OTC tag Colorado Elk Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this has been talked about a ton recently being it’s that time of year, but was wondering what kind of success everybody has had over the years on OTC tag elk hunts in Colorado. What have you killed and where. Where would you recommend going and why. Post up pictures of your kills over the years. I’m hoping to give it a shot myself next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious to see how many people post maps to their secret honey holes...

Comment

My best friends brother in law goes every year and tags out. I went this year for 7 days and never saw an elk.

Comment

We have almost 100% success rate every yr. This yr, me and my father have 4 elk tags, and a mule deer. I fully expect to pack 5 animals out, while he keeps the coffee warm.
        Only been 2 times in almost 25 yrs I haven't filled a tag, and that was due to snow. If you're hunting a specific animal, or looking for trophy class, it might be different, but to just punch a tag, I've never found it difficult at all.

Edit- Forgot the where. The last 10 yrs or so, we have hunted unit 41 & 411 exclusively.
        Last edited by MadHatter; 09-24-2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I am 1/4 with OTC tags (3 rifle attempts & 1 bow) in CO all in the same area near Pagosa Springs and will be going back this year for a rifle 1 - typically hunt 11,000 - 12,000 ft in dark, steep timber, all public land. Hope to improve the odds this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Elk.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	24554696

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
            Curious to see how many people post maps to their secret honey holes...

Yeah that’s probably a great point!

Comment

Last edited by MBV77; 09-24-2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by graesz View Post
                I am 1/4 with OTC tags (3 rifle attempts & 1 bow) in CO all in the same area near Pagosa Springs and will be going back this year for a rifle 1 - typically hunt 11,000 - 12,000 ft in dark, steep timber, all public land. Hope to improve the odds this year.

[ATTACH]925740[/ATTACH]

I’d definitely call that a success. Did you take that on your archery hunt or one of your rifle hunts?

Comment

I'm 1/1 in Colorado otc. archery elk. Maybe beginners luck? I know I can't wait to go back and see if I can do it again, but that will have to wait till next year.

Comment

Our group is about 40% success but that’s from passing young bulls and not shooting cows as well as usually focused on mule deer more so. Unit 27 mostly.

Comment

OTC tags in units in CO with a spike, 3x3 and 6x6. I have beat the odds many times over, but it has been a long time since I have hunted elk in CO.

Comment

i could get near 100% on elk every yr with rifle otc, archery is a different story...its doable but your odds are generally at or near the colorado posted success rate
                        all ours have come from unit 30 and were some nice elk and only public land diy

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                          i could get near 100% on elk every yr with rifle otc, archery is a different story...its doable but your odds are generally at or near the colorado posted success rate
                          all ours have come from unit 30 and were some nice elk and only public land diy

We’ll be archery, so I know that combined with being first timers our odds are very low. Maybe beginners luck can play into it a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            OTC tags in units in CO with a spike, 3x3 and 6x6. I have beat the odds many times over, but it has been a long time since I have hunted elk in CO.

Sounds successful to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              We have almost 100% success rate every yr. This yr, me and my father have 4 elk tags, and a mule deer. I fully expect to pack 5 animals out, while he keeps the coffee warm.
                              Only been 2 times in almost 25 yrs I haven't filled a tag, and that was due to snow. If you're hunting a specific animal, or looking for trophy class, it might be different, but to just punch a tag, I've never found it difficult at all.

Edit- Forgot the where. The last 10 yrs or so, we have hunted unit 41 & 411 exclusively.
                              How are you and your father getting more than 1 Elk tag in CO? I'm fairly certain that's not possible or legal in any one unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X