Garbage Can Watermelons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garbage Can Watermelons

Gonna give this a try. 32 gallon trash can. Watermelon seedling. Master Blend fertilizer hydroponic mix. All details are in the description and video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn16CBk9288"]Garbage Can Watermelons: Hydroponic Growing in the Backyard - YouTube[/ame]

I'll post some updates later if this thing takes off.

You and Mary are amassing quite the garden brother!

Comment

Dang it I'm going to have to try that. Where did you get the watermelon plant? Yalls stuff is looking good!

Comment

Watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Chew. I have a serious question. I have a 55gal barrel I’m itching to use. What will work other than watermelon and cucumbers? I already have cucumbers and I don’t trust the yard guys not to mow my watermelons. You think peppers would work?

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
            Chew. I have a serious question. I have a 55gal barrel I’m itching to use. What will work other than watermelon and cucumbers? I already have cucumbers and I don’t trust the yard guys not to mow my watermelons. You think peppers would work?

You can do peppers in a smaller container. I'm thinking the barrels work best for anything on a Vine that drinks a lot of water. I'm still new at this but will do some searching.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
              Dang it I'm going to have to try that. Where did you get the watermelon plant? Yalls stuff is looking good!
              Mary planted it with seeds. We have some extras that are ready. Come get them!

Comment

Also where did you get the nutrients chew??

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                  Also where did you get the nutrients chew??

Buy the Epsom salt anywhere.

Comment

Ok got it all ordered. Picked up my barrel today. What watermelons did you plant?

Comment

Why not a five gallon bucket vs 55 gallon ? Seems like a lot of water just sitting, but I am certainly no expert. Just curious on why you went with such a large container.

Thanks

Comment

Itll work, just watch for squash borer. All my squash/vines except my grapes were ruined by squash borer.

Comment

Enough water and fertilizer to last through the growing season. If you refill over the roots you could drown the plants

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            Enough water and fertilizer to last through the growing season. If you refill over the roots you could drown the plants
                            So you never fill the trashcan back up? I am guessing that the roots grow down into the water as needed and just keeps growing as the water line lowers?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                              So you never fill the trashcan back up? I am guessing that the roots grow down into the water as needed and just keeps growing as the water line lowers?
                              Exactly. They keep growing downward. Maintaining the proper length as the water level goes down.

Comment

Working...
                              X