Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
topduarte
Pope & Young

Default Going back on thread are kids soft

A thread about a week ago from "Worksalot", I saw today at about 330 pm on sb 35 betweem San Marcos and New Braunfels a dad fixing a flat while 2 kids about 10-13 years old sitting on grass median between main lanes and frontage on their cell phones.

***???

At least I give the dad giving credit gor changing his own tire and safety for his kids, but come on.

Maybe I saw it wrong but as kids, my brothers and I always worked on my dads GTO.
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Hooverfb
Ten Point

In that situation I'd probably make the kids stay in the car or such, dont think I really want them out near the road helping with that. At home in the garage, sure, but not in a less than ideal situation.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
super_dave
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW Smith County

I will teach my kids how to take care of themselves but changing a tire on the side of 35 and involving kids is a HECK NO!

I have no issues with the dad making them sit to the side. I can teach them in the driveway when we put the new tire on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
super_dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #4
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford, Kansas, MS

I certainly wouldn’t expect my kids to fix it by themselves if they didn’t know how and in those circumstances, but they’d be down there beside me learning how if it weren’t on a busy road. They wouldn’t be on cell phones not engaged in what I was doing and making sure they could change their own when the time comes.
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I have no issue at all with what you saw. My kids safety take priority in that situation. I probably would have done the same thing. That doesn't mean those kids are soft.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #6
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

On the side of I35? Heck no. Would not be the place for a teaching moment.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 09:42 PM   #7
ByronB
Ten Point

I am sure my son would have “wanted” to assist at that age but considering it was on a busy highway, any highway......no thanks. My kids safety at that age would have been my priority. Had a Family member killed changing a tire on the side of a freeway. Unfortunate. I could only imagine if one of my cousins had been next to him changing the tire as well. I am all for young kids helping out but not in this particular situation. My kids are not soft so I really have no worries.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 09:47 PM   #8
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

When I was that age in the late 80's and early 90's, my dad would not let my sister and/or me near the car when it was jacked up changing a tire. We sat in the ditch on the side of several back roads with no traffic at all while he changed the tire. He said he was always afraid the car might fall off the jack. Thanks for making me soft dad! Lol. Sorry OP, I don't think that situation makes them soft, but I did notice today that there were very few kids outside playing with their Christmas gifts like everyone did when I was a kid. Times change and so do people. FYI, I did eventually learn how to change a tire before I started driving though.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #9
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I have no issue at all with what you saw. My kids safety take priority in that situation. I probably would have done the same thing. That doesn't mean those kids are soft.
Agreed

Probably safest place for them is out of the car. Hear about people zoning in on cars on the shoulder and hitting them at highway speed and usually killing or seriously injuring anyone in or near them.

I would try to get off the highway to change a flat if possible
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 10:16 PM   #10
TxAg
Pope & Young

Haha is this real post?
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #11
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by topduarte View Post
A thread about a week ago from "Worksalot", I saw today at about 330 pm on sb 35 betweem San Marcos and New Braunfels a dad fixing a flat while 2 kids about 10-13 years old sitting on grass median between main lanes and frontage on their cell phones.

***???

At least I give the dad giving credit gor changing his own tire and safety for his kids, but come on.

Maybe I saw it wrong but as kids, my brothers and I always worked on my dads GTO.

Having been a Volunteer Firefighter for 18 years, and having I-35 running thru my district, I have worked many scenes, where distracted drivers have rear ended disabled cars...

I appreciate the father getting his kids out of harms way...

I wonder,, if you were so concerned to start a thread,, why didn’t you get behind the disabled vehicle and block traffic for him??????? Or possibly assist him changing tire to limit time on the side of hi way??
Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 10:42 PM   #12
RJH1
Ten Point

He should have had them playing some street football. If you can doge a Porsche, you can dodge a linebacker
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 11:00 PM   #13
jdavidson
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb Co
Default Hijack

This is probably way off topic...but I helped get a 15yr old boy on a good mng buck this afternoon. Now mind you his daddy is a experienced hunter.

