No announcement yet.

How not to dispose your dead horse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put a trail camera out and get a census of the predator population.

Comment

That's terrible..I had to dig a hole for a friend of mine's horse in 2011..She'd been dead for 4 days.It was July..It wasn't easy,but we got it done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

A few months ago, I started noticing a bunch of buzzards gathering about a half mile to the north of my house. I didn’t think much about it at first, but after a couple of days, there were well over 100 buzzards circling the area and you could definitely smell something dead. I know the landowner, so I decided to walk over and investigate. I ended up finding a dead horse that was pretty well picked over by the buzzards. This alone was bad enough, but on my way back out, I took a little different path, and about 30 yards away there were two more dead horses. I looked the horses over briefly (The smell was horrible) and couldn’t find any gunshot wounds around the head. The whole situation really creeped me out and the Landowner and I still have no clue what the full story is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As kid I made a lot of money hauling dead horses to the dump. At that time the dump charged us $15 per horse. I charged $75. Not bad money for a teenager back in the 80's.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
            As kid I made a lot of money hauling dead horses to the dump. At that time the dump charged us $15 per horse. I charged $75. Not bad money for a teenager back in the 80's.

-john
            Didn't they ban the meat wagon guy that picked em all up to sell for dog food or whatever? Used to see the meat wagon all the time in the panhandle goose hunting. Now you have people dumping dead animals all over because they can't sell them? It looked like a brush truck that picks up debris after a hurricane with the crane behind the cab. It was an odd sight seeing that thing roll down the highway with 20 sets of legs sticking out everywhere.

Comment

Some sorry people in this world. We had one hit by lightning when i was a kid. We had to dig the hole with a shovel. That was a BIG HOLE. Sucked, but you do what you gotta do.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                That's terrible..I had to dig a hole for a friend of mine's horse in 2011..She'd been dead for 4 days.It was July..It wasn't easy,but we got it done.

All my life I have been searching for the perfect definition of a “true friend”. This might qualify! But first can we get the details as to why your friend waited four days to call you?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                  All my life I have been searching for the perfect definition of a “true friend”. This might qualify! But first can we get the details as to why your friend waited four days to call you?
                  He lived in town(Waxahachie) His mom passed away on their family farm.She was in her 70's.Blue was David's horse,from when he was a kid.David sold the farm to a local farmer while his mom was still alive.He took care of the yard.Baled hay,grew maize,and wheat..His momma still lived there til she passed.That was the deal..Blue was also allowed to live there til she passed...The farmer was in Wyoming for a week that Summer.Blue had plenty of hay,and water when he left.A gravity feeder(think bucket with a handle you rattle for grain to fall out) Just enough til he got back.Blue was 27yrs old.
                  When the farmer got home.The cows were standing in the sun(huge barn,shed's,and shade near the feed pen) Blue died in the middle of it.Maybe more than 4/5 days..He called David.David called me..He was crazy upset..One,he hadn't gone out there in weeks.She was always in good hands.Didn't feel like he had to..Just wanted her fed,and watered..Shaded in her last days..The farmer had an old smooth bucketed John Deere..Wasn't gonna work for diggin in the ground around here..The cows looked poor.They hadn't been in the feed lot since she died..We had to get her outta there asap.(water trough is in there too)
                  When I tell you it was gross and stunk.That's an understatement.I had a 20' chain.6'-8' gotta wrap around Blue.4'-6' gotta go under the bucket,and attach..You get the idea..Blue's close to the cab..Caterpillar 238 with a tooth bucket..Pick up the *** end,and huge green flies by the thousands swarmed me..Long story longer..I drug her slowly 600 yds or more to dig a hole,and put her in it.Drug the 20 foot chain 30 miles down the highway to clean it off,a d get rid of the smell...He'd do anything in the world for me to this day.

Comment

We grew up very poor and didn't have a tractor on our little place in the country. We had a very old horse that passed away. My brother and I dug a hole BY HAND for that old horse that was over 18 hands tall.

That was some dang work but we weren't going to let him go to the yotes.

That is messed up to do that to a pet.

Comment

People are so lazy these days. At absolute minimum they should do what the good people of Oregon did...

https://youtu.be/uD5sPgV61bw

Comment

Beggars Banquet for the wildlife. Some humans aren't human.

Comment

that is despicable... when my families horses have passed we have always dug graves and one even has a headstone

Comment

The only horse I ever had to take care of was a big Draft Gelding before I sold my property. Trojan was old and had laid down in a dry stock tank and one of my son's and I did our best to get him up but no luck. He soon passed and I did what I could to honor and bury him. Spent HOURS with my "too small" tractor trying to bury him and do the right thing. I even called several "Big Cat" rescue centers within a reasonable distance from the ranch in hopes they could use him to feed but no luck as well.

I "thought" I had perhaps put enough rock and dirt for a makeshift grave, but within 2 nights the yotes had taken over. Sent a few of them to "yote heaven," but guess we all have to eat as well?

I was not as attached to Trojan as the others horses, but still feel guilty I was not able to do a better job. Love Horses and this OP really PO'D me with the total DISREPECT so many have for ANY living/dead creature! But, I still say a little prayer of thanks when I harvest a Deer or any game animal....just the way I was raised....

Comment

I know a guy that went on a trail ride years ago and came back to his trailer loaded with somebody else's horses! Think it was back in the drought of 2011! He laughed it off and said people don't truly understand what eat like a horse means till they have horses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What a shame. There’s a animal cemetery up in Bowie that’ll come pick them up.

Comment

Working...
                                X