Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are Your expectations from the armed citizen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I brought this question up in the White settlement church thread but since it was toward the end i thought it might get a little more discussion if it were it's own thread. I'm just generally curious what YOU would do in an active shooter situation ( as an armed citizen ) and or what your expectation of other armed citizens should do. Mine is this:
    What is the expectation of the armed citizen? Is it that they will confront a shooter or is it that you use it only if confronted by the shooter?
    Example: Your in a walmart and hear shots. Do you move toward the shots or do you look for an escape route?
    If i am carrying i am moving toward an escape route and will only pull my weapon out when i actually see the shooter and he is in proximity to me. I have never had the expectation that CHL holders are to move toward the offender. I think training to intentionally engage a shooter ( move toward the shooter like a police officer would) is much different than training or practice for self defense. Someone who just wants a fighting chance at survival just needs to know how to operate the weapon fairly efficiently because the target is going to be pretty close. My wife for example. I get her out to shoot from time to time. She does know how to operate he gun but she is not interested in it enough to shoot 500 rounds a year. So i just want her to be able to hit a target at close range in the house. She will never carry outside our house ( unfortunatly). When i think of armed teachers i dont see 10 teachers running down the halls looking to confront the shooter. I see 1-2 doing that possibly and those that want to take on that responsibility will be willing to also take on the training needed to do it safely, the rest will sheltered in their rooms with the kids and only use the gun if the shooter enters that room. There is no danger to the kids if that teacher has minimal training or just practice at home. They will all be dead regardless if the shooter enters that room. So if you want to move toward and engage shooters.....get a lot of training and some really good insurance. For the rest of the people who i think just want it handy for self preservation....give us Constitutional carry

At church when serving as a voluntary member of the "safety team"- move towards the issue.
    On the street on my time, different answer situation pending.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
      At church when serving as a voluntary member of the "safety team"- move towards the issue.
      x2

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        I brought this question up in the White settlement church thread but since it was toward the end i thought it might get a little more discussion if it were it's own thread. I'm just generally curious what YOU would do in an active shooter situation ( as an armed citizen ) and or what your expectation of other armed citizens should do. Mine is this:
        What is the expectation of the armed citizen? Is it that they will confront a shooter or is it that you use it only if confronted by the shooter?
        Example: Your in a walmart and hear shots. Do you move toward the shots or do you look for an escape route?
        If i am carrying i am moving toward an escape route and will only pull my weapon out when i actually see the shooter and he is in proximity to me. I have never had the expectation that CHL holders are to move toward the offender. I think training to intentionally engage a shooter ( move toward the shooter like a police officer would) is much different than training or practice for self defense. Someone who just wants a fighting chance at survival just needs to know how to operate the weapon fairly efficiently because the target is going to be pretty close. My wife for example. I get her out to shoot from time to time. She does know how to operate he gun but she is not interested in it enough to shoot 500 rounds a year. So i just want her to be able to hit a target at close range in the house. She will never carry outside our house ( unfortunatly). When i think of armed teachers i dont see 10 teachers running down the halls looking to confront the shooter. I see 1-2 doing that possibly and those that want to take on that responsibility will be willing to also take on the training needed to do it safely, the rest will sheltered in their rooms with the kids and only use the gun if the shooter enters that room. There is no danger to the kids if that teacher has minimal training or just practice at home. They will all be dead regardless if the shooter enters that room. So if you want to move toward and engage shooters.....get a lot of training and some really good insurance. For the rest of the people who i think just want it handy for self preservation....give us Constitutional carry
        Shoot the bad guy if given the opportunity. Just go get your ltc and quit whining about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
          Absolutely

Comment

I don't expect anything from a civilian with LTC.

As you stated they do not have the training to engage a shooter

On the other side, I would not convict anyone who did so as a "good Samaritan"

Personally for me it would depend on the situation whether I would move toward the threat. I have no training to do so.

In the church situation, I am shooting if given a shot. All happening in the same room, not half a store over

Comment

Everyone’s different. For me, I ensure my wife is safe then close with and destroy the enemy.

Certainly don’t expect everyone to do so though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m not sure. I’d like to say try to make the fastest exit possible and avoid any contact. But I’ve also had a lot of training and real world experience of running towards gunfire and bringing the fight to the enemy. Hope I never have to find out

Comment

I don't expect anything. You don't really know what a person going to do when the shi$$ hits the fan. What is going to kick in fight or flight?

Comment

My handgun has only two jobs. Save my life from an immediate threat and get me to a long gun in the event of a prolonged threat.

If I was unarmed in a Walmart and saw a man beating a woman, I would intervene. If I was armed and saw a man killing people, I hope I’d be brave enough to do the same. I have no expectations of others, but I’d expect myself to stand up for my fellow man. All of this after making sure that my wife and kids were safe.

Comment

None

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

None

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          My handgun has only two jobs. Save my life from an immediate threat and get me to a long gun in the event of a prolonged threat.

If I was unarmed in a Walmart and saw a man beating a woman, I would intervene. If I was armed and saw a man killing people, I hope I’d be brave enough to do the same. I have no expectations of others, but I’d expect myself to stand up for my fellow man. All of this after making sure that my wife and kids were safe.

This
                          And on the constitutional carry front - ABSOLUTELY. Gun laws are unconstitutional. There, I said it! Lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

None

^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

by the mention of the question.....there is a hint that one expects a some sort of return favor from another.......many times it has its root in the thought; hey, I did something for you so now you owe me in return attitude.

so to all who reply that Nothing is an acceptable answer - thank you. Your heart and mind are in the right place.

Comment

Working...
                              X