Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 01-17-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
MRWHITE87
Six Point

Hunt In: Kauffman county TX./ Delores Co
Lightbulb DFW group discount on big blob targets

So I'm interested in getting a big blob but they aren't cheap, and I am pretty sure no local shop has them for sale...
According to the website, they will sell them (relatively, of course) very cheap when a pallet is ordered as "the cost of freight begins to level off."
Even cheaper if we have a trucker on here that passes through NW Georgia on the way back.
I was thinking, if we could get a group of folks to join together and make a bulk order we could all save some money.
Unless some local shop wants to get in on the action and make a few bucks for facilitating.... lol

I'll be building a set of heavy ADULT arrows a la Ranch Fairy soon, and will be practicing with my broadheads a LOT as elk season nears. My poor Block Classic is on it's last leg as it is with just field points and skeet arrows....

Anyone else interested?
MRWHITE87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
76aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co.

Good idea. I may be in if this comes about. A while back I found a pawn shop just across the border in Louisiana that was a dealer for the blob. Just checked on line and could not locate the place.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

I might be interested.
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
M.LUNA
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma

I was just looking at those the other day. I would be interested in getting one, not sure that I would want one of the huge ones as I'd like to be able to move it around. But the 20x20 I believe is under 100#. I believe it's a little over 100$ but if it will help with the load throw it on the truck and I'll pitch in my part and pick it up when it comes in. Keep me posted.
M.LUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
TexasTealHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: North / Central Texas

How much savings we talking? How many people we need to make a pallet?
TexasTealHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #6
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Unless something has changed, they are the best target made IF you don’t plan on moving it around.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #7
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Id be interested at the right price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #8
TD2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Star TX

If you get some pricing post it based on pallet or trailer

Will pass on to the archery range I shoot at as they can always use new broadhead targets
TD2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 06:02 PM   #9
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

First I've heard of them. It's designed to shoot with broadheads I take it?
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #10
TD2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Star TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
First I've heard of them. It's designed to shoot with broadheads I take it?

Art

Darn hard to shoot them out. Made from glue backing used in carpeting

TD
TD2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #11
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

We could widen the net and deliver to Bownanza.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #12
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
How much savings we talking? How many people we need to make a pallet?

Website says prices start to get in the $170 range for 3-4 pallets (12-16 targets)

Old 01-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #13
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

This is a great purchase for a target if you can get them to you. I bought my Blob in early 2012 and got lucky with a $140 and free shipping deal they did around Christmas that year. Had a 24x24x10 or 12" delivered to my door. I shoot mostly field point and practice broadheads through it and here we are 8 years later and I'm still on the top half of the target. I painted the circles on it you see using a soup can and have since gone back and put more circles in between the top three layers of where there was space....so basically 5 circles per row. I am just now getting into the middle row/line of circles and I shoot a lot. The bottom two rows are untouched. The top two rows are pretty shot out but it will still stop a broadhead in some of the circles. Love the target but like was said above it is heavy....like 90-100lbs heavy. I shoot inside my garage/shop at 19 yards so I built a 2x4 frame for it to sit on with caster wheels and its easy to move now.

The only real con to it other than being heavy is that it can be abrasive to your FP/PH and arrows. It will flat turn your field points silver and shine up your first 3-4"" of carbon. I always flex test my arrows and have never had an issue but over 1-2 years time they will lose a few grains on their total weight up front so keep that in mind. After a few years my practice arrows are recycled anyway...whether it be into pigs, coons or the trash. Just a heads up in case somebody was curious.

I would suggest for longevity reason that you shoot at dots around the target and not just center punch all day long. I have seen a few folks discard their blobs because the "center was shot out" when they could have made them last 9 years.....plus I think I have another 9 years left.. That's a lot of money saved on Rhinearts, Blocks or bags.

Name:  Block 24x24 (Medium).JPG
Views: 438
Size:  42.2 KB
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #14
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post

The only real con to it other than being heavy is that it can be abrasive to your FP/PH and arrows. It will flat turn your field points silver and shine up your first 3-4"" of carbon. I always flex test my arrows and have never had an issue but over 1-2 years time they will lose a few grains on their total weight up front so keep that in mind. After a few years my practice arrows are recycled anyway...whether it be into pigs, coons or the trash. Just a heads up in case somebody was curious.

