New arrow - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New arrow - Questions

Went to look at arrows today. Thought I wanted a heavier arrow and to step up the FOC. I researched all about 6 months ago, but can not find my notes.

Guy that helped me was into the 4mm FMJ Injexion. He thought that was best for more penetration/pass thru. Also said that the 4mm could shoot standard broadheads. Not exactly untrue as I've read up on them. I was going to try 6, thought I'd get 12-18 when I went. Seemed I might not have to change my setup that much if at all. They did not have the Injexion with 300 spine, so ended up not getting anything.

Currently shooting SlickTricks and some Rage. Thinking trying Ramcats.

Current rig is 70# Prime Rize, 29" Draw, Easton Hexx 29.5" 386 grain, 11% FOC. Thinking I want to increase broadhead to 125 grain. Use glory nocks. And not opposed to brass inserts.

Question 1: Anyone shooting the 4mm other than deep six? Not really wanting to go deep six.

Question 2: 5mm use standard 8-32 thread? Can probably find this out myself, but as long as I'm asking questions.

Question 3: I like the 0.001" straightness of the Hexx. Others have similar but these Injexions have 0.002". Does it really make a lot of difference?

Question 4: Skipping Hexx and Injexion, knowing I want to increase penetrations, what is arrow recommendation and spine?

Thanks in advance of advise/opinions. I'm sure I'll likely have other questions too.

1. No, but everything I’ve read says ourserts suck
    2. Yes, they use a hidden insert
    3. Most everyone can’t shoot well enough to be able to tell a difference. But you can get The axis in a match grade now that is .01 if you wanna
    4. I like to keep it simple. 300 spine axis with 75 gr brass insert

Comment

Get in touch with Muddyfuzzy and tell him what you are looking at and see what he says. I went with Black Eagle Carnivores cut to 28" with 150 grains of rear insert weight, 125 grain Ramcats and these puppies come in at 595 grains with close to 20% FOC. 70# Obsession Def Con 6 at 29" and 70#'s.

Quiet, accurate, forgiving and hit like a ton of bricks.

Comment

I jumped to the Easton Hexx in a 260 spine, over all weight is around 460 at 29.9 shaft to shaft 50 grain insert 100 grain head thinking about upping to 75 and a 125 head. So far I love them. I was shooting the axis 340 but it didn’t like to much weight upfront on such a long shaft. Also at 9.3 gpi it’s hard to beat for building a high foc build if you wanted

Set up is a Triax 71.5lbs 30 inch draw. Shooting roughly 300fps
        Last edited by D u s t y; 09-07-2018, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I was hoping for a couple more replies... thanks kd350, Mudslinger and Dusty. I was convinced to go with the Hexx with 75 & 125 ramcats. But can't find the Hexx 260 - everyone has them out till November. So looking at similar with the Black Eagle 250. Think I'll work into the 20% FOC gradually. I'm only doing 6 - so can change quicker next time. And I think I'll finally pull the trigger on an arrow saw. I did make myself a nice little spreadsheet to help.

Comment

The heavier the arrow the more difficult to increase foc.

I like mudslinger shoot the black eagles with weighted inserts and a 125 grain ramcat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Gateway archery had a dozen last week or so might see if they still do

Comment

Also might call south shore archery and see if they have any in stock. Lancaster had 10 dozen in stock 2 weeks ago but sold threw them already. It took me a month to get mine I’ll prob pick up another dozen before to long

Comment

Working...
                X