Pulling 5th wheel camper w short bed truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do it all the time....

I bought the slider hitch, but I have never had to use it. Most kingpins are now built out in front of the 5th wheel so it doesn't hit. And I have had that camper at a 90 deg angle

Comment

thanks for the info everyone, very helpful

Comment

Besides the kingpins, the newer 5th wheels trailers are built with a rounded nose to lessen difficulty and interference with short bed trucks

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
          Thanks for the input. If I go 5th wheel, I will get gooseneck adapter so I don't have the 5th wheel hitch taking up the bed.

When backing, do you have about the same turning radius as you would with a bumper pull? or less?

Don’t do that. Those adapters induce tons of stress on the trailer frame and every frame company will instantly void your warranty if you do.

I would look into the Andersen ultimate hitch instead of you want an easily removable solution or change your pin box out to a Reese Goosebox. The Goodebox is acceptable as far as warranty is concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
            Thanks for the input. If I go 5th wheel, I will get gooseneck adapter so I don't have the 5th wheel hitch taking up the bed.

When backing, do you have about the same turning radius as you would with a bumper pull? or less?
            You still have more. I pull one alot with a short bed 250. The only thing you can't do is jackknife it like a 18 wheeler. But I think they pull better then most bumper pulls also.

Comment

You shouldn’t have any problems, just make sure you pay attention when turning and backing in because you will take out your back glass.

I’d be careful with the gooseneck adapter, some manufacturers will void your warranty if they know that’s how you’re hauling it. They said it puts stress on the frame since it was not designed to be pulled that way. If you’re worried about bed space, get a B&W gooseneck hitch installed and use a companion fifth wheel hitch.

Comment

I might have to disagree with some of y’all. I had a 2004 short bed dodge 2500 and bought a 5th wheel. It had the 6’-5” bed and yes it was very doable and I did get close to the cab a few times backing into my driveway. Now you are talkin about a 5’-5” bed and with that the distance between the rear wheels/axel is closer to the tailgate than a 6-5” bed. I had my hitch centered over the axel and was close to the tailgate. I think you would have a problem with the hitch hitting your tailgate and it being a 1/2ton I’d keep it as close over the axel as possible. It might be done but it will be close.

Comment

You may be able to get by with the short bed, but I personally wouldn't chance it. I believe that you will constantly be worried about it. I know I would. I have a 6.5 foot bed and that's close enough.

Having said that, I have done extensive research lately on fifth wheel to goose neck adapters, and the only one that I would recommend is the Reese Goose Box. Yes, there are plenty of guys out there running other gooseneck adapters and doing ok with it, but there is definitely the possibility of putting too much stress on the RV. The Goose Box deals with this quite well I believe. However, there are only 2 or 3 pinbox models that the Goose Box will work with... Lippert is the manufacturer of the pinboxes found on most RV's and although Reese makes 3 different models of the Goose Box to adapt to these, your particular RV's pinbox bracket may not allow the fitment of the Goose Box. I was sold on going with the Goose Box, but after looking into it I discovered that it won't adapt to my toyhauler's base.

I went with the B&W Companion. It fits right into my B&W Turnover ball hitch and is the quickest and easiest that I found to remove from the bed of the truck.

Comment

If you had a tundra no problem anything else no.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpg View Post
                      You may be able to get by with the short bed, but I personally wouldn't chance it. I believe that you will constantly be worried about it. I know I would. I have a 6.5 foot bed and that's close enough.

Having said that, I have done extensive research lately on fifth wheel to goose neck adapters, and the only one that I would recommend is the Reese Goose Box. Yes, there are plenty of guys out there running other gooseneck adapters and doing ok with it, but there is definitely the possibility of putting too much stress on the RV. The Goose Box deals with this quite well I believe. However, there are only 2 or 3 pinbox models that the Goose Box will work with... Lippert is the manufacturer of the pinboxes found on most RV's and although Reese makes 3 different models of the Goose Box to adapt to these, your particular RV's pinbox bracket may not allow the fitment of the Goose Box. I was sold on going with the Goose Box, but after looking into it I discovered that it won't adapt to my toyhauler's base.

I went with the B&W Companion. It fits right into my B&W Turnover ball hitch and is the quickest and easiest that I found to remove from the bed of the truck.
                      I just did the same and ended up with the B&W. We bought a new Columbus in July, dealer said that the only gooseneck adapter they would warranty was the Reese. Very pleased with the B&W.

Comment

I pull one a lot with a short bed F-250. I have a Reese Slider Hitch, but I have never had to slide it. Most newer trailers are designed with an indention on both sides of the nose to keep you from getting the trailer into your cab.

Comment

You can get a sliding 5th wheel hitch or an offset gooseneck hitch for that reason. I use a king bed but I have a dog box in the bed of my truck also so it pretty much makes it a short bed

Comment

Yes it can be done, but I have ridden in the backseat of an FFA truck with no back glass from San Antonio to Houston before because someone wasn't paying attention when backing up!

Comment

thanks for all the info. I found a good deal on a bumper pull today and pulled the trigger on it

Comment

Working...
                              X