Any 4 wheeler guru's here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any 4 wheeler guru's here?

So i have a question. I acquired a '99 Polaris Sportsman 500 that's in rough shape. Took it a local shop that does pretty good work and i feel shoot me straight, and they priced out a cost to repair it with OEM Polaris parts. Needless to say, its a lot more than i'm willing to pay. However, after looking up a few parts the say i need online, i'm only about $500 in parts give or take. I'm just trying to figure out if its worth the time and money to fix it myself? Has anyone does this before and regretted it? recommend it?

in the same boat, diff wheeler

Comment

They really aren't that complicated. What exactly are you talking about having to repair. Obviously replacing brakes is a whole other animal than replacing rings but most everything is doable in your garage. I am sure with a little Google-fu you can find a service manual that will be a great help. Youtube is also a great source of info.

Comment

That's a shot in the dark until you tell us what's wrong with it, or what parts it needs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends what parts it is and whats wrong with it. But for something you can get to i say do it yourself.

Comment

What 175gr7.62 said I've done several myself currently redoing a honda rancher 350es. It's a learning process but its rewarding and I don't have the money to pay a shop.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
              Depends what parts it is and whats wrong with it. But for something you can get to i say do it yourself.
              So i go to pick it up Saturday and get the parts list they wrote up but i'm told it needs a new Stator, new wiring harness, both rear axles need to be replaced and brakes all the way around. I'm also assuming i would have to rebuild the carb. Was told that the motor does have really good compression.

Comment

I just replaced the battery and all new front brake parts on a 99 Kingquad and spent about $650 on parts.
                If the bike hadn't been garaged kept and still running like new I don't know if I would have put that in it.
                Just depends on the condition and what you're willing to put in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Hogg View Post
                  I just replaced the battery and all new front brake parts on a 99 Kingquad and spent about $650 on parts.
                  If the bike hadn't been garaged kept and still running like new I don't know if I would have put that in it.
                  Just depends on the condition and what you're willing to put in it.
                  So 650 just in brakes?

Comment

Nothing to it then. Take your parts list and get a price from babbitts. Bing it.

Comment

Man I just bought a 07 brute force 750 a few months ago.....Lots of beer/ wrench time in the garage..im in for about 1k. But now with everything working like it should....I am really happy with the outcome. As long as you don't go over the blue book value in my opinion, its worth it

Comment

Brakes will add up fast. My Yamaha grizzly calipers are around $300 a pop.....x4. No aftermarket available

Me personally wouldn’t take on a Polaris project... but I do have a strong dislike for Polaris

Comment

I had a 98 (99 is the same design) and it had front brakes, and a pinion brake. No rear brakes. The pinion brake was actuated the foot lever, and wasn't really effective. When the caliper locked up, I blinded that one off, and only used the front brakes. They did all the work anyway.

Comment

I've been looking for a used 4 wheeler for a few weeks now and I dont recall one listed that has good brakes or a functioning carb.

Comment

If you go to cheapcycleparts.com it has diagrams that will really help you out. I bought 2 RZR900's that came on 4 pallets completely disassembled. Just fill in make, model and year and scroll thru the pages. It even gives you part numbers for stuff that have been discontinued and gives you cross reference numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X