Ready for Iceland!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready for Iceland!

The wife and I are headed to Iceland this Friday for 2 weeks. We’re renting a camper suv and driving the ring road. Can’t wait!

Anybody been and have recommendations for things to see off the beaten path?
    Last edited by BigRed323; 09-17-2019, 11:56 AM.

Epic trip. Take lots of photos!

Comment

Go Fishing!

Comment

In. This sounds epic.

Comment

Please go fly fishing and take pics!! I’m dying to fish out there for a week or two

Comment

That is on our list. Can't wait to see the photos.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of rain on the forecast so may make some places inaccessible but should still be awesome!

Definitely going to try and fish a day while I’m there. We don’t have any plans set in stone, just going to show up and hit the road.

Comment

We are leaving for there this Thursday. We are going to be there for 10 days, Driving and staying in hotels. We are too old to do the camping thing.

Comment

Well so far we’re off to a hiccup. Major delay due to Houston flooding. We were supposed to get there Saturday morning, but now won’t make it till Sunday. At least we’ll have a 24 hour layover in Toronto now and we can see another city along the way.

Comment

you will love it been there twice and will go again.

Comment

how cool is that!
                      post up later - we want to know about it

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                        The wife and I are headed to Iceland this Friday for 2 weeks. We’re renting a camper suv and driving the ring road. Can’t wait!

Anybody been and have recommendations for things to see off the beaten path?
                        You are going to have soooooo much fun!!!

Hunter and I went to Iceland in May/June. It was such an amazing trip! I am ready to go back because we did not get to do a lot of the things up North because they had an ice storm come in and part of Ring Road and the road to Seydisfjordur was iced over and only passable with one of the large 4x4 jeeps. I really wanted to see the church with the rainbow path.

Iceland is also a lot like Texas, just because it is raining one hour, does not mean it will be the next. Make sure you have a "good" raincoat that is also windproof. You will need it everywhere. Most everything you do in Iceland will be wet and/or windy. We were lucky and the weather was very nice most of the time.

Our favorite thing was ziplining in Vik. It was a great hike getting to the different lines and we zipped over waterfalls, canyons, etc. There are many things to do in the south. The day we went to Vik, we also visited Dyrholaey, Reynisdrangar and Reynisfjara. We ATVed out to the DC plane crash on the black beach. The ATV tour was lots of fun because Hunter and I were the only ones on it. We were able to run through some rivers and the hills. Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss are both nearby. You can get some really great pictures at Seljalandsfoss at sunset. We did not go to Skogafoss because it requires ISK and we did not exchange any currency at the airport. I wish we had because there were times that it was needed. Many bathrooms require payment. Eyjafjallajokull Volcano is nearby, but requires a high lifted 4x4 jeep, so we were not able to do that.

One of the other off beaten path things that we did was go to Vestmannaeyjar. The ferry ride over is really neat and has a cafeteria on board. You will need to book the ferry ahead of time online HERE. It seems to fill up fast, but there are several ferry rides over and back daily. The water is absolutely beautiful there. There are puffin tours, volcanoes, the windiest place in Europe and there is also a golf course.

Hunter and I also did the Inside the Volcano Tour at Thrihnukagigur . It is expensive, but well worth it. It is a 45 minute hike to the volcano and back. It is the only place on earth that you can go into a magma chamber. You are lowered into the volcano on a lift. After the tour they serve traditional Icelandic lamb stew to warm up before the hike back.

Take time to hike to Reykjadalur Hot Springs. It is 3 km in and out. It is a thermal river that you can bathe in at the end. The hike is absolutely beautiful itself. We went in at 11:00 pm and made it back out about 2:30 am. We were there right before midnight sun and had 18-19 hours of daylight.

We stayed on an Icelandic farm in Hvolsvöllur. There was a back road that lead out of town and every evening we would take that road and found some real hidden gems without any tourists at all. We were the only ones at Gluggafoss and really got to enjoy it. It is another fall that you can go behind. We also explored a cave and found another waterfall in a park. It took me a while to learn that roads with cattle/sheep guards at the entrance are still public roadways.

I hope y'all have a super fun and safe trip! The views are absolutely breathtaking and it is an experience of a life time!

Comment

You will have a great time! Wife and I did this 5 years ago. Birding is spectacular along with the scenery. Take a horse excursion somewhere, those Icelandic horses have amazing gambits you can ride comfortably for hours and see some great sights! And of course there is the Penis Museum in Reykjavik! Watch the wind on the vehicle doors, it can rip them off. Have fun and safe travels!

Comment

Working...
                          X