Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luckiest or best shots you've ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 55 yard - "on a dare follow up shot" at Austin Archery club. Right is the then President of the club.

He stuck the ball first, and I not only hit it on follow, I tried to robinhood his arrow - slapped it by a hair.

That was one of those pressure with onlooker(s) shots.

Like Bowwiz and BigL calling me out on the 20 yard thumbtac - robinhood follow up. Pressure to do the shot.

TBH ball cap - GO TEAM AUSTIN!

Back then, many of us here shot - and shot against each other for all the marbles.

Comment

The Mount 5/1 5" deck gun.

Attended the NAVAL GUNFIRE SUPPORT SCHOOL in Long Beach CALI back in 81.

Yeah - got trained to shoot this SOB - by the best with many who instructed then, fought the old wars.

Starboard side breech = No one at close quarters want any of this gun.

Comment

The old DC2 went down to the Armory, grabbed his 44 magnum, and proceeded to dispatch the evenings chow.

Albatross Banks - SW Kodiak - Pacific Ocean on a Halibut provisioning stop - we fished and filled the freezers with fish. Shot guns and had a bbq.

Here's the dinner - had to drop the 25ft motorsurf boat to deck and haul this halibut aboard.

Comment

Taking turns on the old Browning 50s

I might be 20 years old here? - setting up a Browning - getting ready for the gunshow!

And the show - had literally every available hand on deck watching and hooting - no PRESSURE!

Comment

20mm - belt fed - HE projectiles - explode on impact

M16- shooting freehand on a moving deck = PEANUT GALLERY CITY!

My go on the fantail - 870 wingmaster - the shooting show - we shot for hours

It's a good way to keep crew in tune and blow steam - side bets galore! NO PRESSURE

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              Starling in flight via SLINGSHOT. I was around 12 or 13. The birds where roosting ACROSS the street. Cousin and I started shooting ROCKS at them as they flew by.

I filled the pouch with TWO stones partially covered in ASPHALT from when they paved the road. Stretched the bands to FULL TILT and let her rip. Down goes birdie at Maybe a 22.373 yard shot

I know...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
              Top that [emoji122]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

The old Gang at Archery Country Austin TX

Howdy Bowwiz - hope you are doing good Amigo!

I'm second from left front and Bowwiz is right next to me.

Comment

I've witnessed shots made by KRIVOMAN, ARCHERY1ST, SIMEK, WILDMAN, SIKA, BIGL, BOWIZ (so many shots), SPUR, BigL, Drake Shurley - Elbow Lake Ranch and some of his clients - DAVID COUSINS - all of us shooting - at the best of their games - in a PEANUT GALLERY SETTING.

Drake and I met Chuck Adams years ago, the first man to complete the B&C Archery "GRAND SLAM" on the books = He wanted my first compound bow - Allen/Jennings Hunter Special - the world's first compound system - which I too - transitioned from sticks and instinctive to - shooting wheel bows instinctively from 1972 up to 1998 before - FIBER OPTIC PIN SITES - hit the scene with - MODERN DUAL AND SINGLE CAM BOW COMPOUNDS.

When Texas went from sticks in the 60s to wheels and sticks - I was engaged with all - as a kid here in Texas - forced by my Dad - to shoot bows and he made me hunt - as my friends and the rest of the normal Texas kids - learned firearms with zero - archery training.

I was that child that was trained sticks and then wheels = guns were custom in OPA and Dad's realm of training - bows began as my Dad learned as a late 20 to early 30 year old Chemical Engineer (mind set - math and chemistry his Major Texas Tech degrees - with and English minor - Dad didn't learn English till 9 - spoke Spanish (born in Mexico by Euro parents) and finished college with mastering English to points, he could teach English to immigrant Spanish Polish and German immigrants.

I mention this here because - my experiences early on - were made by men who went thru WWI & WWII - from a family back ground - occupied by Nazis and a German takedown. They never gave in - and they were forced to fight - and move - to survive = as the world during this era unfolded.

Here where I live in the town of Boerne Texas = German settlement - we have a County sponsored "small arms - Boerne Shooting Club - .22 or less" range.

This range has been run by the Germanic locals - since the beginning of Boerne.

The test in this region of Texas, by settlers from my PRUSSIAN background, all of escaping EU as WWI & WWII kicked off, those like my generations before, took the chance to come here to begin new.

This little range - has been a hidden jewel with several generations from the old country, to showcase marksmanship locally, with hzero commercial marketing and or coverage - to cover.

As it is here - many of them - have made it a "CLUB INSIDE ONLY" group, where they do not broadcast a shooting tradition, for decades.

As a child of many of these Men and Families - who shaped the more recent Prussian transplants to here - the 1930s crowd - so many of these families had shooters - who shot top level - with serious shooting - within their respective - family tribes.

And their skills may or may not, show up, at VFW Sponsored Turkey Shoots.

I learned early on, being a first born American, shooting in Texas from the Motherland, I had a lot riding on me - from my side - tradition.

