No announcement yet.

Who do you hunt with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have hunted with my BIL a lot over the last 30 years. He and I put in for draw hunts together and got pulled for three this year. Last year we didn't have leases and didn't get drawn and I hunted on his family land with him. I normally don't hunt with non-family.

I have introduced my daughter's boyfriend to hunting and hopefully next year we will have a chance to do the H Hog hunt again.

Comment

I hunt with my Dad & kids mainly. My oldest son is 12 and hunts with me more than anyone we have a great time. He & I are headed to Kansas this weekend to hunt doves.

Comment

Sounds like the moral of the thread is...dude's are d@#$s when it comes to deer. There is no code anymore and that's unfortunate.
        I like the work. That's the therapy for me and why I started this Public land hunting in the worst state for it. When I come up on a harvest, I'll know I earned it. And if you help me in some small way, know it's equity you can cash in, on call. Just words on a page, I know. But if we cross paths, you'll see.
        Thank you all for the willingness to post openly about any and everything on TBH. I've learned tons just reading. I already owe ya'll.

Comment

Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
          Sounds like the moral of the thread is...dude's are d@#$s when it comes to deer. There is no code anymore and that's unfortunate.
          I like the work. That's the therapy for me and why I started this Public land hunting in the worst state for it. When I come up on a harvest, I'll know I earned it. And if you help me in some small way, know it's equity you can cash in, on call. Just words on a page, I know. But if we cross paths, you'll see.
          Thank you all for the willingness to post openly about any and everything on TBH. I've learned tons just reading. I already owe ya'll.
          Ya. You think you are helping someone then they screw you over and it's a waste of time. I'm just gonna let all the wannabees figure it out on their own after I help my boy the Doeminator score his first set of horns with his bow this season. I'll be hunting for me and my Daughter basically from now on. And I'm gonna kick the sh** out of some mother ******* if I catch them in my stand again.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
            Over the years I’ve become picky about who I’ll share specific information with, and even pickier about the specific spots I hunt. I was lucky enough to have people invest in me and share with me a lot of their information so I try to pay that back as much as I can, when I can, because there are very few people willing to do the work. For me it’s a 24/7 365 deal. Sometimes it’s borderlines on an unhealthy obsession. But it only got that way because other people helped me and I’ve had a chip on my shoulder to prove that it wasn’t just chance on my first buck.

I think we all go through hunting phases where we have something to prove. But like you and I have talked about before, the only person who cares what you kill is the person in the mirror. I’ve mitigated some of these issues by going to a hang and hunt strategy for about 95% of my hunting by using an XoP Vanish XT and a set of hawk helium sticks. People can hunt my spot if they want, but they had better be willing to work for it. But I digress.

If people hadn’t poured into me, it would’ve taken me much longer to learn what I have. And it winds up being the case that some of the deer I’ve taken may well be deer that my buddy’s would have had a chance at but I’ll never really know. That’s the chance you take.

Much like raising kids, there’s no guarantee that they turn out okay. People are going to make their own choices. Some people are going to take advantage of you, betray you or do even worse, and unfortunately people will do absolutely shocking stuff if they think it gives them a shot at a deer. There’s really only two things you can do in that situation, and it’s forgive them or be bitter about it. Forgiveness isn’t reconciliation. And it doesn’t mean I have to reconcile and let them back into my life. And I can totally understand not wanting to forgive someone over this because they are taking advantage of your TIME. You can make more money but you CANNOT make more time! But for me, God’s word tells me I have to forgive people because I know just how great a sinner I am in my own heart, regardless of how good other people may think I am.

I’ve invested in a lot of guys. Hung stands for them, poured out corn, gave information and all sorts of stuff only to be let down because guys just didn’t wanna do it. That’s fine. They found out it’s not for them. But if I had a Booner on camera in that area I sure bet they would go in there and hunt. And I can even admit that when I and a buddy are hunting the same area that there is this small voice in my own heart that secretly hopes I’m successful and he isn’t. But I know that isn’t right. I know it’s my flesh and the enemy of my own soul speaking in that moment and the reality is this... it’s just a deer.

