Question for Disking in Wheat & Oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Disking in Wheat & Oats

We will be disking our fields next week. After we get them disked we will broadcast the fertilizer and the seed (wheat and oats) and then lightly disk the fertilizer and seed into the soil. How deep should we set the disks when disking in wheat and oats? I know we want to try to put the seed around 1-in deep but I wasn't sure how deep we should set our disks. I appreciate the help.

Just barely go over the top. That should be about 1".

Comment

We did the same once and dragged a length of chain link fence behind a piece of pipe. Got a real good stand.

Comment

As said barely go over the top. We purchased a cultipacker and it has made a huge difference.

Comment

I believe 1”-2” is what’s recommended

Comment

We have a 6ft UTV cultipacker that we will be using after we disk in the seed. We have found that if we can get the seed a little deeper it has a better chance surviving heat and lack of moisture. You think we put the disk 2-inches into the soil? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
              We have a 6ft UTV cultipacker that we will be using after we disk in the seed. We have found that if we can get the seed a little deeper it has a better chance surviving heat and lack of moisture. You think we put the disk 2-inches into the soil? Thanks!
              That ought to work

Comment

Yes, a little deeper will help with the roots. But just scratch the surface is fine to make soil contact and cover a little. You don't have to get fancy, you can eyeball it. If some are a little deeper, it will just a take a little longer to break through. Rain and you're a farmer.

Comment

I would just drag something over it lightly, you can get the seed too deep, you can broadcast it without doing anything and it will grow, ( if the dove and turkey don't get it before it sprouts.

Comment

I always disced until I have a well prepared seed bed. Broadcast, then run a drag over it. My drag is pretty heavy, I made it from an old hay rake frame and added some weight. It helps bust the clods further and levels too. Always had excellent results. Southeast texas black clay type soil.

Comment

I have a drag behind my disk and after I broadcast I run back over it with the disk turning over only 2-3 inches and the drag smoothing and covering everything. Has worked really good for me.

Comment

Last year I just lightly 1-2 inches drug the disk through with a 14 ft gate behind the disk with a cattle panel under it to smooth it out. Worked pretty well.

Comment

3 inches deep is good for wheat, if soil is properly prepared.

Comment

I used to disc, broadcast, and drag with a homemade drag. We get Plenty of precip here on the coast. I've also had a lot of success without any soil prep. Spray and when it's dead, broadcoast and shred. That's my preferred method now.

Comment

H e l l they will come up on concrete

Comment

Working...
                              X