Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What am I doing wrong????(stainless hardware)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are multiple reasons you could be having that problem. I used stainless fasteners all the time. If they are good quality fasteners, I usually don't have any problems with them. Chinese stuff, you will be very lucky, if you don't have problems with them. More so if they are Chinese made, with standard threads. The Chinese, don't have a lot of problem with metric sizes and metric threads, but when they try to convert to standard or SAE sizes, they don't come out right. The thread pitch will always be wrong. They seem to try and use a metric thread pitch that is close to SAE thread pitch and call it good. This problem exists with any Chinese fasteners, the exact problems vary from source to source. When they make stainless fasteners, thing can get very bad.

Even with US made stainless fasteners, you should never use air tools, the speed creates heat, which can cause galling. Of US fasteners or European stuff, there are various levels of quality, some will still have a high possibility of galling, the best stuff, is noticeably better, much less problems. If you are using some of the lower quality stuff, go slow and use some form of lube on the threads.

Also if you are using nuts from one source and bolts from another, and one source happens to be Chinese, you most likely won't have the same thread pitch for both fasteners, if they are supposed to be standard or SAE fasteners. The all metal lock stainless lock nuts are a very high likely hood of galling, more so if Chinese. Unless they are US made aircraft fasteners or high quality US made fasteners for turbo related exhaust systems, which are probably just US made aircraft fasteners.

I would go buy a different brand of fasteners, if it was me, buy from a bolt company, if you need stainless fasteners. Then no air tools.

Comment

I started keeping a small box with toilet bowl wax in it around the shop several years ago--poke the screw into it 1/4" or wipe a small amount on the bolt threads and go to work. It has eliminated all my wallowed-out screw heads and seized up hardware.

Comment

Wd-40

Comment

Use a regular nut and put some breakaway strength loctite (the blue stuff) that nylon could be choking down a bit and causing it to bind up.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I got some new hardware and some never seize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anti seize or use a nut of different material.

Comment

Installed tonight, all went well. Thanks

Comment

Gaulded… Stainless on stainless will gauld faster than you can say don't do it..

Comment

I'll be ****ed. I learned a lot on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      Same here!

Comment

Me too. I guess I haven’t used ss fasteners as much as I thought I have!

Comment

I know! This place never seizes to amaze me! Well lubed I reckon!

Comment

Stainless is my preferred fastener material especially when exposed to the elements but anti seize and going slow is a must.

I like to use the my lock fasteners for stuff that needs to stay put as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Fasteners

Go to www.uboltit.com
                              they can help

Comment

Working...
                              X