No announcement yet.

Shipping container taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It bothers me to pay rent (property tax) on this house and 11 acres I bought. Even if I paid it off tomorrow my tenant would be over $1500 a month. Makes me boil

Comment

I found out about our county doing flyovers about 3 years ago when the tried to deny my ag exemption. My cows happen to be in a wooded area on my place when they flew over, so I invited them out to look from ground level. They said that wasn’t necessary and did allow my exemption.

Comment

I want to say most containers come in standard sizes that would make it pretty easy to measure remotely.

I have heard about them flying properties with drones, or getting programs like a google earth to scan for changes year to year. I have a 20' container on my property for about 5 years and no one said anything. In the process of building a cabin, and just dug a well. So I know that I will have people poking around soon.

3 weeks seems awful fast to find, identify and then bill you on a container though.

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
          it's all satellite images they use , we have no privacy at all anymore , I think we need to start camouflaging everything like they did in WW2 LOL
          Dont think I have not thought about this if/when I get one.

Our taxes went up 21% this year. They said it was due to our concrete slab and barn. Went to argue that the slab was from a house that burnt to the ground and the 'barn' they speak of was essentially an RV cover. They reduced it a bit but not much.

What they didnt tax was the two morgan type buildings. One is a kitchen with water, lights and sewer and the other a cabin with electricity

Comment

Move it off the property and invite them on out.

Comment

I had a off grid cabin in a wooded property for over two decades they never knew was there. When the great drought hit east Texas we had to cut down two big trees with limbs covering the the roof line resulting in them discovering and taxing it.
              Last edited by Tbar; 12-05-2018, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Just what I was thinking. Then bring it back as soon as they leave.
                Originally posted by mchildress View Post
                Move it off the property and invite them on out.
                Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

When I bought my 55 acres, I had a 12x24 Tuff Shed built. Got the tax notice a few weeks later. They way over taxed it. Had to send them the receipt and pics of the interior. Thankfully, I took pics as soon as it was built and bare walled...cuz when I got the taxes, I had started finishing it out.

Comment

Or maybe throw some axles under it and tell them its a trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by mchildress View Post
                      Or maybe throw some axles under it and tell them its a trailer.
                      Just put some spare tires next to and take a pic and send it to them!

Comment

If you don't let them come measure it and look, they will sent you an outrageous estimate. Got my attention when they did that to me. The old Beatles song "Tax Man" is coming true.

Comment

I see both sides of the argument. You can build an extremely high end home with shipping containers these days, so clearly just the fact that it's a shipping container should mean it's automatically tax free. If you've stacked 8 of them together and redid all the interior and plumbed and ran electricity, you've basically got a house. It should be taxed as such.

If it's truly just a shipping container, 1.5% of 2000 isn't much money to worry about, even if they tax it.

Comment

The worst they could do is tax as “outdoor covered” right? Like an attached patio.

Comment

Originally posted by RBSOLD View Post
                              The worst they could do is tax as “outdoor covered” right? Like an attached patio.
                              My home had a side patio area. It was just concrete and nothing above it. We enclosed it and made it part of our home...taxes did not increase. We were already paying taxes on the concrete and the city/county was charging us for it.

Comment

My 20' container was taxed in Foard County as a farm shed. Additional tax was less than $20 a year.

Comment

Working...
                                X