Boy shoots deer...the boy’s dad immediately texts my son on group text asking if my son would clean the deer for them. Son says sure...you bought the beer earlier !

All good so far,right ? Well what bothers me is the fact that the boy stayed on his phone the entire time my son cleaned the deer...giggling like a girl. I was pretty sure he wasn’t googling “how to skin a deer videos “ ! Never offered to help...was “grossed out” by the ticks on the deer...and was just generally unconcerned.

Kids these days are treated differently than us old farts. Don’t blame them...it’s us

Last edited by jdavidson; 12-25-2019 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Stupid
jdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 11:02 PM   #14
jdavidson
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb Co

My apologies...completely off topic !
jdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 11:19 PM   #15
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

Are kids getting soft? The answer is yes most are, I had my son tell me “why do you want me to live a hard life like you did?” After I gave him a few examples of how my dad was with us. To tell you the truth I didn’t have it that bad... Video games are getting kids soft, cell phones, internet/social media and YouTube. I didnt have any of that growing up, I use it now as a grown up but it doesn’t run my life...
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 11:29 PM   #16
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Month or two ago just a little bit outside of San Marcos some kids were sitting in their car at night broken down on 21.

Truck driver asleep at the wheel hit the car and killed a few of them.

I got no problem with kids on their phones out of most harms way

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 12:35 AM   #17
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

BIG difference between working on your dads GTO in the safety of a garage and being on the side of a major interstate highway.
LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 06:44 AM   #18
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

When my son was that age I would stay in the car and he would change it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #19
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Maybe they were calling AAA.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #20
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Myob....
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #21
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking….Pow Pow!

Thread fail!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #22
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

If I drove by and saw a 10 and 13 year old changing a tire on the side of a busy road, I would be questioning what was wrong with the dad.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #23
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Seems like he was trying to put them out of harms way. My dad would have made me sit in the car and risked getting us both killed. Because he's not very bright.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #24
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

yes they are, but your example is not a reflection of that fact.
My boy is 11 and he would have been right there beside me. Only difference is I'd have found a spot to pull over where the risk to either of us would have been minimal or reduced.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #25
Iehooligan11b
Ten Point

Id rather my kids don’t get smoked by some driver on the side of the highway
Iehooligan11b is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #26
Crazzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavidson View Post
My apologies...completely off topic !
I don't believe you are off topic at all.
You see the problem isn't that the kids were out of the car and to the side, the problem is that they were on their phones when they could have watched from the side to learn or kept a close eye for on coming traffic.
I wouldn't have my kids change the tire on the side of 35 but I know I wouldn't let them play on their phones while I was fixing the tire.

Just my 2 cants.
Crazzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #27
ccolley68
Eight Point

Hunt In: Salado, Real County, George West

I agree that kids are getting soft, but this specific situation is not indicative of it. I wouldn’t let my kids change a tire on the side of the highway, or be anywhere close to it. Just too many opportunities for something bad to happen. Walk out to go to work/school and the truck has a flat in the driveway one morning, you bet your *** they’ll be out there with me, but not on the side of a major highway in holiday traffic. My son is 3. He doesn’t get to hunt or shoot or anything yet, but he always goes with me. He sat with me while we dove hunted this year, and he stays in camp and sleeps in the morning while I hunt, but I always go get him to help track deer if I or anyone else shot one, he is right there with us while cleaning deer. My wife and I are very adamantly against the electronics the kids have, and they never touch ours. They play, have toys, use their imagination, and go outside. Our oldest daughter is in 2nd grade, and though I don’t like it much, I accept it as part of societal progress that they do some of their schoolwork both in class and at home on computers and iPads. But that is the only thing she does with the iPad, and it goes straight back to the charger when she is done. Had a good feeling dad moment, last time I had my son at the ranch a few days ago, we jump out of the truck, he hits the caliche at the house, looks at me and says “daddy, I love the dirt”. I might have reared up a little.
ccolley68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #28
Trevor73402
Eight Point

**** right they are soft and most are dumb as a hammer when it comes to common sense......but it’s the parents fault. All those kids that people are referring to being on their phones, the parents allow it. The parents allow the phones, the video games, the couch time instead of being outside.

