Vegetarian hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
    I've never eaten a turkey but our new lease is covered up in them so it probably won't be long before I give it a try. Is there a difference bw a jake, tom or hen as far as how they taste goes?
    Not much. It’s best if you cut the breast into strips and chicken fry it.

Comment

I know a guy who went vegetarian (not completely vegan) maybe 15 years ago when he was in poor health and was trying to lose a lot of weight. It was supposed to be a temporary reset but he felt so much better he stuck with it. I know he still dove hunts occasionally because he enjoys it but he gives away his birds. He also takes his grandkids fishing regularly - it's mostly catch and release or he keeps fish for his family members. There are many people who are vegetarians for reasons other than concern for animal rights

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        It was supposed to be a temporary reset but he felt so much better he stuck with it. There are many people who are vegetarians for reasons other than concern for animal rights
        This was exact my experience as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
          This was exact my experience as well.
          Same.

Comment

I was talking to a guy I know pretty well this week who is a vegetarian and also an avid outdoors person but has never hunted. He's somewhere around 50 years old. This guy does a lot of backpacking, camping and other outdoors stuff. He rebuilds cars in his spare time and owns a construction/remodeling business. Surprisingly he said he would like to go hunting and if he harvested something would eat it. Particularly he's interested in turkey hunting. he said he became a vegetarian bc it was easier to hook up with the hippy girls when he was young living in SoCal if he was a vegetarian lol. He had some other reasons too but doesn't have any issues with harvesting wild game for food. In fact, he has invited my boys and I to his place to hunt hogs before.

anyways, I was curious if we have any vegetarian bowhunters on here or any of you have had any experiences taking a vegetarian hunting for the first time?
            Whatever you do don't let him start out on wild turkey or he'll go back to being a vegetarian.

edit:
            Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            If you’re gonna try and convert him take him on an Axis hunt if he's gonna eat it. A wild turkey would make me turn vegetarian.
            I guess I could have read ONE freaking post before I replied. Ah well, glad I'm not the only one thinking along those lines.
            Last edited by justletmein; 08-09-2022, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Yeah Wild Turkey plus vegetables you’ll lose weight & your drivers license

Comment

ok so I'll mix in a big old wild boar hunt with the wild turkey and really get him hooked on wild game meat.

Comment

Is he a liberal?

Comment

I used to be a vegetarian bowhunter. The trees and plants were a lot easier to hit than deer but I could never get my arrows out of the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                      Not much. It’s best if you cut the breast into strips and chicken fry it.
                      I've never eaten a turkey but our new lease is covered up in them so it probably won't be long before I give it a try. Is there a difference bw a jake, tom or hen as far as how they taste goes?
                      I've never noticed a difference in taste between them. I love it fried as well but also I like to cut the breast into chunks, wrap in peppered bacon and a jalapeno and smoke them on mesquite. That is very good also.

Comment

Some days I'm vegan. Some days I'm not. Was mostly last week. But I did quit eating beef and pork out of the grocery store again, little over 3 years ago. I do eat wild meats. And chicken and turkey out of the store. But I sure get tired chicken and turkey l the time.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                          I love wild turkey and so does everyone that knows how to cook it. I don't eat anything but the breast. Filet it off the bone and cut it into strip taking care to remove all the tendons. Soak it in buttermilk for a few hours or overnight. Dust in flour, garlic salt and Tony's for your taste. Deep fry it as you would fish or chicken strips.
                          It is to kill for...
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Problem is a vegetarian that has never hunted won’t know how to cook it. Lots of hunters don’t know how either.

Comment

I've had two friends at deaths door step and tossed a hail marry and just cut crap plus meat. Two separate reasons, two different guys, both really sick, both completely changed and still with us.

The earth isn't flat but our teeth are for the most part. Lol

Comment

With corn prices the way they are I wouldn't take him. Can't afford to fees him and the deer.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                                I'm about 95% vegetarian, not vegan .
                                Unless I go out and eat a steak, or thaw out something I killed, meat is rarely in the diet.
                                I could see someone hunting and not eating meat.
                                Believe it or not there are people who don't eat meat for reasons other than the PETA agenda.
                                If he claims to be a MadHatter he may just be....

Comment

Working...
                                X