308 new savage bolt action keeps on getting stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

308 new savage bolt action keeps on getting stuck

New birthday rifle for my 13 year old. Savage .308 and have shot 4 boxes of Winchester thru it and bolt has been stuck 4 times after firing and we rotate bolt and then can’t pull back/re-cycle the round. Any ideas on solution?

Is the bolt dry?
    I had a 783 that liked to be well oiled. After it was **** and cycled some it got smoother

Comment

I've used some rem oil from a spray can, but I'll hit it with a crap ton of lube! Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Had one that would do that. Smith reamed the bore just a touch and was all good

Comment

Headspace issue.

If you have a rifle that bad, oil ain’t gonna fix that. Have a gunsmith check it out before something bad happens.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Headspace issue.

If you have a rifle that bad, oil ain’t gonna fix that. Have a gunsmith check it out before something bad happens.
            Yep. Does bolt seem to be fine on an unfired shell? If so, sounds like a pressure issue to me.

Comment

I don't think pressure or heads pace issues if the bolt handl lift, just won't (slide) back. Rough chamber is my guess. Are there any marks on the ejected cases?

Comment

I have a model 10 that's kinda gritty like that.

Comment

Agree on head space. Factory ammo should not do that. Get it fixed pronto.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Headspace issue.

Yep. I had the same issue with a Savage model 12 and sent it back. They fixed it quickly and sent it back. Was a tack driver after that.

Comment

Yeah I’d check the chamber, with factory ammo being hard to extract sounds like a headspace problem possibly. It could be something mechanical but to be safe get it checked.

[emoji1662]

Comment

Probably not headspace, that would cause sticky bolt on the uplift. I would lean toward dirty or rough chamber.

Comment

Clean chamber and then have primary extraction checked if that doesn’t work.

Comment

Hate to hear this.
                            I love my savages!

Let us know the outcome

BP

Comment

Working...
                            X