Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.
Default What's your favorite meal?

No, not talking about your favorite food... I'm talking about what meal that you've eaten at a moment in time that you enjoyed so much that it can only be described as your favorite?

For example, my favorite meal was seaside in a small village on the shore near Yelapa, Mexico. We had endless amounts of Pacifico and lime, endless shrimp, and a 4-course meal that included endless lobster and fresh fish caught earlier that morning. It was the day before my wedding and was shared with my then fiance, mother in law, parents and my sister.

That was the best meal of my life. It was in a place which I can only describe as paradise, had the most important people in my life around me all at the same time, the food was excellent, and the memories made will last forever. And while I would always pick a ribeye over shrimp and fish, the moment in time, the great people that served us, the family we shared it with, THAT makes it my favorite meal.

So what's your favorite meal?
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Switzerland, Lake Lucerne, chicken with pasta and several cheeses and dry red table wine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
BeetleGuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman, TX / Alread, AR

I love eating out and especially on vacation. With that being said I don’t remember or crave any of those meals. My last meal would be fried venison, rice and gravy. Not even a close 2nd. I would prob have to cook it also
BeetleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 08:51 PM   #4
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

We have always had Christmas at our house and I cook lunch. About 10 years ago we sat 23 people for lunch. I made a crazy good meal that I have not attempted since then. This year we sat 14 folks. All the parents and older siblings have gone home........
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Best meal I’ve ever had and I will never forget how good it was and can still taste it to this day...

Last year on a sand bar down from our meat cache we grilled over some willow, fresh moose steaks from the day before with fresh caught pike from that day and ramen noodles as the side. Simple but my goodness it was incredible!
diamond10x is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #6
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie, Kimble

Great thread bud. Mine was without a doubt, the T-bones me and my dad enjoyed over a mesquite fire in the middle of nowhere on our lease in Zapata county. Heís been gone 9 years now and I still canít hardly talk about him without getting choked up.

Iím in no hurry but canít wait to throw some steaks on the grill with him again some day.

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #7
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

No idea the name of the place, we were in Chiba, Japan and a buddy knew of a nice place. Maybe had seating for 25 total. No menus, 15 courses, lots of drinks and laughs. I’ve never had food that good since

2nd best would be whenever I used to go help my bil with branding. Lunch and dinner on the last day was worth all the work
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #8
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

A can of biscuits that was wrapped in foil and throwed in coals, it didn't hurt that we were snowed in at nearly 10,000 feet mule deer hunting. For some reason I remember that hunt every time I see cheap canned biscuits.
mrc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #9
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

My favorite meal would probably be the meal we have yearly on Christmas Eve. It’s Menudo, different kinds of tamales, rice, beans, cabbage with tomato and lemon. Sometimes we throw in some beef ribs and all different kinds of desserts.
6.5CM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #10
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

If I were to have a final meal it would have to be a pile of over easy eggs, steak-beef or venison, hash browns-actual hash browns not that shredded crap out of the freezer section, and big pile of buttered toast. It's because I can only have the memories of Holliday meals at grandma's or dad's campfire meals on the riverbank, I guess some things weren't meant to be replaced.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:29 PM   #11
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

My dad and I split a seafood platter on the island of Crete. Everything was caught that morning and not your typical seafood, there were lots of things that pushed my dad out of his comfort zone. It was really a special, relaxing meal that I will always cherish.
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #12
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

My next one....
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #13
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Cougar loins
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:25 PM   #14
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie, Kimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Cougar loins

Close the thread!

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #15
lilavidhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
Great thread bud. Mine was without a doubt, the T-bones me and my dad enjoyed over a mesquite fire in the middle of nowhere on our lease in Zapata county. He’s been gone 9 years now and I still can’t hardly talk about him without getting choked up.

I’m in no hurry but can’t wait to throw some steaks on the grill with him again some day.

That is so Awesome. I still hunt with my 83 year old Dad and appreciate every minute I am with him. I am a Very Lucky Man.

Last edited by lilavidhunter; 01-17-2020 at 10:33 PM.
lilavidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #16
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

A nice redfish fillet blackened and laid over dirty rice ladled with crawfish etouffee.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:58 PM   #17
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

Shore lunch with fresh walleye when we were fishing in Canada. Can’t wait to do it again this summer.
TX CHICKEN is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 02:04 AM   #18
tonyterry
Six Point

Hunt In: Long star state

Stop in Elgin tx to have sausage with my dad it was the last time we ever ate together before he pass. We use to go through there all the time when I was a kid. He told me about once about his family drove mule and wagon from Austin to Elgin so his dad could visit his brother. A flood came and they were stuck in Elgin for a month before they could get back across creek.

tonyterry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 05:17 AM   #19
CJ776
Eight Point

Hunt In: Baylor County

Good thread! Probably Perry's steakhouse in Frisco with my wife 2 years ago. Wasn't so much the food, although it was very good, cote de boeuf, lobster mac and cheese, mushrooms etc...

