Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-26-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co
Default Nikon Prostaff scope ?

Got a friend with a couple scopes for sale. I've found a Burris on black Friday that I'm considering, but I might be able to buy both of these for a little more than I can buy it. Anyone here have good/bad experience with either of these?
Attached Images

Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

How much he want for them!
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Can’t go wrong with either
Old 11-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #4
lost cajun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County, Mississippi, South Louisiana

I’ve used Prostaff for years. Ive been pleased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lost cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 10:32 PM   #5
Muskles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
How much he want for them!
Got him talked down to $200 for em both. Supposed to be new, but about 7 years old.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:33 PM   #6
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskles View Post
Got him talked down to $200 for em both. Supposed to be new, but about 7 years old.
I’ll take em! Do it
Old 11-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
Antlers86
Pope & Young

The BDC 3-9x50 is $200+ alone
Old 11-26-2019, 10:38 PM   #8
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Do not buy a used scope.

In my experience its just a bad idea. If you have issues, you're SOL.

Buy a new one and if you have issues return it. If later you have issues, you know the history and get the warranty work.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
Muskles
Pope & Young

Quote:
The BDC 3-9x50 is $200+ alone
Yea, he got them from a friend that is kinda divorced. Her husband had them, but doesn't want them. I'm not sure what they've been through during the divorce and moving. Told him I'd give about half what the retail price is. Took a while for me to get a response.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:41 PM   #10
Muskles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post
Do not buy a used scope.

Buy a new one and if you have issues return it. If later you have issues, you know the history and get the warranty work.
This was my concern. They've never been mounted, but I don't know if they've been dropped or anything.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:19 PM   #11
east tx hoghunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: east tx

I’m pretty sure Nikon warranty’s no matter who bought or sold them. I would go for it.
east tx hoghunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 11:37 PM   #12
rolylane6
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx hoghunt View Post
I’m pretty sure Nikon warranty’s no matter who bought or sold them. I would go for it.
Not sure about their warranty service but I'm not a fan of Nikons customer service. I had a 3 yr old rangefinder that quit working. Sent it in for repair, expecting to pay for the repair. After they received it they called me and quoted me about the same price to repair it that I paid for it when I bought it new. I asked if they were just going to replace it since the cost was about the same as a new one. The girl said they didn't know yet because they hadn't tested it to see what was wrong with it yet. I asked how they knew what it would cost then since they didn't know what was wrong with it yet and they said that they were basing repair cost on what the described issue was. I asked if this was an estimated cost then and could it be less if the repairs were less than expected. She said no, this was going to be the actual cost. I ask to speak to a supervisor and the gentleman I spoke to gave me the same speech. I haven't owned another Nikon product since.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 12:39 AM   #13
Muskles
Pope & Young

TTT. Gotta make my mind up before tomorrow. It's a black Friday Burris, if I don't buy these.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:14 AM   #14
snappertapper
Ten Point

Quote:
TTT. Gotta make my mind up before tomorrow. It's a black Friday Burris, if I don't buy these.
200$ for the pair? Hell, buy the Burris and I'll buy the Nikon's from you.
snappertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #15
Kossetx
Eight Point

Quote:
Do not buy a used scope.

Not if it's a Leupold....
Kossetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #16
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

I have a Nikon Prostaff BDC that does not adjust well. Once I get it set, it will hold zero. But getting it there is very tricky.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #17
TB80
Ten Point

FYI - Nikon is getting out of the scope business but I don't know how that will affect the warranty on the scopes.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ni...cope-business/
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #18
Muskles
Pope & Young

