No announcement yet.

Going back on thread are kids soft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month or two ago just a little bit outside of San Marcos some kids were sitting in their car at night broken down on 21.

Truck driver asleep at the wheel hit the car and killed a few of them.

I got no problem with kids on their phones out of most harms way

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

BIG difference between working on your dads GTO in the safety of a garage and being on the side of a major interstate highway.

Comment

When my son was that age I would stay in the car and he would change it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe they were calling AAA.

Comment

Myob....

Comment

Thread fail!

Comment

If I drove by and saw a 10 and 13 year old changing a tire on the side of a busy road, I would be questioning what was wrong with the dad.

Comment

Seems like he was trying to put them out of harms way. My dad would have made me sit in the car and risked getting us both killed. Because he's not very bright.

Comment

yes they are, but your example is not a reflection of that fact.
                    My boy is 11 and he would have been right there beside me. Only difference is I'd have found a spot to pull over where the risk to either of us would have been minimal or reduced.

Comment

Id rather my kids don’t get smoked by some driver on the side of the highway

Comment

Originally posted by jdavidson View Post
                        My apologies...completely off topic !
                        I don't believe you are off topic at all.
                        You see the problem isn't that the kids were out of the car and to the side, the problem is that they were on their phones when they could have watched from the side to learn or kept a close eye for on coming traffic.
                        I wouldn't have my kids change the tire on the side of 35 but I know I wouldn't let them play on their phones while I was fixing the tire.

Just my 2 cants.

Comment

I agree that kids are getting soft, but this specific situation is not indicative of it. I wouldn’t let my kids change a tire on the side of the highway, or be anywhere close to it. Just too many opportunities for something bad to happen. Walk out to go to work/school and the truck has a flat in the driveway one morning, you bet your *** they’ll be out there with me, but not on the side of a major highway in holiday traffic. My son is 3. He doesn’t get to hunt or shoot or anything yet, but he always goes with me. He sat with me while we dove hunted this year, and he stays in camp and sleeps in the morning while I hunt, but I always go get him to help track deer if I or anyone else shot one, he is right there with us while cleaning deer. My wife and I are very adamantly against the electronics the kids have, and they never touch ours. They play, have toys, use their imagination, and go outside. Our oldest daughter is in 2nd grade, and though I don’t like it much, I accept it as part of societal progress that they do some of their schoolwork both in class and at home on computers and iPads. But that is the only thing she does with the iPad, and it goes straight back to the charger when she is done. Had a good feeling dad moment, last time I had my son at the ranch a few days ago, we jump out of the truck, he hits the caliche at the house, looks at me and says “daddy, I love the dirt”. I might have reared up a little.

Comment

**** right they are soft and most are dumb as a hammer when it comes to common sense......but it’s the parents fault. All those kids that people are referring to being on their phones, the parents allow it. The parents allow the phones, the video games, the couch time instead of being outside.

Ask a random kid some very basic questions that a kid 20-30 years ago would have known the answers to at age 12, and prepare to lose a little more faith in humanity.

Just ask a kid which way is North or South......8 out of 10 won’t know.

Comment

Ralphie helped his dad change a flat and then he said “oh fudge” but it wasn’t fudge [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Going back on thread are kids soft

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                                **** right they are soft and most are dumb as a hammer when it comes to common sense......but it’s the parents fault. All those kids that people are referring to being on their phones, the parents allow it. The parents allow the phones, the video games, the couch time instead of being outside.

Ask a random kid some very basic questions that a kid 20-30 years ago would have known the answers to at age 12, and prepare to lose a little more faith in humanity.

Just ask a kid which way is North or South......8 out of 10 won’t know.

Thank you for addressing the elephant in the room!

It is mostly parenting.
                                Kids do stupid stuff. It doesn’t matter what generation.

Difference is: stupid stuff I did growing up usually could have gotten me or most of us there killed or maimed at minimum. I think about all the dumb stuff I did growing up...usually out at the ranch, involving guns, fireworks, diesel and or gasoline...and sometimes flaming arrows....

Long as I didn’t blow up myself, my friends, the barn or the house.... our dads didn’t get to upset [emoji16]

As an educator....kids come to me with no social skills, no grit, a huge fear of making mistakes, cannot communicate because they were babysat by an iPad, and usually quit quickly when they either face a challenge or fail the first time.

A small part of my job should be teaching all of that. But it’s now 80% of our day. Teaching skills that our kids SHOULD have learned at home. My job is to teach em how to learn and how to acquire knowledge. The parents need to start sucking it up and realize that YOU aren’t going to get a parenting participation trophy either. Parenting is hard. Get over it and be a dang parent to your kid. Teach em right from wrong. Talk to them. READ to em every friggin night when they’re little. Talk to them. Get em outdoors and talk to them about nature.

Most kids today have no idea what a stable home life is like, or what it’s like to have a mom AND a dad. That ain’t their fault. It’s ours.

And my wife and i have raised 5yr old triplets and an 8 yr old, have been together over 20 yrs, both teach, and my wife is in grad school. So trust me... I know how hard parenting is. But I promise you....my kids know how to behave and can converse with adults easily and respectfully. They say yes ma’am and please and thank you because those are the EXPECTATIONS that are set and there are consequences that are clearly defined and followed through with.
                                Last edited by BuckySWT; 12-26-2019, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X