No announcement yet.

Stocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y'all have piqued my interest. I have one question, though. I have an account with Fidelity, but it cautioned me heavily before looking into USO. Is there something specific that I need to know about USO that's different from any other stock, like AAL and such?

I had to review a Designated Investments Agreement before it would let me do anything. And yes, I'm not a "sophisticated investor"...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
      Y'all have piqued my interest. I have one question, though. I have an account with Fidelity, but it cautioned me heavily before looking into USO. Is there something specific that I need to know about USO that's different from any other stock, like AAL and such?

I had to review a Designated Investments Agreement before it would let me do anything. And yes, I'm not a "sophisticated investor"...

To address your question, YES! There are considerable differences, and many people buy it with no clue as to what they own. Don’t be one of those.

I can’t and won’t give investment advice on an Internet forum, but I strongly urge you to do your research and make sure you understand what it is. It is NOT a company like American Airlines. Good luck!

Comment

Bought MPC at 17 and change. Now over $30. And, paying dividends.

Comment

Bought some SPY and QQQ puts for mid May this afternoon....

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

To address your question, YES! There are considerable differences, and many people buy it with no clue as to what they own. Don’t be one of those.

I can’t and won’t give investment advice on an Internet forum, but I strongly urge you to do your research and make sure you understand what it is. It is NOT a company like American Airlines. Good luck!
            Thanks. I'm not trying to act like I know what I'm doing, but I'd like to know a little more...hence the question. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
              Crestwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              this was a consistent performer for me up until last year. Relatively high dividends to boot!

Comment

HAL, COP, and MRO are doing pretty good but I'm new to all this trading stuff.

Comment

Stng

Comment

Out of curiosity, how long do you hold a stock that is not performing well? As an example, I bought CRON a couple years ago at $7.37 and it shot up to over $25, (I know, I should've sold it then), before declining for the last year. Now it is down to $5.94. I'm not sure if I should dump it and take the loss or hold on to it for a while longer. I have a couple others that fluctuate.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what you guys do in situations like this. It seems like most of you are a lot more active, monitoring, buying, selling, than what I am.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                      Out of curiosity, how long do you hold a stock that is not performing well? As an example, I bought CRON a couple years ago at $7.37 and it shot up to over $25, (I know, I should've sold it then), before declining for the last year. Now it is down to $5.94. I'm not sure if I should dump it and take the loss or hold on to it for a while longer. I have a couple others that fluctuate.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what you guys do in situations like this. It seems like most of you are a lot more active, monitoring, buying, selling, than what I am.
                      What was the reason for buying this company in the first place? Has that rationale changed? How are the fundamentals of the company? The industry? Are they growing revenues and profits? Cash flow? Likelihood of continued earnings increases? Producing products or services that people want or need? How is the balance sheet? Leveraged? Company management?

These questions are important when INVESTING in a company. What has changed from when you bought it?

Gambling by blindly buying a stock is different. There are lots of things to consider when buying a COMPANY.

Comment

I've got some Dow Inc. Was in the mid 40s before this mess. Hit the low 20's and is now in the mid 30's. Put a few $ in @ low 30's and expect it to get back up into the mid 40's again soon. Did the same during the 2008 slump. Made a few $ in my 401K.
                        Last edited by locolobo; 04-30-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

What was the reason for buying this company in the first place? Has that rationale changed? How are the fundamentals of the company? The industry? Are they growing revenues and profits? Cash flow? Likelihood of continued earnings increases? Producing products or services that people want or need? How is the balance sheet? Leveraged? Company management?

These questions are important when INVESTING in a company. What has changed from when you bought it?

Gambling by blindly buying a stock is different. There are lots of things to consider when buying a COMPANY.
                          You just answered my question with 12 questions! Twelve!! Maybe I should have been more vague in my question. I guess I opened myself up for an interrogation.

I'm going to try to answer 12 questions in a few sentences. I am not a stockaholic!! I don't go through the 12 step program you outlined above!! I usually buy stocks on a whim. I do a little bit of research and decide if I want to but a stock. If it looks good to me I might buy it. I tend to hold on to the stocks I buy because, well, I don't pay close enough attention to the market or the individual stocks. Sometimes my dabbling works out and sometimes it doesn't.

Comment

This. Dont randomly guess like you're in Vegas. Have a plan. Double check the plan. Triple check the plan. Ask the GS for their best advice then stick to the plan. If the stock fits your plan criteria, and is still performing according to your criteria, then evaluate it by your rules.

Dont do anything until you know your rules, and be sure about your rules. Write them down if you have to.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                              You just answered my question with 12 questions! Twelve!! Maybe I should have been more vague in my question. I guess I opened myself up for an interrogation.

I'm going to try to answer 12 questions in a few sentences. I am not a stockaholic!! I don't go through the 12 step program you outlined above!! I usually buy stocks on a whim. I do a little bit of research and decide if I want to but a stock. If it looks good to me I might buy it. I tend to hold on to the stocks I buy because, well, I don't pay close enough attention to the market or the individual stocks. Sometimes my dabbling works out and sometimes it doesn't.
                              That is a good way to lose money. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                                That is a good way to lose money. Lol.
                                Exactly why I'm not heavily invested in stocks.

Comment

Working...
                                X