We had recently bought our first house and my BIL & SIL unbeknownst to us had found out we were celebrating at Perry's. We got cocktails to start, then got a bottle of wine for our dinner. The waiter comes out with a bottle of Champagne and ANOTHER bottle of wine and says is surprise from my BIlL/SIL. He says ok to open and we say yes, intending to just have the champ. Well this guy opens BOTH BOTTLES.

So we end up having cocktails, 2 bottles of wine, and a bottle of bubbly and of course desert. We got there at 6:30-7 and were the last table out and they were cleaning up when we left. The waiter was really funny and added a lot to the experience. We had a good time being big wigs for the night. Had to grab a cab... We also later back tracked it and found out that was the night that resulted in our first child lol!
CJ776 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 07:05 AM   #20
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

My best friend in High School won the Saddle Bronc @ Cowtown Coliseum.His first ride with his PRCA card.(Beat Monty Henson,hard to do back then)His Dad's girlfriend took us all to the Keg downtown,and told us to order whatever we wanted,and was adamant about it!
It was awesome.The conversation,the food,excitement,etc..Turns out it was her ex-husband's credit card,lol

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 07:11 AM   #21
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5CM View Post
My favorite meal would probably be the meal we have yearly on Christmas Eve. Itís Menudo, different kinds of tamales, rice, beans, cabbage with tomato and lemon. Sometimes we throw in some beef ribs and all different kinds of desserts.
Count me in ,sound Wonderful......

I LOVE GUT Soup!!!
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #22
tonyterry
Six Point

Hunt In: Long star state

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
Count me in ,sound Wonderful......

I LOVE GUT Soup!!!

tonyterry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #23
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

I've never forgotten a meal we had at the lease in Llano around 1995 or so, I was still in high school. Beef, chicken, venison and pork fajitas on fried soft corn tortillas cooked in an old school homemade disc cooker. We had salad with homemade ranch on the side and Busch Light in the Dixie cups. We would dip the corn tortillas in the grease and line them around the top edge of of the disc.

There were 3 of us boys and 2 dad's there that weekend and we didn't kill a deer but spotlighted enough Jack rabbits to feed a small army and burned through about 10g of gas on the 4 wheelers.

Last edited by jshouse; 01-18-2020 at 03:50 PM.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #24
Tbuddyandroby
Eight Point

Hunt In: Votaw

I have so many..., but one of my favorite memories and meals was helping my granddaddy clean catfish we'd caught the night before. We then would go to the local fish market and get some buffalo ribs caught out of our local bayou in hoop nets. He had a 2 burner propane set up, some old black iron pots, and hot grease. While grandma and my momma was making potato salad and sides, me and granddaddy would fry fish. Man, I can still hear the grease popping and smell that fresh fish. He'd tell me old stories and we would laugh while "Sampling" fish and homemade hushpuppies as we cooked. He would say, "See there son, you can tell when the fish is done when they try and Swim again (float).
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #25
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

December 1968. I just finished my tour in Thailand. I landed in Greensboro NC at about
4:00am. My cousin picked me up at the airport and drove me home to Liberty. My mom and dad (both passed now) did not know I was coming. We knocked on the door about 5:00 and my mom answered the door. She fixed us a good Carolina breakfast, bacon, sausage, eggs, white gravy and homemade biscuits.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #26
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Favorite food: Liver and onions.
Favorite meal is christmas dinner with family.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hoggslayer; 01-18-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #27
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Man, that's a hard one. The last meal we had in Israel was special. My Parents 60th Anniversary meal was special.
Anytime I go on a date with my wife, just her and I, that's always special.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #28
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

If we're doing sentimental meals I'll have to go with my grandmother's stew that she fixed everyone as a Christmas present in the 5-10 years before she passed. She had a small house that my pawpaw built himself and it would be packed with family. Some outside around a fire and the elders inside playing dominoes or chewing the cud. I miss those times dearly as most of those people have moved on weather to heaven or different stages of life. I have those dominoes in my safe and they're priceless. Occasionally my wife and son will play a game with them.

