standard cross hair, blocky outer fine inner. 7mag also flatter shooting.
            I’m excited about the z plus for my 308.
            Really like the glass. All just my own experience and opinion. Have fun

Comment

Nice, Raider. I suggest to a lot of guys who don't want to mess with BDC or dial in their distances, use a point-blank zero. Strelok Pro and some other apps, allow you to pick the size of the vitals of what you are hunting and zero to your ballistics so that you will be in that zone out to whatever distance your ballistics allows. My Father In-Law loves that zero method so that there's not much thinking involved, just range landmarks and you are good.

Comment

Working...
              X