No announcement yet.

Is he 13"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=oktx;13647496]Has anyone actually had a GW give them permission to kill a less than 13 inch deer?[/QUOTE

I highly doubt it. Good luck trying to get ahold of them. The last few times I haven't even gotten a call back. It's kind of disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
      pretty easy to reach your GW - I'd shoot him a pic and ask - (I would never plan for "grace" given by the GW cuz the downside isn't worth it when it's easy enough to just reach out with pics in hand ahead of time. imo) that'll give you peace of mind and you can hunt him with a clear conscience instead of wondering. He's a cool looking deer - best of luck
      I agree, I wouldn't count on "Grace", hence the SSS comment (which I would obviously leave the shovel part out and eat the deer). For the record, when I said "grace" the correct word should have been "cushion". We did kill one deer one year that ran onto a neighbors property that had a spike on one side and normal rack on the other. We called the GW because of the neighbor issue. Turns out the buck had a tine that went along it's neck and wasn't visible on the "Spike Side". The gave us a warning for that, but it was mature deer which I"m sure factored in.

Comment

I'm going to say he makes 13", especially going off the second mainbeam. Looks like he's got age on his side, so comparing horns to ears width, I'd bet with comfort on him making it.

For a comparison, I shot this buck last year on Christmas. Late season he was run down, but still had a big framed body (6.5yo plus by tooth wear) and was a whopping 12 3/4" wide stretching the tape for all it had.
        Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1645.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	24554728

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	24554729

Name:	IMG_1647.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	24554730

Only trail cam pics I have on my phone. Not the best quality, but gives ya an idea what he was like on the hoof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Legal Deer
            KILL

Comment

That buck is a hoss I would not hesitate to shoot him! As mature and big bodied as he is, he's wider than you think. I'd say hes 15 or so.

Comment

kill him, hes legal!!!!!

Comment

Eye to eye

Definitely a mature deer. Centerline eye to eye on a typical whitetail is right at 6". Using that as a guide and scaling it out on the pic, I think he is right there at 13". **** sure a close one to call.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                    Has anyone actually had a GW give them permission to kill a less than 13 inch deer?
                    That's like asking a highway patrol to give you permission to go above the posted speed limit because you're an excellent driver. The law is the law. They will not give you permission to break it. Now they may give a warning after the law is broken but I wouldn't bank on that.

OP, that buck is 13". Good luck getting him!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                      That's like asking a highway patrol to give you permission to go above the posted speed limit because you're an excellent driver. The law is the law. They will not give you permission to break it. Now they may give a warning after the law is broken but I wouldn't bank on that.

OP, that buck is 13". Good luck getting him!
                      That’s what I was thinking.

Comment

Not legal. His ears are back in those pics and not out....
                        just my opinion.

Comment

legal

Comment

Looks like 12 7/8" to me. Need to get in the MLDP then it won't mater.

Comment

The gw will always lean on the side of caution when questioned, we won’t. Shoot that son of a gun!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                                With that second beam I agree with the antlerlamps guy

Completely disagree. The only place Ive ever really deer hunted in Texas has been in my family since 1970. Growing up a 10" 8 point was a sure enough booner. We're at the point now where 120-130" 8s are a dime a dozen and we consistently see deer to near 150". As a kid you did well to see a single buck in a weekend. At the right time I can pass 6 and 7 legal bucks in one sitting now. 90% of the land around us hasnt changed hands in that time so its not the hunters being more ethical

AR works
                                This ^^^^^

Oh, and OP, I think your deer is legal. Good Luck this year!
                                Last edited by Hunter Todd; 09-25-2018, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X