80 lb Draw Weight bows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 lb Draw Weight bows?

I am looking for a bow, and want to go to a 80 lb draw weight. I have to research a bit before going to the bow shop so I know what I am getting into. I want to understand the very basics before I got to the bow shop, and Google has not been very helpful in my searches.

Does anyone make an 80 lb draw weight bow that is light enough to be carried through the elk woods?
    Do I have to go to aftermarket limbs to get there?
    What does it do to the life of the bow?
    Does one company make a better bow to modify than others? I am preferential to Mathews, but I hold no loyalty to any company.
    What else should I consider?

My end game is to shoot a 500 gr arrow out to 100 yards. I don't plan to shoot at animals that far, but for target practice, nothing makes a 70 yard shot easier than practicing at 80 yards. And my current HTX, while it works for that shot, it maxxed around 80 yards.

I know Pse and Hoyt does. I will add when my pse was at 76 I was able to get wayyy past 100 with my sight. 76/28/494/283 FPS. Now at 65 lbs with the same arrow I can still get 100

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
      I know Pse and Hoyt does. I will add when my pse was at 76 I was able to get wayyy past 100 with my sight. 76/28/494/283 FPS. Now at 65 lbs with the same arrow I can still get 100
      Good to know. Going to start looking there. I appreciate it.

Comment

I have the Matthews V3 27. 75 LB module’s and a custom string made it’s peak draw weight 82LBs.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinG View Post
          I have the Matthews V3 27. 75 LB module’s and a custom string made it’s peak draw weight 82LBs.
          Interesting. How do you like it? Do you know what you are getting for speed? How heavy of arrow are you shooting?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinG View Post
            Could be a dangerous way to run that bow. 2-3# above your listed weight is ok. 7# means you could be running it well beyond factory spec and void your warranty.

Not saying that’s the case here, just something you may want to check. Run a tape on your ATA and BH measurements to be sure you’re not overtwisted on your cables.

To the OP, an 80# bow is going to have the same mass weight as a 70# bow, so that’s not an issue. You’re going to have a tough time finding a shop that has one on the shelf, so there’s something to think about before purchasing. Go draw back and let down on a 70# bow. If it’s tough to let down without it yanking your arm, I wouldn’t recommend an 80# bow.

However, it’s your bow so do whatever you’d like and have fun shooting!

Comment

[QUOTE=popup_menace;15873563]Could be a dangerous way to run that bow. 2-3# above your listed weight is ok. 7# means you could be running it well beyond factory spec and void your warranty.

oh I don't know. All you can do is crank it all the way up and that won't void warranty. I have cranked every bow I have had all the way up and never got more than a pound or two over the 70lb rating but every bow is different.

Comment

I’d recommend looking at the PSE Full Throttle. It can do what an 80#er can do at 70#’s. I’ve got mine set at 60#’s now & shoots a 471gr @ 295. Also I have freind that has an 80# bow, I believe it’s Hoyt but not sure. I’ll have to ask him his specs on the bow but he’s shooting a 500gr arrow @ 300. My Full Throttle at 70 is a tad bit faster than his. We’re supposed to get together & shoot & I can get some #’s for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My last Hoyt (nitrum) and the one now (ventum) are 80 lbs. I carried the nitrum after elk several times.

Comment

I have an RX3 that’s 80#.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. I will be researching heavily once I get home.

Once the new bows come out and the bow shop traffic dies down a bit, I will be going in to see what they can do for me.

Comment

I shot 80 lbs for a good while. All Bowtech Bows. Allegiance, Tribute, Guardian and Insanity. I still have the Insanity.

Comment

RX5 ultra is a solid bow that goes up to 80#. Thinking about trading in my bear (which I love) to buy one.

Comment

[quote=Tom;15880067]
                            Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                            Could be a dangerous way to run that bow. 2-3# above your listed weight is ok. 7# means you could be running it well beyond factory spec and void your warranty.

oh I don't know. All you can do is crank it all the way up and that won't void warranty. I have cranked every bow I have had all the way up and never got more than a pound or two over the 70lb rating but every bow is different.
                            Put a few twists in your cables and you can get more than two pounds over the limb rating...

Comment

PSE just came out with the Levitate, it’s a carbon bow with 80lb limbs. Weighs 3.6 but it comes with a price tag lol John Dudley just did a video on youtube setting it up and shooting out to 120 yards with a 5xx grain arrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X