Question for electricians or HVAC guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for electricians or HVAC guy

Got dinged on inspector report that the house ac disconnect is in wrong spot
    This was like this since house was built in 2002 in Brazoria county.

Is there a code that can tell me what is wrong.. should it be to the side? Seems like a pain to move as it penetrates the brick to the panel
    Attached Files

I’ve never seen a code that says behind the condenser is not allowed. Code in Lubbock county says it must be in sight. Old code was that it had to be in arms reach of condenser. Yours looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

And its current placement will not affect the value of the house.

Comment

NEC 110.26

If the disconnect is within 3' of the compressor you would be in violation.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
          NEC 110.26

If the disconnect is within 3' of the compressor you would be in violation.
          This is what I have always been told as well.

Comment

Also this
            Am I supposed to run a new wire to outside outlets now?
            This seems ridiculous as I can see a never ending list as time goes on to constantly be to code. It was obviously fine to have the lines together in 2002.
            Attached Files

Comment

How can I fix this?
              What if I just put a Jbox in the spot that is the disconnect and move the disconnect over 3 ft like this?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                Also this
                Am I supposed to run a new wire to outside outlets now?
                This seems ridiculous as I can see a never ending list as time goes on to constantly be to code. It was obviously fine to have the lines together in 2002.
                I would ask an electrician. I bet it's fine and the inspector is looking at the more recent code in black and white, and not taking into account when you house was built.

Comment

The disconnect is a tricky one. Is it readily accessible or just accessible. I think that’s the code he may be pointing out. It would not be a concern if I was buying a house

Comment

Might just give the buyer a couple hundred dollar allowance and if they want it moved let them have it done.

Comment

Inspectors don't inspect code infractions. I don't think they CAN under their licensing actually. Most don't know National Codes (NEC, NFPA, UPC, etc) as it isn't even part of the licensing.

They have an SOP (Standards of Practice)from TREC and only report: https://www.trec.texas.gov/sites/def...ub%20(002).pdf

Ask the inspector to cite the requirements.

FYI, It is only required to be within sight and readily accessible":

"According to the National Electrical Code (NEC) 240.24 (A), location in or on premises require that overcurrent devices be “readily accessible” and shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the disconnecting switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 feet 7 inches) above the floor"

Inspectors IMO just try to justify putting something on the check-box for particular line item on the SOP. Don't let 'em kill a deal for frivolous stuff.
                      Call 'em out, don't give 'em too much credit. Most of it is common sense.

If it is installed correctly (wiring has grommets into/out of box etc.) , and in good condition.
                      Tell him to pound sand. ...….IMO

Signed,
                      Former TREC Inspector

EDIT: Not to Buyer
                      GO to Home Depot and buy a 4-prog plug for you dryer.

(See how he put something in the space of the form>)
                      Last edited by Philip-TX; 01-17-2020, 09:19 AM.

Comment

As a seller, I ain't doing nothing. As a buyer, I ain't wanting anything done. Those are stupid acknowledgements by the inspector.

When our house was inspected he noted holes in the screens....heck, everyone could see there were holes in the screens. The windows needed to be replaced anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                          As a seller, I ain't doing nothing. As a buyer, I ain't wanting anything done. Those are stupid acknowledgements by the inspector.

When our house was inspected he noted holes in the screens....heck, everyone could see there were holes in the screens. The windows needed to be replaced anyway.
                          He is required by the state to list deficiencies in or the absence of the window screens

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                            How can I fix this?
                            What if I just put a Jbox in the spot that is the disconnect and move the disconnect over 3 ft like this?
                            This is the best solution. I’ve been in the business 20+ years and yes it is a legitimate code violation. IMO it is a BS call because you only need access to it to shut power off to the unit. But the code says you must have a 30’’x 30’’ workspace in front of that.

Comment

Technically, it isn’t supposed to be directly behind the unit. I know city inspectors in San Antonio will fail us for it.

As for a home inspection, I would decline to fix it unless it’s absolutely going to kill the sale. It in no way affects the performance or safety of the machine. It’s just a stupid rule and home inspectors will note anything and everything so their client thinks they accomplished something.

If you must fix it, your j-box idea will work just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X