Snake I.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake I.D.

These are some you don't see a lot of on here. Obviously they're rattlesnakes but what kind?
    Attached Files

Massasauga rattlesnakes?

Comment

Prairie

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
        Prairie
        That was my first thought.

Comment

Prairie

Comment

So far everyone is right. There's actually two species of rattlesnakes in that bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              So far everyone is right. There's actually two species of rattlesnakes in that bucket.

2 Massasaugas and 1 prairie?

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                2 Massasaugas and 1 prairie?
                Yep. There actually was supposed to be 2 and 2 but the big Massasauga killed one of the Prairies. He bit it and I guess hit something pretty important. The next time I opened the lid the bigger Prairie I had in there was dead as a doornail.
                Last edited by okrattler; 05-10-2019, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  Yep. There actually was supposed to be 2 and 2 but the big Massasauga killed one of the Prairies.

****! Learn something new everyday thanks to you and Thumper!

Thank you for posting.

Comment

I've always thought Massasaugas were pretty cool. I really don't see too many of them but they look enough like a Prairie I figured I'd show y'all the difference. The Massasaugas also have black speckles on their belly which a Prairie doesn't have.

Comment

That bigger Massasauga is actually pretty good sized. They don't get near as long as Prairie Rattlesnakes do. The biggest Western Massasauga I've seen was somewhere around 30". Which is huge for them really.

Comment

How can you tell, they look as though they are the same species to me ? Not that I am questioning you, I just like to know about wildlife as much as I possibly can.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                          How can you tell, they look as though they are the same species to me ? Not that I am questioning you, I just like to know about wildlife as much as I possibly can.
                          The easiest way for me to tell it's a Massasauga is by the patterns on the tail,also the bars that run along the side of its head are dark black a lot of times,small rattles in comparison to a Prairie and they have 9 enlarged scales on their head where others don't. Also a Massasaugas side blotches are different from a Prairie Rattlesnakes. Most people aren't going to get close enough to notice those last two differences. I'm sure Massasaugas get mistaken for Prairie Rattlesnakes quite a bit. I can just tell by the way they're laying if they're stretched out on the road which one is which.

One snake that I think looks the most like a Massasauga is a Western Hognose Snake. Especially if you see one on the road and pass by it. They look very similar.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 05-11-2019, 12:52 AM.

Comment

I used to catch a lot of the Prairie Rattlers in Colorado, they would be on the gravel roads and had a migration path near where I lived so we saw a lot of them.

Comment

I would call them Lucky Because they would be dead snakes if I would have found them.

Comment

Working...
                              X