Thanks everyone for the input. Unfortunately this was a big fat bust! I probably should be pi$$ed about the whole "deal", but all I can do is SMH and laugh. This deal started about a month ago. A friend was helping his friend clean out some of her husband's stuff. Unfortunately, my friend doesn't know **** about ****. He saw the Nikon boxes, googled Nikon scope and the first one that popped up was over $700. He asked if I knew anyone who wanted to buy a couple brand new, in the box scopes for $600 each. He sent me the pictures and I looked em up and they were $178 and $198 on Amazon. He said they had been sitting in her closet for over 6 years, but had never been on a gun. Not knowing what they had been through, I told him I'd pay a little over half price and buy them both. He said she had to think about it. In the meantime, he told another guy we work with about them and he said he'd buy one for $100. I found out and asked him what was up with that? The other guy ended up buying a new scope, so he backed out. Found out last night that she finally decided she would sell them to me for $200. My "buddy" brought them to work today and we went to his truck to check them out. I pulled out the 40 and the glass looked good, but I didn't pay attention to the outside of it. Opened the box for the 50 and the scope in the box looked smaller than my other 50 does, but I thought maybe it was just a shorter model. Still wasn't paying attention to what I was looking at. Glass looked good in it also, then I felt grease on the tube. Looked down and there was a scope ring. Looked on the side and there was a "B" on the turret (?) cover. Looked back at the other and it said Barska on the side and you could see scratches from a scope ring. Apparently, her husband had swapped out scopes and put the old ones back in the Nikon boxes.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #19
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Do not buy a used scope.

Nikon is getting out of the scope business according to www.outdoornews.com and a couple more site.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #20
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Nikon better back up their "no questions asked" lifetime warranty on my new Monarch 5 4-16X50 if I ever have any issues. Love the scope, but I just bought the thing to put on my new 7 mag, and the warranty factored into the decision. It was either the Nikon or A Zeiss Conquest, and Nikon had the better warranty.......
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #21
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Never and again, NEVER had any problems with Nikon. I know all brands have their issues from time to time, but at least for me I've had none.

So, with that said, bought a Nikon Binocular today from Academy, best look from all the brands I tried AND the firearms manager confirmed: They have been notified by Nikon they are getting out of the scope business. Personally, I believe they have been the best value at least for us.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #22
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Excellent glass for the money
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #23
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input. Unfortunately this was a big fat bust! I probably should be pi$$ed about the whole "deal", but all I can do is SMH and laugh. This deal started about a month ago. A friend was helping his friend clean out some of her husband's stuff. Unfortunately, my friend doesn't know **** about ****. He saw the Nikon boxes, googled Nikon scope and the first one that popped up was over $700. He asked if I knew anyone who wanted to buy a couple brand new, in the box scopes for $600 each. He sent me the pictures and I looked em up and they were $178 and $198 on Amazon. He said they had been sitting in her closet for over 6 years, but had never been on a gun. Not knowing what they had been through, I told him I'd pay a little over half price and buy them both. He said she had to think about it. In the meantime, he told another guy we work with about them and he said he'd buy one for $100. I found out and asked him what was up with that? The other guy ended up buying a new scope, so he backed out. Found out last night that she finally decided she would sell them to me for $200. My "buddy" brought them to work today and we went to his truck to check them out. I pulled out the 40 and the glass looked good, but I didn't pay attention to the outside of it. Opened the box for the 50 and the scope in the box looked smaller than my other 50 does, but I thought maybe it was just a shorter model. Still wasn't paying attention to what I was looking at. Glass looked good in it also, then I felt grease on the tube. Looked down and there was a scope ring. Looked on the side and there was a "B" on the turret (?) cover. Looked back at the other and it said Barska on the side and you could see scratches from a scope ring. Apparently, her husband had swapped out scopes and put the old ones back in the Nikon boxes.
“Buddy” no more!
Old 11-27-2019, 09:55 PM   #24
Muskles
Pope & Young

Quote:
“Buddy” no more!
If I thought he was trying to rip me off, that would be the case. He's a pretty good guy and was trying to help out a single woman. He's not very observant and really doesn't know much about guns and accessories for them. He grew up with a mother that was terrified of guns. He's just started hunting and shooting some over the past 5 years, or so. Him offering them to someone else out from under me did kinda tick me off a little, but I get over stuff pretty easy.