Ask a random kid some very basic questions that a kid 20-30 years ago would have known the answers to at age 12, and prepare to lose a little more faith in humanity.

Just ask a kid which way is North or South......8 out of 10 won’t know.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #29
coy-ote
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit county

Ralphie helped his dad change a flat and then he said “oh fudge” but it wasn’t fudge

coy-ote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #30
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County
Default Going back on thread are kids soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
**** right they are soft and most are dumb as a hammer when it comes to common sense......but it’s the parents fault. All those kids that people are referring to being on their phones, the parents allow it. The parents allow the phones, the video games, the couch time instead of being outside.

Ask a random kid some very basic questions that a kid 20-30 years ago would have known the answers to at age 12, and prepare to lose a little more faith in humanity.

Just ask a kid which way is North or South......8 out of 10 won’t know.

Thank you for addressing the elephant in the room!

It is mostly parenting.
Kids do stupid stuff. It doesn’t matter what generation.

Difference is: stupid stuff I did growing up usually could have gotten me or most of us there killed or maimed at minimum. I think about all the dumb stuff I did growing up...usually out at the ranch, involving guns, fireworks, diesel and or gasoline...and sometimes flaming arrows....

Long as I didn’t blow up myself, my friends, the barn or the house.... our dads didn’t get to upset

As an educator....kids come to me with no social skills, no grit, a huge fear of making mistakes, cannot communicate because they were babysat by an iPad, and usually quit quickly when they either face a challenge or fail the first time.

A small part of my job should be teaching all of that. But it’s now 80% of our day. Teaching skills that our kids SHOULD have learned at home. My job is to teach em how to learn and how to acquire knowledge. The parents need to start sucking it up and realize that YOU aren’t going to get a parenting participation trophy either. Parenting is hard. Get over it and be a dang parent to your kid. Teach em right from wrong. Talk to them. READ to em every friggin night when they’re little. Talk to them. Get em outdoors and talk to them about nature.

Most kids today have no idea what a stable home life is like, or what it’s like to have a mom AND a dad. That ain’t their fault. It’s ours.

And my wife and i have raised 5yr old triplets and an 8 yr old, have been together over 20 yrs, both teach, and my wife is in grad school. So trust me... I know how hard parenting is. But I promise you....my kids know how to behave and can converse with adults easily and respectfully. They say yes ma’am and please and thank you because those are the EXPECTATIONS that are set and there are consequences that are clearly defined and followed through with.

Last edited by BuckySWT; 12-26-2019 at 12:08 PM.
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #31
topduarte
Pope & Young

Thanks for all the replies.

For me, I would have driven off highway to frontagr road parking lot even if it meant ruining a rim.

I am 99% sure those kids were dialing AAA or a tow truck
They were texting their friends or playing video games by the way they were looking at their phones.

Glad dad got them out if vehicle.
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #32
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by topduarte View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

For me, I would have driven off highway to frontagr road parking lot even if it meant ruining a rim.

I am 99% sure those kids were dialing AAA or a tow truck
They were texting their friends or playing video games by the way they were looking at their phones.

Glad dad got them out if vehicle.

This is my theory and know TxDOT recommends this as well. Lots of deaths every year with people out of there vehicles on the side of the road. $100 rim is not worth a life.

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2019, 10:51 PM   #33
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Not car related, but my 11 yr old couldn’t hump it on a pheasant hunt today. Wanted to sit in the truck after the 2nd field. I made him walk every mile of the hunt. I wasn’t having none his quit. I was making those same walks through heavier cover ALOT younger than he is, and in much colder weather
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #34
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking….Pow Pow!

WATCH: Texas trooper struck after semi flies off highway in multi-vehicle pileup – FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports
https://fox4kc.com/2019/12/27/watch-...ehicle-pileup/
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 11:09 PM   #35
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Haha is this real post?

Lol. No kidding.

Can’t wait until my kid turns 10 so that he can change a tire on the worst highway in Texas during the Christmas holidays

Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top