If we're talking about my absolute favorite meal it is parilla fajitas at El sombrero in Longview tx surrounded by my wife and son with a cold dressed did Equis in hand.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #29
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

Argentina grass fed beef tenderloin served light-med rare with King Crab Legs. Best ever. That beef is impossible to get now.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 05:46 PM   #30
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Moms smothered steak
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 06:30 PM   #31
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

We caught halibut in Alaska and fried some up that day next to a glacial river in Alaska. Probably the best meal I’ve ever eaten, and definitely the most memorable.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #32
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Standing rib roast

TildenHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #33
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Probably the last meal I ate with my grandfather on the porch of their vacation home in Red River, New Mexico. Ribeye with all the fixings. Didn’t know that he would be dead a month later. I miss that man everyday!
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 09:41 PM   #34
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford, Kansas, MS

My last meal in South Florida will be hard to top. I was leaving Fla to move back to MS after a year down there after college. I worked at The Ritz Carlton Palm Beach and thus knew the food was great. My dad flew in to help move me back and on my last day we made reservations at the 5 Star Fine Dining Restaurant in The Ritz. We didn't even have to order, they said "we are gonna bring you some of everything". We were treated like Kings to a 7 course meal that was outta this world fine with some fantastic wine too. Nearing the end of the meal my dad said "this one's gonna cost me an arm and a leg, but **** was it worth it!" Well, being that I had made lots of friends in the restaurant and hotel, and also gotten my best friend and roommate a job in The Fine Dining Grill....we got our entire meal comped! They literally brought us a $0 tab and I know it woulda been over $350-400 with all the courses and alcohol. My dad and I were floored. They all came out and hugged me goodbye and we went and celebrated with my work crew out on the town and drank plenty more. My dad still talks about that night and it was 17-18 years ago. Great memory for us!
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #35
Bjankowski
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Texas

Lobster Mornay, Fisherman's Warf Sydney Australia. The view was spectacular and the ambience was extraordinary. I'd do it again, just not crazy about the 24 hour flight.
Bjankowski is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 10:10 PM   #36
julius1967
Nubbin' Buck

For me is my Grandmas Oxtail stew over
white rice. Hard to duplicate it,she just threw everything together no measuring cup no precise anything. Only thing it was always amazing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
julius1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 10:22 PM   #37
SamHarper
Ten Point

I was driving through Meridian one day on my way from Abilene to Corsicana. I stopped to look at an antique shop, and as I was walking in the downtown area, I found the Cactus Grill. I went inside and ordered the fajitas. That was the best meal I ever had.
SamHarper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 10:27 PM   #38
talleywack97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out East a bit

11 years ago i ate swordfish tacos on the Riviera maya while on honeymoon at the resort we were at. El Dorado Royal
talleywack97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 10:51 PM   #39
krtnorris
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Ohio

Megafawn fried backstraps and fried potatoes mixed with scrabbled eggs and a bottle of ketchup and a Dr Pepper!
krtnorris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 11:16 PM   #40
Justin Spies
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas, South Africa, Waiting for IOWA!!

It would probably be sable filets from a beautiful bull my childhood best friend killed a couple days prior. They were cooked over hot coals on our last night in South Africa with my best buds on a trip I hope to tell my grandkids about some day! It was a blast!!
Justin Spies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 11:27 PM   #41
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

My favorite meal is the mussels from Lafriet in downtown San Antonio.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 11:30 PM   #42
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
Shore lunch with fresh walleye when we were fishing in Canada. Canít wait to do it again this summer.

Thatís it! Lake of the Woods, but MN side. Last time I had shore lunch!
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 12:02 AM   #43
MUZZYSLINGR
Ten Point

BBQ coon fritters, fried okra & a pint of moonshine to wash it all down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MUZZYSLINGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 12:05 AM   #44
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

THe day after I killed my moose we had moose heart 3 ways..Fried rice, creamed corn and home made rolls. Probably will go down as the best meal of my life..
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 12:07 AM   #45
Big Lee
Six Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Any meal that included my grandparents. But the most memorable was McD's on the front porch. My grandpa would let me pick breakfast on Saturday mornings. I always picked McDonald's as a kid lol. He would go along with it and we'd drive to town and grab McD's and have it on his front porch. Great memories for me.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 01:24 AM   #46
bar2hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell, McLennan

Gravy beef tips, and a bunch of vegetables I can't pronounce, and fresh fruit in Haiti! Pikliz!!!
bar2hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 02:00 AM   #47
Cbb1722
Ten Point

My grandmas chicken friend backstrap with gravy and purple hull peas and mashed potatoes. She taught me how to make it and although I have the steaks down. I have yet figured out how to make the gravy taste or even look like hers. Just never had anything thing that comes close to that.
Cbb1722 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #48
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Having read all this, I am assuming of course that the OP meant "other than the can of aerosol propelled whipped cream in the refrigerator for emergency snacking"!
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top