Today's web based media outlets, showcase current generations of shooters.

I lived and learned all = by men = who were of another time. No one then, shared skills outside - it was SHOWCASED at competitive shoots.

Many here = are too young to know the experiences of post WWII feelings/culture, of a group of new world Texans from there, who did not drink NAZIS KOOL AID

So many of their best Germanic Families eft, before Hitler could kick off round two, embroiling these families' into occupation and death.

Small arms skills do not compete against a mechanized takeover with aircraft and tanks with chemical weapons. These EU countries, occupied by Nazis, the rebels had to take it down to SNIPE - to compete.

Many of their best, bailed politically watching markets and the USA's slow support of countering, 2 years after Hitler invaded and drew the USA in, with Japan helping pivot our involvement, into a war, many there knew was coming.

OPA Z went thru WWI as a supporting "HORSEMAN" charged with taking care of the then, WWI - battle worthy horses in stables. Before machinery took over where we are today - he was born in the late 1800s - horseback was his platform to shoot from.

Closing - military training - SEAGOING SERVICES - All shots made, are not static target range shots. The ship is moving - the targets are moving - everything is MOVING.

STATIC SHOOTING IS EASY

MOVING GUN AND MOVING TARGET - ALL WEAPON SYSTEMS

Those who pursue - receive the best "wing and run" shooting skills on the planet.

Closing with this - OPA and Pops - they didn't do 20 inside - taking the training to this.

Snipers are static = for a reason. Shot counts per rounds expended at range.

How many snipers have we learned from, shooting from a SHIP BOAT or HELO?

Not many

Rob sends

Comment

I sat around last night watching the fireworks and BOOM.

Memory jogged.

After talking to the SLOCK MASTER Tim wells at a hunting show and reading threads here I had to have a magnum blow gun.

Sitting on the patio sipping on LONE star one of the squirrels began to molest my BIRD feeder. Off to the gun room and back to my patio and FROSTY beverage.

It didn't take long for my quarry to return. Deep breath, Steady hand, whooosh!! 6" hand stropped dart sent and PASS thru at 12 yards.

My first dart skim.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      I sat around last night watching the fireworks and BOOM.

Memory jogged.

After talking to the SLOCK MASTER Tim wells at a hunting show and reading threads here I had to have a magnum blow gun.

Sitting on the patio sipping on LONE star one of the squirrels began to molest my BIRD feeder. Off to the gun room and back to my patio and FROSTY beverage.

It didn't take long for my quarry to return. Deep breath, Steady hand, whooosh!! 6" hand stropped dart sent and PASS thru at 12 yards.

My first dart skim.

That is so awesome. Very nice right up

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Shot a coyote from my boat in the Land Cut around 60 yards while idling lol. Hit him the first shot and he fell down but got up and started running and I shot him again and he folded up.

4" S&W Model 686 lol. My buddies still talk about to this day

Comment

Bobcat at full trot with a hand me down Martin jaguar.

Comment

First critter I ever killed was at my family cabin in Maine-- I was turned loose with my Red Ryder and spotted a Dove on the bank of the river-- I made a long and cautious stalk along the brush on the opposite side and then peered over and made a perfect headshot!!

At a friend's ranch this summer we were in the SxS and stopped by the 'snake tank' and it lived up to it's name with a rather aggressive 'nope rope' headed our way it was a quick 'from concealment' shot that connected directly to the noggin.

FIRST bowkill, 2006-- Hunting Oklahoma, from the ground, tryin to stalk in on deer and finally get to bow range of some does-- I draw and they are out on HIGH alert now-- I had picked out a big one and let it fly.... I see my arrow deflect and heard an impact but saw whitetails going every which way except the way my deer was facing. I'm totally dejected so I walk up to get my arrow (AGAIN) and I see my fletching sticking STRAIGHT in the air... at the other end was a dead doe with a Montec G5 through her ear. Still have that euro!

BUT- the most impressive hunting shots I've seen were with buddies who've managed some impressive feats!

1. Colorado mule deer-- 296 yards across large aspen patch on a great buck who was one step from being down a draw and never seen again.

2. Wyoming mule deer-- one buddy has dropped trou and another is nearby waiting to keep moving- I'm on a ridge above them-- all of a sudden a great buck (19" G2s) comes FLYING through (bumped by an ATV). Trou never sees him but my other buddy makes a great 100yd running one shot kill on this buck with his 270win-- stone dead, nose pushing up dirt.

Comment

bow...shot a squirrel in the head at 40 yards with a recurve bow

rifle...shot a spike buck at 625 yards with a Rem 700 270Win
                              shot an eight point at 525 yards with a Rem 700 25/06

pistol...shot a swimming snake at 100 yards with a pre-war Colt Woodsman 4"
                              bbl, first shot.
                              shot a two foot log on the Warrior River at 150 yards with a Colt LW
                              Commander 45ACP, first shot

Comment

PB was nearly a disaster. High and back. Caught the major artery below the spine. Didn't go 50. Still get nauseated thinking about it. Very lucky.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X