How close is too close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How close is too close

I'm brand new to public hunting. I don't want to be that guy that causes people to complain that I set up to close to them. I also don't know when I should get upset when someone sets up by me. I would prefer to never see another person once I get set. Just curious your thoughts? How close is too close?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Depends. That's why I go waaaaaayyyyy back.

Comment

If I see someone while walking to my spot and can’t make contact I typically back out. I probably over do it but I’m the same way, don’t want to hear any complaints. Especially out in BFE where someone could break in/damage my vehicle and get the hell out of dodge before I ever know it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

200 yards bow hunting
        500 yards rifle hunting... Rough estimate, depends on personal comfort

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

You'll know by this.
          If he sets up and your first thought is "are you kidding me?" and you are mad, well he's too close. If you see someone set up and you think to yourself "cool, maybe he will push em my way" you are good.
          As far as your set ups. Put yourself in their shoes. You'll know if your spot is ok or not. I don't want to deal with any of it. Like SabineHunter said, go deep. Get away from the folks that don't want to work as hard.

Comment

I prefer 500 yds if possible for any type of hunting (gun or bow).

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
              Depends. That's why I go waaaaaayyyyy back.
              I'm not against a hike, but I've never drug a deer for a mile +. I didn't want to go to far in and regret it, but would like to go a little further than most.

Comment

I was at LANWR this past week. I set up early in the scout day. Next morning, once I got through the brush into the opening. I saw flashlights off in the distance on a couple areas. After getting into my tripod, I saw flashlights directly across from me (350-400 yards out). they stayed in the brush line on the far side. Actually met up with them on the way in one morning. Nice couple. They were minimal movement as I was. Came across a fella that was in a group.We discussed where we were set up. They were just west of me. Again, no issues.

as a courtesy, if you walk up on folks and they let you know they are there... back out and go another direction and vice versa. If someone walks up on you... whistle, let'em see your orange and hopefully they back out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
                  You'll know by this.
                  If he sets up and your first thought is "are you kidding me?" and you are mad, well he's too close. If you see someone set up and you think to yourself "cool, maybe he will push em my way" you are good.
                  As far as your set ups. Put yourself in their shoes. You'll know if your spot is ok or not. I don't want to deal with any of it. Like SabineHunter said, go deep. Get away from the folks that don't want to work as hard.
                  That makes sense. I plan to get out early and stake a claim.

Comment

I figure we are all there to do the same thing. If we are to close it probably won't help any of us. I will back out if I see people near by. Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to learn a lot this weekend.

Comment

The trouble with public is that you may not know where the other guy is. If he gets there before you, or it’s very thick, he may be close and you never know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
                        You'll know by this.
                        X2, and go deep gets away from most encounters.

Comment

If I was to see someone else close to where I hunt I’d back out and go to a complete different area. I do a ton of scouting in the off season. As a self imposed rule I will not hunt a spot that has any sign of others hunters. I am looking for the spots no one else will go. I have only seen 1 other hunter while hunting in over 5 years.
                          I do occasionally bump into people on the way out. But that’s usually closer to the parking areas.

Comment

Carry a pack with cloth and quarter animals in the field if it’s allowed. Keep proof of sex. Or get a two wheel off-road cart. I’ve carried out two nilgai and it was not fun

Comment

Some public hunts are done practice a pre-selected blind method. While other areas are a free for all. And what I mean is these areas are where a hunter has the option to walk and stalk or sit and wait for something to come by. A lot of your NWR's operate this way, while most state park, public hunts use the pre-selected blind method, or assign you a block of land within the park. And the assigned block is for your use only. I've been hunting public hunts for many years and done all three. I personally prefer the NWR's. Hunters don't try to get near you on purpose, but when you have hunter's that walk and stalk and don't see you sitting some where, it is just one of those things you have to accept. Because when a whole area is open to hunting, you can't reserve anything at an NWR.

Comment

Working...
                              X