Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co
Default Right handed, left eye dominant archery?

I noticed when my son was little and learning to shoot a BB gun, he would hold the gun right handed and look down the sights with his left eye. I tried to get him to hold the gun left handed, but it was too awkward for him. I just had him close his left eye and he could shoot fine right handed. Fast forward to last year, I bought him a right handed bow, and he shoots it well. This year (freshman 14 yo), he's taking an outdoor activities class. They're starting archery and his teacher is setting him up with a left handed bow, since he's left eye dominant. He hasn't said how it feels or how it's going and he didn't tell the teacher he already shoots a bow right handed. Should I have him ask the teacher to change him to a right handed bow, or let him try the left handed?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
TxSon1836
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

i say let him try lefty and see which is a better fit. nothing wrong with him being able to shoot both ways and he has a decent back up LH or RH
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I’m same. I wish someone would have informed me and set me up with left hand bow . If he ever shoot trad being left eye dominant and shooting from right side is horrible.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Let him shoot it left eye/handed. Iam in the same boat as him. Shot righthanded guns left handed all my life. I wish many times I would have swapped. Even now when I set up a treestand, I set it up for a lefthanded shooter and Im righthanded.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
Stuck
Ten Point

Iím left eye dominant, left handed and shoot everything right handed. Never been an issue, just adjusted. Glad no one was around to tell me what I was doing wrong growing up.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
AgBow25
Six Point

Hunt In: Burnett County

Im right handed but left eye dominant. shoot bow and rifle left handed
AgBow25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
glen
Pope & Young

He should be fine but will never be able to shoot traditional as well. I shoot everything right hand. I do switch with handguns once I get past 15 yards. Rifle is fine but when it shoot anything long distance I have to wear an eye patch over my left eye
Old 09-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Get an eye patch at Wal Mart for $3 and put it on his left eye. shoot right handed. Worked for my grand kids that were left eye dominant
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
Mountaineer
Eight Point

Hunt In: WV,SD, Hunt co

My 7 yo is the same. He canít close only his left eye only yet to shoot right handed. Weíve tried a patch, but I might just get him a left-handed bow and rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #10
glen
Pope & Young

Mountain you are doing him a favor trust me
Old 09-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I think it is wise - in the long run - for bows/guns to align with the dominant eye and I think he will adapt to shooting left handed fairly quickly. A friend of mine had been shooting for years right handed when he lost his right eye in an accident. He had no choice but to make the switch and said it was awkward at first but after a couple of months of practice he was shooting just as well left handed as he ever did right.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #12
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Lots of research has been done on this in the last 10 years. Shooting a bow is not the same as shooting a rifle. I know - duh!

The school of thought was to shoot the side that was eye dominant, regardless of physical dominance. But research has shown that archery requires full body engagement and balance, so if the person is physically right side dominant, then they should shoot right handed.

But, how to handle the left eye dominance??? Using a eye patch or closing the weak side eye is probably the worst thing to do, honestly. The light reduction to the open eye can reduce vision by 20-30%. The best scenario is to use a blinder on a cap or put a blinder on the sight housing. These are about $10 from Lancaster Archery. Some people do find just switching over to left hand shooting is fairly easy, so in the end, try different things.

I am right handed and right eye dominant. But an interesting fact about eye dominance, particularly in women, is it can change. For about 3 years, I became co-dominant. To adjust, I used a blinder and a slightly larger peep which allowed more light into my right eye. I struggled with the blinder on my cap so I used one on my sight housing for a few years. This year, my right eye has become full dominant again so I was able to remove the blinder. Weird, right??
Dusty Britches is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #13
whakm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, we'll see how this goes

In on this one. Have been right eye dominant my whole life but as of late my eyesights been changing and now I'm actually left eye dominant. ( weird). I just squint now where I use to shoot with both eyes open. Even been thinking of going to an eye patch. Sucks getting older.
If he's young and not set in his ways yet try letting him shoot left handed. We have an archery program at work and that's we've had to have some of our kids do. Not THAT big of an adjustment when you're first starting out.
Just read post above. I think the blinder would be an even better idea.
whakm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #14
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I close my left eye and shoot with my right. Didn't realize it was a handicap.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #15
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I close my left eye and shoot with my right. Didn't realize it was a handicap.
This
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #16
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

I used a patch for years until I got my first LH bow. Worked great and killed plenty of animals but I am much more comfortable shooting left handed now.
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #17
sjaaaz
Eight Point

