Is cross contamination possible??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is cross contamination possible??

I'm headed to south Texas lease this weekend hoping to put one more doe and a hog in the cooler. I have a 105qt Yeti that can hold 2 deer easily.
    If were to put a doe and hog in the same cooler, could Trichinosis infect the deer meat?

Imo. Not if you ice them down

Comment

You need to bring the meat to 5F for 20 days to render trichinosis inert. So ice water won't do it. Having said that, trichinosis is a very rare decease, specially in wild hogs. I read somewhere that only 6 cases or so can be attributed to wild hogs in a 5 years study. The majority of cases are from bear meat!.

Comment

It is possible but not very probable.
        At the point in their life where the worms are in the meat they are in cyst form, IOW, immobile. They will not 'migrate' from one cut piece of meat to another. However, cross contamination is always a possibility as there are loose particles in and around each other, but you have to eat an infected piece of hog by accident; it isn't going to get into the meat of the deer but it may get onto it.

Having said that, I have done what you are describing many times and never contracted Trichinellosis; but I have also eaten CWD infected meat, your risk tolerance may be different than mine.

As jomw10 said, the incident of infection from wild pig in the study he was reciting is 6%, 6 people out of 90; as an aside, 10 people (11%) were infected by commercial pork.

(Source) Trichinellosis Surveillance 2008-2012 CDC

The safest way, that is still field expedient, would be to cut one of the animals up into the major muscle groups and place in ZipLock baggies to keep contact at a minimum while in the cooler; if you are already going to quarter it doing this isn't that much more work.

Comment

bag the meat first and it won't be a problem

Comment

Maybe a divider would work?

Comment

Hell no, get 2 doe.

Comment

Trash bags.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                  Trash bags.
                  Hello!!!^^^

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Get the puncture resistant trash bags and go to it sir.

Comment

Bag one of your animals before putting it in the cooler

Comment

Trash bags and ice. Boom !

Comment

Just cook the meat before you eat it and no problems.

Comment

Why are you worried about it in the deer, but not the pig? Am I missing something?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

If your that worried about it don't shoot a hog......duh Why would you even consider it if your worried at all. Granted it sounds like it's rare anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X