Port Mansfield Artificial Lures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port Mansfield Artificial Lures

Headed down to Port Mansfield next weekend for the annual two-day company fishing tournament. We do a pot for biggest slot trout, biggest slot red and biggest (quantity) stringer. The guys that run the tournament typically pre-pay for bait (live shrimp) so that all of the boats are covered. In previous years, the shrimp have been very small and therefore resulted in running into a lot of hardheads and dink trout. With the new trout regulations, I'm going to try and specifically target redfish in hopes in winning the big red pot. I typically prefer to wade fish with artificial but I only fish that area once a year for this specific tournament, so I'm still fairly unfamiliar with the area with this only being my 3rd year going. Just curious what guys have had success with in the past. I typically like to start off with topwater early and then switch to soft plastic or maybe even gold spoon if i'm targeting redfish.

My go-to is a regular sized DSL on a Title Shot Shorty jighead so I can work it around grass without worrying about catching the grass. This setup is money on shallow redfish.

Last time down we also hammered them on KWiggler Wig-a-Lo and Balltail Shad in the Truth color on a 3/16 Kwiggler jighead.
    I also prefer to fish topwater early as a fish finder. If fish are around, they will typically blow up the topwater and then I can try a few baits to see what else they are liking.

Comment

3/16 kwiggler jig head with any Kwiggler plastic. Pick a few colors and go with that. Another favorite is Down South Lures Dirty tequila. Best of luck and post pics.

Comment

I still feel the 1/4oz gold spoon is the medicine for reds...having said that, the last time out we slaughtered them with FP3's & gulps.

Comment

Gold spoon if there isn't floating grass.

Comment

Spoon or plum chartreuse artificial will do the trick.

Comment

Clown spook Jr's are the best topwater I have found for reds. I'd rig one with single hooks for floating grass or to keep them rubbing you off in eel grass.

Guys I know that catch alot of reds love gulps or little johns under a popping cork.

Also, down there I'd always be prepared to go weedless.
              Last edited by El General; 04-19-2022, 10:14 AM.

Comment

corky fatboy floater(gringo), 3/4 ounce gold spoon, and its hard to beat a Norton sand eel in texas roach or any color variation with purple. nothing wrong with soaking some sardines way up in some shallow sand, you want have near the problem with perch/hardheads that shallow.

Comment

This and use a 1/8 ounce lead head.

Comment

Anyone been down recently? How has the fishing been? I haven't been down since end of April 2021 right after the freeze and it was extremely slow, especially the trout.

Comment

Fishing has been very good. Don’t let the wind discourage you. I catch 90% of my reds on wake baits. Any small shallow crankbait that you can wake on top. Bandit footloose in pearl is my favorite.

Comment

Cork and gulp or cork and little john
                        1/4 and 1/2 oz weedless spoons are good
                        Paddletails on 1/16 to 1/8 oz heads in whatever color and brand you like. You can't hardly go wrong with roach, rootbeer/chart and glow/chart for reds.
                        Maybe small topwaters like a Super Spook Jr or She Pup. I like catching reds on topwaters as much as anyone but when I am trying to win a tournament I generally won't throw topwaters much for reds. You just miss too many fish. Cork and gulp and paddletails on a light jighead are usually my gotos for tournaments. Cork and gulp for blind casting, paddletail on a light jighead for blind casting and sight casting. The last option is a wakebait. Reds love 'em.

Comment

Forecast looking like 20+ mph winds both Thursday and Friday, should be fun...

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                            corky fatboy floater(gringo), 3/4 ounce gold spoon, and its hard to beat a Norton sand eel in texas roach or any color variation with purple. nothing wrong with soaking some sardines way up in some shallow sand, you want have near the problem with perch/hardheads that shallow.
                            These are my 3 favorites for Port Mansfield.

The Norton Sand Eel’s & the Hogie’s
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                              You must know Danny Neu

Comment

Working...
                              X