Hunt In: McCulloch County, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I cant close my left eye without closing both.....I guess that is the handicap.

it was either use an eye patch (hecks no) or shoot lefty.
sjaaaz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #18
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaaaz View Post
I cant close my left eye without closing both.....I guess that is the handicap.

it was either use an eye patch (hecks no) or shoot lefty.
Gotcha. That is definitely a problem. But patches are the new sexy
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #19
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico

I have the same issue. Let him shoot and bat left handed if he plays baseball and he will do better

gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #20
glen
Pope & Young

If he always shoots with a sight and has an apature then he can shoot whatever side. Shoot a trad bow and he will not have a reference point and will be forced to adjust for yardage but also adjust left right at the same yardage because of his eye dominance and picking up the arrowhead and using it as a reference point.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #21
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Shoot with both eyes open is the key .
Hoss163 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #22
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

Sorry thought we were talking about guns. But the patch worked for my grandson.
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #23
glen
Pope & Young

Hoss you can’t do that crossed up. I have to shoot a pistol weekly or sometimes more to stay on top of my shooting. If I don’t I don’t get paid. Do the kid a favor and switch him up
Old 09-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #24
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Thanks for the replies. He plays tennis for the school and holds the racket with his right hand. Playing other sports with friends and family, he throws and bats right handed. His older brother is left handed, so I'm not opposed to letting him shoot a bow or do anything left handed. He doesn't have a problem closing either eye independently, and now, he's probably coordinated enough to shoot either handed. Think I'll let him give lefty a shot, I just wasn't sure how it would be for him since he's comfortable with the right handed setup. Teacher might not give him the option.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #25
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
I am right handed and right eye dominant. But an interesting fact about eye dominance, particularly in women, is it can change. For about 3 years, I became co-dominant.
This is good info. I am co-dominant. For years I shot with my left eye shut. But I figured out that didnít work in a dark blind so I started practicing with both eyes open. I can make either the pin or the target in focus but not both. I just got used to it and much prefer both eyes open now. A larger peep helped a lot.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #26
asu-indian
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

Wow some of the responses. You can't shoot right handed with both eyes open if you are left eye dominant. Why do you think so many people close their left eye when shooting?

Yes it is better to keep both eyes open when shooting a shotgun. But, if you are right handed and left eye dominant, you have two choices. 1) squint or close your left eye. 2) learn to shoot left handed.
asu-indian is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #27
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

As a kid(5 years old) I could not hold my brothers daisy pump BB gun in my left hand so I held it in my right hand. Self taught shooting left handed and thus grew up left eye dominant shooting a rifle left handed...but everything else right handed.

I shoot a bow(compound) right handed(close left eye) and shoot handguns with right hand and use left eye.

tough call ... if he is "right handed" it may be difficult to shoot left handed. But it is worth a shot.

I would tell the teacher that he already shoots right handed...just to have all the info out there.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #28
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people
Default Right handed, left eye dominant archery?

Iím right handed, left eye dominant and I canít close one eye. I wear an eyepatch to shoot.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #29
Danimal14
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere freinds will take me and granger phl

Right handed and left eye dominant...I learned to shoot left handed with bow and rifle
Interesting I have a buddy that is equal dominance...heís a lefty

Danimal14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #30
BW412
Eight Point

I teach NASP through my PE class. I always have the right handed kids who are left eye dominate start with a left handed bow. After a little while I will let them try the right handed bow. They almost always go back to the left handed.
BW412 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 02:03 AM   #31
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

You will be doing him a favor by letting him shoot left handed

Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 03:40 AM   #32
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

Just go left handed. I fought it for years and made the switch to a left handed bow about 4-5 years ago. It was awkward at first but I’m shooting much better now.
2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 04:44 AM   #33
MisterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I agree with left eyed , left hand bow or gun. His being young will help him adjust quicker. Once he gets used to it he will thank you later. “Go with the flow and worry no mo.”
MisterB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 05:44 AM   #34
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

I left eye right hand and with my bow but left hand with a rifle. I do ok but I can't see the target as good as I could when I was younger.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #35
darralld
Eight Point

Let him shoot left. I am right eye dominate. Shot right handed for 25 years. I developed target panic so I switched to left handed. Took no time to pick it up. Will be better for him to shoot with his dominate eye. That's the only issue I have switching to left. Can't shoot with both eyes open.
darralld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #36
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Let him shoot left.

