Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

City of Tomball should be ashamed of themselves!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
    Tomball and Magnolia got slammed this morning....Magnolia got 3.5 inches in 2 hours

No reason an established city shouldn’t be able to manage 3.5” in 2hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
      Tomball flooding is about to get worse. We just got word the city approved a 400 house development in the Holderieth, HK, 2920, persimmon area. What are they thinking?

That does not even include the large commercial lot on HK just south of 2920 that is still for sale. That will be developed someday too.

And they're developing on Spell and Holderieth.

That’s my point. No reason that development should continue when we can’t currently manage 3.5” in 2hrs

Comment

I know nothing of the City of Tomball or their engineering department so I cant comment. What I did notice and found odd was everyone of those house was built below the road. That may be the norm around Tomball but usually the house is built on higher ground than street.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
          I know nothing of the City of Tomball or their engineering department so I cant comment. What I did notice and found odd was everyone of those house was built below the road. That may be the norm around Tomball but usually the house is built on higher ground than street.
          I guarantee you those houses were built long before Tomball became another extension of Houston (i.e. unrestricted building anywhere and everywhere) so flooding like this wasn't an issue. New homes are built up higher though.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            I guarantee you those houses were built long before Tomball became another extension of Houston (i.e. unrestricted building anywhere and everywhere) so flooding like this wasn't an issue. New homes are built up higher though.

Let’s say this is the case. What happens? The city continues to develop, and create more and more problems? A very large area is effected by this.

Comment

Don’t count on the city doing anything! I lived in the city limits of Katy from 1981 to 2018. When I bought a new house in 1981 there was no mention of flood plain. As far as I know there was no city ordanance covering the slab elevation with respect to the crown in the street. Until the Tax Day flood in 2016 we were never at risk. We got 6” from the Tax Day flood followed by 14” during Harvey. A little research online reveals that a 1983 engineering study advised the city that the west part of Katy was at risk to flood. Another study in 1996 presented 14 options to deal with the drainage in the city. Option 14 was to do nothing. Guess which one was adopted. In the interim there was a slab elevation ordanance adopted and revised twice to continually raise the slab elevation on new development. This causes the older developments to be at the bottom of the bowl. So when you get rains like were experienced by Tomball and Magnolia this morning, water accumulates in the older neighborhoods first. Additionally, the areas of the newer developments are no longer available to absorb the run off because they have been elevated per the new requirements.

Couple this with the fact that our drainage is managed in a fashion similar to the levee boards in New Orleans. In Katy the city controlled drainage within their jurisdiction. Outside of that there was the Katy Brookshire Drainage District, Harris County, Waller County, Ft. Bend County, and probably several I have overlooked that manage drainage, all acting independently and in their own best interest. All this is to say fixing drainage issues is not a local issue and until there is some coordination at the state level it will never change.

Comment

Sounds like every growing city in Texas right now.
                Last edited by dgilbert; 06-24-2019, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I went to pick up 2 processed hogs at Fishers and traveling back to I-10 on 99 to get back to Luling, I didn't realize how flat the land in that area is. 99 is elevated for most of that drive.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                    Yeah I drive down Holderreith from 249 daily. The road floods with an inch of rain. Hufsmith Kohrville, where our office is located, isn't much better. If we're not careful or paying attention to the rain, we could easily get flooded in.
                    I live off Huffsmith Kohrville and Boudreaux -- there was water covering the road this morning on my way to work causing all sorts of madness during the commute.

I'm not sure how the AF Global shop down the road by the tracks doesn't turn into a small lake every time we have one of these storms

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      I understand they were built long ago but they were still built below the road. When that subdivision was built it caused and pushed more runoff onto its immediate neighbors as do all new subdivisions and construction. When you live in an area of flat ground around the gulf there is only so much you can do. I am not saying that the City of Tomball is not partially or fully responsible as I do not know enough about the situation. I do know if you build a home below the street level you have a good chance to collect water from time to time.

Comment

I understand your frustration but at the same time don’t feel sorry for you. It rained pretty **** hard in a short amount of time. That stuff happens.

Comment

I've lived in the Tomball area since the 60's, and flooding like that has always happened with a quick few inches. Used to love it when I was a kid because you could wade around and catch crawdads in the yard.

No doubt the whole area is being developed way to fast for the infrastructure though.

Comment

I work on the west end of Boudreaux in between 249 and Telge, every time it rains we have to add 10 minutes to the drive because of the flooding on that part of the road. It’s a pain in the *** but that’s when driving on 35” tires is really nice. I don’t know how our shop didn’t flood during Harvey

Comment

Water tops Stuebner Airline W just north of 2920 all the time. I’m not sure how the nice houses along there aren’t flooding each time.

Comment

2920 West of 249 at the curve by Castillo grass, floods all the time and road gets blocked like yesterday....
                                You would think they would do something about that by now....the barrels have been staged there for awhile now....

Comment

Working...
                                X