Real deer hunting cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real deer hunting cost

So I ran the hard math this morning to see what my $ was per year on deer hunting. Super scary for a person like myself that makes a good living to have almost 19% of my income go to deer hunting. I have been hunting for 40 years and to tell you the truth it doesn't have the appeal as when I was 20 or 30 or 40. Been their done that. I love firearms and will always shoot but the cost is weighing heavily on me to retire within the next 30 years.

First year sense I was 16 that I didn't bow hunt except for a co elk trip. First year I went to fill feeders which we have 18 with no help last weekend. Every year everyone invites their self to opening weekend of rifle.

It's hard to keep a place with everything going without passion.

Thank God for whiskey. Do the math and ask if your ready for that number. Most can't aford it and I guess I figured that out this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson View Post
      So I ran the hard math this morning to see what my $ was per year on deer hunting. Super scary for a person like myself that makes a good living to have almost 19% of my income go to deer hunting. I have been hunting for 40 years and to tell you the truth it doesn't have the appeal as when I was 20 or 30 or 40. Been their done that. I love firearms and will always shoot but the cost is weighing heavily on me to retire within the next 30 years.

First year sense I was 16 that I didn't bow hunt except for a co elk trip. First year I went to fill feeders which we have 18 with no help last weekend. Every year everyone invites their self to opening weekend of rifle.

It's hard to keep a place with everything going without passion.
      Nelson, if my wife sees this.

Comment

Hunting doesn’t have to be that expensive. It does to have an opportunity to take a nice buck or an opportunity at several different critters. But just to enjoy a deer stand on public land is relatively cheap. You more than likely won’t be covered up in deer, but you will be i. A stand enjoying gods creations

Comment

Well you have to know your limits , putting up with all the BS and cost
          Attached Files

Comment

When it gets to be all work and its not fun anymore, I guess it would be time to give it up. Never thought about how much it cost because we enjoy it. I hear what you are saying though, guess there is a time down the line when it just isnt fun any more..........but I aint got there yet.

Comment

Spending time at the lease with my Pops and friends is priceless.

Comment

All you need is a piece of ground in a few bags of corn, I think sometimes we over complicate things!

Comment

Jeff Foxworthy video covering this topic

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qJa8kxPfPoU"]Jeff Foxworthy "Are you going Hunting Again?" - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I don't need this type of negativity in my life!

Mods, please delete this thread before my wife sees it!

Comment

I will be scaling back next year. I pay for two memberships and having to maintain four hunting areas and keep feeders going year round by myself has gotten to be way too much work. Not to mention maintaining the hunting areas on my private property and my camp and camp area.

Comment

It doesn't have to be expensive. I pay $1750 year round with 6 large lakes. 5 people on a thousand acres in Mills County. And spend about a grand on fuel and food.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think like most hobbies, start up costs can be expensive, but once you get your setup, don't change it for a decade or two.

Comment

I pay about 6% of our total gross income.

Comment

The lease arrangement I was on involved back breaking work for the small return. I was loosing passion. Then I started really doing the upfront work of research and pre scouting from my office, applying for quality public hunts, making the few hunts I do pay dividends (memories and success). I have land too, it doesn't control me though and I scratch the land manager itch while building on my investment. Working for now... itll change someday I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X