I am right handed, left eye dominant, and left footed, so generally all effed up. I came to bow hunting later (36 or so) and had struggled with consistency for years with a shotgun shooting right handed.

Anyway, when I bought my first bow, the guy in the bow shop told me to get a lefty bow so I went with it and it has worked great.
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #37
Hi-Lonesome
Four Point

Hunt In: Miami, Mobeetie, Wheeler TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBow25 View Post
Im right handed but left eye dominant. shoot bow and rifle left handed
Ditto.
Hi-Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #38
Axe Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County

My son is right handed left eye dominant. He shoots a gun and bow left handed.
Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #39
CAP
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
Wow some of the responses. You can't shoot right handed with both eyes open if you are left eye dominant. Why do you think so many people close their left eye when shooting?

Yes it is better to keep both eyes open when shooting a shotgun. But, if you are right handed and left eye dominant, you have two choices. 1) squint or close your left eye. 2) learn to shoot left handed.
Correct.

I'm someone who realized I was cross eye dominant as an adult (left eye dominant, right handed) and it's too late for me to learn to shoot left handed so I have to close my left eye. Luckily with a bow you have a peep sight. It's much harder with a shotgun.
CAP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #40
Deerguy
Eight Point

I am left eye dominant. I write and shoot shotguns and rifles left-handed. But, I eat, throw, bowl, and shoot a bow and pistol right-handed. All of the above is very awkward and pretty much impossible with the other hand. Just let him the kiddos do what comes natural. I'm a better shot than most and am glad nobody 'taught' (i.e. forced) me to do things different.
Deerguy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #41
HouCav
Four Point

Hunt In: La Salle County whenever I'm allowed

I'm left eye and hand dominant. Grew up playing baseball left handed but golf and all shooting right handed. Handgun coach convinced me to shoot left handed a couple of years ago and was instantly better.

Decided to switch to a left handed bow this year. Haven't hunted yet, but my groups are good. It felt comfortable immediately, and I feel like I see the target better. Your son probably already has a sense for what he's most comfortable with if he's already started shooting at school. I suspect your local bow shop will let him shoot a lefty bow some to see if he just hates it before you make an investment.
HouCav is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #42
Troutamer
Four Point

Let him shoot which ever one is more comfortable and shoot with both eyes open
Troutamer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #43
12ring
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, OK, KS.

I've been "legally blind" in my right eye since birth. But, I'm naturally right handed.

Started shooting b.b. guns left handed when I was 3 or 4. Didn't get coached that way, just figgered I could see the sights better I guess, lol.

I've always shot long guns and bows LH. Pistols I shoot RH.

Seems to work.
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #44
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW412 View Post
I teach NASP through my PE class. I always have the right handed kids who are left eye dominate start with a left handed bow. After a little while I will let them try the right handed bow. They almost always go back to the left handed.
THIS^^^^^

I coach NASP and USA Archery and this is the preferred method for beginners.
Start em on their dominant eye so they can shoot with the benefit of both eyes open.

If they struggle with a LH bow, then obviously let em switch and try a right handed.

I am right handed, left eye dominant, but I'm somewhat cross-dominant, so I either wear a patch or wink.
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #45
7sdad
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camouflage

I have this same problem but didn't know it until I was shooting a shotgun and my buddy said I could shoot better if I opened both eyes. Boy was he wrong, I couldn't hit anything with both eyes open. But after 45 years of archery it would be hard for me to change.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #46
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas, in your stand when you aint there :)

is it incorrect to shoot anything with both eyes open? I also don't know which eye I'm dominant with, but I am right handed and shoot all weapons with both eyes open...

maybe i've been doing it wrong this whole time...
JTRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #47
7sdad
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camouflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRichardson View Post
is it incorrect to shoot anything with both eyes open? I also don't know which eye I'm dominant with, but I am right handed and shoot all weapons with both eyes open...

maybe i've been doing it wrong this whole time...
From what I understand both open is the best or correct way.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #48
3whunt
Four Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

My son is right handed and left eye dominant. Caught it when he was five. He shoots left handed now. Can’t hit a baseball left handed though. Weird how things work out.
3whunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #49
Wylde E
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

I am right handed left eye dominant. I close my left eye for rifle and archery. I spent 6 years in the marines and did some training with a green beret with the same issue. He showed me to shoot a handgun with both eyes open. You need to keep both eyes open for close quarters combat to not allow yourself to get tunnel vision.
Wylde E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top