Attachment 988542
This has been my experience as well. I bought a "factory second" from them a couple years back and it has been a decent target. For the first few weeks I shot a ton of field points at it and actually had one of my Bemans crack a few inches below the insert. I generally only shoot broadheads at it now and anticipate it will last the rest of my bowhunting days for that. It's also pretty dang hard to pull arrows out of it compared to a block or bag target, but it's nice not having foam come out and trashing a target when shooting broadheads.

If you plan on shooting the vast majority of your practice with field points I would not recommend a blob. If you shoot a lot of broadheads you can't beat the durability/longevity it offers. Good luck!
mzurovec is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #15
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzurovec View Post
This has been my experience as well. I bought a "factory second" from them a couple years back and it has been a decent target. For the first few weeks I shot a ton of field points at it and actually had one of my Bemans crack a few inches below the insert. I generally only shoot broadheads at it now and anticipate it will last the rest of my bowhunting days for that. It's also pretty dang hard to pull arrows out of it compared to a block or bag target, but it's nice not having foam come out and trashing a target when shooting broadheads.

If you plan on shooting the vast majority of your practice with field points I would not recommend a blob. If you shoot a lot of broadheads you can't beat the durability/longevity it offers. Good luck!

I forgot about that con .. I use an Allen arrow puller and that helps a bunch until you get an area broken in. And broken in lasts a LONG time. Not like Block broken in. Broadheads were never an issue

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company.../dp/B071G7MRZ8

Last edited by Smart; 01-19-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #16
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Hmmm, if it handles broadheads so well, whats to keep a fella from no longer shooting field points and just dedicating a set of broadheads to practice? No need to worry if broadheads are hitting where the field points do that way.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #17
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Great idea, these things are awesome
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #18
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
Hmmm, if it handles broadheads so well, whats to keep a fella from no longer shooting field points and just dedicating a set of broadheads to practice? No need to worry if broadheads are hitting where the field points do that way.

Nothing. Knock yourself out!

I shoot at more than just my house so I always have field points in the mix. I shoot a combo of FP and my practice heads ..
Old 01-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #19
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

Ive had mine for five years and use it solely for broadhead and bare shaft shooting. If I had to guess I would say it probably has over 5k arrows in the front side and will probably see another 10k at its current pace. Like a lot of guys I was in this perpetual state of spending a 100+ dollars a year on targets. The majority of my shooting is on my 15 dollar Third Hand Rag Bag filled with shrink wrap and old clothes and it does very well only seeing FPs. I have not bought targets in several years and it feels great. You need to shoot the face up on the Blob to loosen it up, once its broke in pulling arrows wont be big deal. If you guys can get that group delivery it will be money well spent.

muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #20
MRWHITE87
Six Point

Hunt In: Kauffman county TX./ Delores Co

Ok so do we have a dozen+ in line?
I'll give the guy a call if we have a legit group to place a bulk order for.
MRWHITE87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 10:27 PM   #21
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Im in

Old 01-19-2020, 10:50 PM   #22
M.LUNA
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma

I'll take a medium one the 24x24.
M.LUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 11:32 PM   #23
IkemanTX
Ten Point

If we get to choose, Id like a big blob
If the 24X24 is all were ordering Ill still get one.

Old 01-19-2020, 11:45 PM   #24
acearrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke County

Check with fastenal stores in the area. A blue truck will pick up a pallet from a store and deliver it to another store. Their rates are extremely cheap. All you have to do is arrange the pallet be taken to a fastenal store near the target factory and it can be delivered to any fastenal store in Texas. Could save you a lot in shipping.
acearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #25
100%TtId
Ten Point

I'm in, been wanting a blob for a long time.
100%TtId is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #26
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Any update on if this is going anywhere?

Old 02-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #27
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

I don't know what the big deal is on the price. You can get a 20X20 for $149.00 shipped to you. It will easily last way more then twice as long as a Reinhart 18-1. I'm on my 2nd and 3rd ones and I had them shipped to me. I only shoot broadheads into them as my bag targets are for field points. I had these last 2 for over 2 years and probably have at least 2 more year left in them. The first one lasted about 4 years. We shoot a lot broadheads, if it was just me, I'm sure I would still be on my first one. I bought 2 Reinharts after my first blob wore out and those two didn't last much more then a year. I've seen and shot all kinds of targets over my 30+ years of archery and I've never seen a target come close to lasting as long as the blob target with broadheads.
It's easily worth the $149.00.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #28
IkemanTX
Ten Point

The big deal is primarily for those of us that want the BIG blob.

Sure, I can order the 20X20 on my own, but shipping on the big blob is astronomical for a single buy.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #29
100%TtId
Ten Point

The OP is MIA.
100%TtId is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top