A hundred years from now I’m gonna be dead. So is my buddy. And no one is going to give a hill of beans about the bucks I had on the Wall once I’m buried in the dirt. C.S. Lewis once said “There are only two things in life that you can invest in eternally and those are God and people”. I’m not always good about investing in people over deer in some cases unfortunately, but with God’s help I’m sure trying to. But I hope you never lose a friendship over a deer. I get it, I know the money and time investment and the blood, sweat and tears that go into it for some people, especially you. But keep investing in people. Because once you’re gone that information dies with you. I wish I knew even half of what my grandpa knew before he died. There are still hunters out there willing to work, to share the info and invest in the effort. And it helps the sport ultimately if all of us decide to help in some way. I’m not saying give away spots and hand folks a deer. But early on we all need a little encouragement, especially hunting public. You’ve helped a lotta hunters over the years I know for a fact.

I know because I’m one of em Todd!

Just be wise in who you decide to actually spare specifics with!
            There is a lot of good info in the paragraphs above!!

I have learned over the years it is just as important to me who I go hunting with as it is where and how successful. You can help people, but until you know them as friends or hunting buddies I am only going to give them basic advise. Then if they show me they deserve more from their input, help and desire I bring them into my inter circle of the Focker's!

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
              There is a lot of good info in the paragraphs above!!

I have learned over the years it is just as important to me who I go hunting with as it is where and how successful. You can help people, but until you know them as friends or hunting buddies I am only going to give them basic advise. Then if they show me they deserve more from their input, help and desire I bring them into my inter circle of the Focker's!
              Definitely good advice

Comment

There was a time when I was looked down on because I wouldn't share info on public lands...

And now I'm reading a thread about not sharing info.

Congrats to all who figured it out.

Comment

My wife and kids. If other people hunt in the area I will maybe say if I have seen any deer but I will not give the specifics of what I saw or where I am hunting from.

Comment

No deer in East Texas!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                      No deer in East Texas!!!!!!!
                      [emoji23] there are no deer in Texas. You should all go hunt somewhere else.

Comment

That guy is a sorry excuse for a man and a shame hes on TBH.

That being said, you know my handful of guys I hunt with. I'm confident enough in them to not share our spots with others and it's a good group of guys. That being said, I just dont find much joy in hunting public by myself. If I want the solidarity, I'll go hunt at my lease.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                          That guy is a sorry excuse for a man and a shame hes on TBH.

That being said, you know my handful of guys I hunt with. I'm confident enough in them to not share our spots with others and it's a good group of guys. That being said, I just dont find much joy in hunting public by myself. If I want the solidarity, I'll go hunt at my lease.
                          Beware of Dappers is the warning. Man I've helped everyone I've ever met in regards to hunting. I think this season im limiting that to one more charity case and his first bow buck, this year I'm hunting for myself and my daughter basically.

Comment

Dang, I screwed up big. I drew out an entire map, had a 25 min conversation with him, never met him other than his one post on here, and told him if he scored, I would find a guy and horse for him .
                            I hunt alone, or with my Dad.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              Dang, I screwed up big. I drew out an entire map, had a 25 min conversation with him, never met him other than his one post on here, and told him if he scored, I would find a guy and horse for him .
                              I hunt alone, or with my Dad.
                              For real ? Lol. I've been inboxed by 3 different guys on tbh. Sounds like he gets around. All have been messaged by him. Unbelievable almost. Shoot , I even put him to work because he wasn't employed at the time.

Comment

A lot of this is why the shnf thread has become less and less hunting related, but more a spot for those of us who have become good friends over the years. Everyone has been burned some way or another, and even though we're pretty close, we don't even tell of our spots to each other. When i first started there, a guy offered to help my scout my areas, but wasn't going to take me to any honey holes. I agree with that method. Go to new areas and show people the ropes. Get to know them and gain respect as it comes, or sometimes not.

I will say it's nice to have 1 or 2 trustworthy guys to share areas with. I have 1 that i trust with my life, and we'll scout areas with each other. If he takes me to an area he wants to see, i may mark a tree i like with his permission but not likely that I'll hunt it. But henhas also put in trees when i wasn't seeing deer and resulted in kills for me, and I've gone back to it. What's nice is I'll let him know where i am, and vise versa for safety reasons.

Moral of the story, we don't trust people anymore until they've proved they're worthy of it. I don't even like cars seeing me when walking out of the woods where they might see the direction i came from. Take people to new areas only and teach them, never hand out freebies. We work way too dang hard to lose out great areas and deer to people who don't work for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X