No announcement yet.

Employee "Stole" From Me: What to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caring makes you vulnerable; human. Gotta still be human. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    Cut the loss.
    Let this person never enter into your circle of trust.
    The difficult side to this?
    You have to let others into your circle of trust... until the first betrayal.
    Cycle repeats.

Comment

Sounds like you paid him severance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        Ahhh, man...it happens. You did a good deed and got burned for it. Don't let it stop you from helping out your people in the future. I'd write it off....unless I saw him somewhere.

It can and certainly does happen. I have a couple now that could leave me high a dry but it’s a gamble that I believe has yielded me a more loyal workforce which has resulted in less employee turnover.

Comment

I can't count how many times I've been screwed over by people that I employed, but treated like family:

One longtime employee charged thousands of dollars of gas in his wife's car. When we caught it, went back and looked and it had been going on for months. Had several people charge personal stuff on their company credit cards.

Had a project manager buy about $100k worth of dirt from a new company we'd never dealt with before. There was only about $80k in the bid so it threw up a red flag. When I got nosy and had somebody check his company truck we found a check stub from that company made out to him for $9,000. When I fired him, his wife trashed me on Facebook for firing her "loyal" husband. Of course she didn't know why he'd been fired.

Helped pay for a guy's mom's funeral....TWICE. He forgot that he'd already used that one. I still chipped in.

I've got so many more that aren't worth mentioning and I'm sure a bunch that have slipped my mind. There are some crappy people out there.

When you care about your people, it makes you a little vulnerable. That's OK. I'd rather feel good about who I am. You would too.
          Any way to make it more like a loan? As in any type of document or something that if they disappear they are required to repay the money?

Comment

No good deed goes unpunished.

Just remember when you are there for someone, you can bet they will be there next time they need something again

You did right. Let it go, and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
              Any way to make it more like a loan? As in any type of document or something that if they disappear they are required to repay the money?
              I try to never loan more than a weeks pay (though I break that rule often enough). I have them sign a loan agreement that lays out the terms and their willingness to have their paycheck used to cover their debt if they leave. I pay this week for work performed last week. So if someone quits me they still have a paycheck from the previous week coming. If they owe me money then they forfeit that last check. It's worked well and I can only recall a few times where I didn't get paid back, even by someone that quit.

Comment

I can't count how many times I've been screwed over by people that I employed, but treated like family:

One longtime employee charged thousands of dollars of gas in his wife's car. When we caught it, went back and looked and it had been going on for months. Had several people charge personal stuff on their company credit cards.

Had a project manager buy about $100k worth of dirt from a new company we'd never dealt with before. There was only about $80k in the bid so it threw up a red flag. When I got nosy and had somebody check his company truck we found a check stub from that company made out to him for $9,000. When I fired him, his wife trashed me on Facebook for firing her "loyal" husband. Of course she didn't know why he'd been fired.

Helped pay for a guy's mom's funeral....TWICE. He forgot that he'd already used that one. I still chipped in.

I've got so many more that aren't worth mentioning and I'm sure a bunch that have slipped my mind. There are some crappy people out there.

When you care about your people, it makes you a little vulnerable. That's OK. I'd rather feel good about who I am. You would too.

I try to never loan more than a weeks pay (though I break that rule often enough). I have them sign a loan agreement that lays out the terms and their willingness to have their paycheck used to cover their debt if they leave. I pay this week for work performed last week. So if someone quits me they still have a paycheck from the previous week coming. If they owe me money then they forfeit that last check. It's worked well and I can only recall a few times where I didn't get paid back, even by someone that quit.

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                It can and certainly does happen. I have a couple now that could leave me high a dry but it’s a gamble that I believe has yielded me a more loyal workforce which has resulted in less employee turnover.

I believe it’s the thing to do within reason. I care about my people. If I can make a difference in their lives, I try to do so. If they can’t pay it back, or won’t...that’s on them and I can sleep at night.

I’m glad you two chimed in.

I do it when I probably shouldn’t, never been bit to bad. I think it has built more good will, than the dollar amount it’s cost me over the years. I insist they not discus agreements with other employees, and we sign an agreement. I probably wouldn’t go after them for it if they didn’t pay up, and we pay kind of like Curt does. I’ve given some their last checks anyway.

My dad told me a long time ago “never loan money you can’t afford not to get back”.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Dale Moser; 05-21-2019, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I also have a parking lot full of trucks every day that I sold and financed, really cheap to employees after we were done with the trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This and a signed authorization to deduct a specified amount from each paycheck until paid off.

Comment

I have done the same thing several times and will probably do again, but yes The Good Guy Always Gets **** On. Good luck

Comment

I gave a employee a credit card for travel expenses and emergencies and some cash advances
                        one day noticed we had a lot of emergencies at a local convince store on days that he was traveling with me , so I cut the limit way down then didn’t pay it , about a week later his company cell rang repeatedly and he wouldn’t answer it after checking the number while I was in the truck
                        When he got out to open the gate , I grabbed the phone and saw it was his 15 year old daughter and called her back she said she needed to know when we were coming back to town because she was out of diapers and baby formula and HER credit card was being declined! He tried to lay the blame on one of her friends so I asked him how many of her friends needed diapers and baby formula . Same girl called my mom to see if she could babysit for her so she could go to a concert , and then never showed up for two weeks to pick up the kid, the concert was in Portland Oregon, guess who had to pay for a new child safety seat and more baby food and clothing and hear every day what a horrible mom the girl was ? Lesson learnt never employ a relative or loan them any money

Comment

You did the right thing. Don't spend much time being mad, it will negatively effect your work.

Not to pour salt in your wound, but he will probably file an unemployment claim that you will need to deal with.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it too much. People in general are shady to say the least.

I dont own a company but in the last few months can think of 2 or 3 times grown men ( 40-50 years old) have quit showing up to work. They wont answer the phone or respond to text. Drives me crazy to say the least. If this job isn't for you, that's ok, but be a man and quit the right way. If they owe any debt to the company, we deduct it from their last check.

Comment

Owning a construction based business was the worse...new guy would show up Monday, work hard and then some sob story about hard times and promise to bust tail so you pay him in advance fpr the week and never see him again. I made a rule to only give a guy a couple hundred cash tops, if they came back fine, if not fine. Move on.

Comment

I was wondering if you could let me hold a couple hundred until Monday.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X