X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft/insert selection. Help needed.

New Mathews V3, 29" draw, 70lbs.
    Target: Elk

Can anyone help me figure out where to get started?
    Planning on running a 125gr Annihilator XL.
    What shaft/insert would y'all recommend?
    I have no idea what diameter, grain/inch, or stiffness to go with.

I just feel like there are too many variables and as soon as I change one to match another, it'll throw off something else and I'll be in a never ending cycle.

Que 1000 different subjective answers...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andreww5001 View Post
      Que 1000 different subjective answers...

That's what I was afraid of.

Found something on easton's site! apparently I need to get my arrow length measurement and they've got a cool chart for it...

FMJ & Carbon Arrow Size Selection Bow Type* Compound Bow (301-340 FPS) Recurve Bow Long Bow Long Bow Poundage* 38-43 44-49 50-55 56-61 62-67 68-73

They're saying bc of the rated speed, broadhead weight, and finger release I should use the 260, 250, or 240... pretty cool place to get started.

Comment

With those specs on your bow, you are going to be in a minimum of a 300 spine and likely even more stiff. Those charts you referred to are the best place to find the spine you'll need. Almost all major arrow companies make a respectable arrow. I'm personally shooting the Easton Axis right now. I'd recommend them, Gold Tip, Victory, or black eagle. There are 100 different ways to build a lethal arrow. My personal belief is that it is advantageous to have a little more weight forward so look for an arrow that comes with an upgrade over the traditional aluminum inserts that weight only 13 grains or so. Or you can upgrade the insert of any arrow with after market inserts like those made by Ethics archery. My recommendation is build something moderate in weight. Shooting to land with everything on the arrow around 500 grains. That has been a sweet spot for many to achieve max penetration with maximized ballistics. More important than arrow weight or the logo stamped on it is that your bow I tuned as well as it can be. Tons of information on YouTube and other sites that can help you with that. Good luck.

Comment

The most important thing is structural integrity. Easton axis sirius Apollos victory rip tko are all good 5mm arrows . I'm 29 inch draw and shoot 75 lbs. I shoot 300 spine arrows but I cut them down to 27 inches. You may not be comfortable with the broadhead over the shelf..
          I would figure out what insert and broadhead weight you want to run and go get a 250 and 300 spine arrow made. Shoot them and decide what you like.

Comment

With those specs on your bow, you are going to be in a minimum of a 300 spine and likely even more stiff. Those charts you referred to are the best place to find the spine you'll need. Almost all major arrow companies make a respectable arrow. I'm personally shooting the Easton Axis right now. I'd recommend them, Gold Tip, Victory, or black eagle. There are 100 different ways to build a lethal arrow. My personal belief is that it is advantageous to have a little more weight forward so look for an arrow that comes with an upgrade over the traditional aluminum inserts that weight only 13 grains or so. Or you can upgrade the insert of any arrow with after market inserts like those made by Ethics archery. My recommendation is build something moderate in weight. Shooting to land with everything on the arrow around 500 grains. That has been a sweet spot for many to achieve max penetration with maximized ballistics. More important than arrow weight or the logo stamped on it is that your bow I tuned as well as it can be. Tons of information on YouTube and other sites that can help you with that. Good luck.
            Some of the best advice as usual!

Comment

Very well said, and great advice. I agree with all of it. If you like to tinker the OnTarget software is really handy, and there is also a mobile app. The part I bolded above cannot be over-emphasized. I've done some devastating things to relatively large pigs with a "slow" bow and 450gr arrows... but super clean flying arrows that arrived with bad intentions.

Comment

I have a very similar set up: Mathews Halon 6, 29" Draw, 70lb. I currently have a set up that will do very well (my opinion) for your needs.

Easton Hexx 260 spine - 30" carbon to carbon
                Ethics Archery inserts and collars - 125gr.
                100gr. BH's
                2" Blazer vanes - 3 fletch
                Nockturnals

This gives me a TAW of 542gr. with 17.7% FOC and 275FPS.

As said above, be sure to try a bunch of different combinations to make sure it works for you.

Comment

Thanks all!
                  Went by the shop today and we ended up going with a 300 spine gold tip kinetic pierce cut at 29.5"
                  TAW is 466.5, speed 286, KE of 85 ft-lbs.
                  Excited to plow through a bull elk next year and decimate some little whitetail very soon!

Comment

Working...
                  X