How long to double your salary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a career question. For those who have made it there, how many years into your career did it take to double your salary from your first professional job? This could mean first salaried job post-college, post-trade school/apprenticeship, etc. Or hourly equivalent. Your first “real” job. I know that line is drawn differently for everyone and for every industry.

5 years or less? 10? 20+?

Well under 5 years. When you start out making jack squat it isnt difficult to raise your pay to just squat.

Comment

Never happen in most cases.

Comment

I can’t remember that far back but my first job payed $1.65 an hour.

Comment

Well I worked full time for a ****ty company in 2021 fresh out of college because no one was hiring due to kung flu. Worked with them for almost a year and said F this and applied to several jobs knowing I was worth more than what I was paid. Now I make double, set my own schedule, and free travel to and from Alaska. But I did start out making jack **** so it wasn't a far leap to double LOL

Comment

When I left the military after serving 11 years I tripled my salary the first year.

Comment

For me it was 8 years.

Was able to 3x it in 16 yrs. Only worked for two companies in my career. Just talking base pay.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                Just a career question. For those who have made it there, how many years into your career did it take to double your salary from your first professional job? This could mean first salaried job post-college, post-trade school/apprenticeship, etc. Or hourly equivalent. Your first “real” job. I know that line is drawn differently for everyone and for every industry.

5 years or less? 10? 20+?

Back when I was in construction sales started at 35k by year 5 65k year 7 and on 100+ then quit it all to make nothing owing my own restaurant! What an idiot!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

12 years. And that was 10 years ago. I'm a pretty long way from doubling again.

Comment

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
                    Back when I was in construction sales started at 35k by year 5 65k year 7 and on 100+ then quit it all to make nothing owing my own restaurant! What an idiot!!!

I was there last week, and your groceries, and your people were top notch…yet again. Reccomend to my cousin who lives in Aledo, and he said “oh, I know…”.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                      Well under 5 years. When you start out making jack squat it isnt difficult to raise your pay to just squat.

This lol. Im a college boy now but wasn’t till my mid 30s.

Comment

5 years. The salary itself is not quite double (almost) but when you factor bonus and other perks it is way more

Comment

5 years. Stuck with it for 7 years then took a cut to get more home time. No regrets on that part

Comment

Took me a couple of years to double my salary at my first job as an electronics technician. Salary was close to triple of starting salary when I left the company after four years.

Comment

1st time I doubled my salary was at 12, 2nd at 16, again at 22 or so, close to again by 28 but obama….did it last year except for extra large tax beating (god forbid we make a little money).

I started really low.

Comment

Working...
                              X