Anyone remember “Hunting with Hank”?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone remember “Hunting with Hank”?

Maybe 30 years ago I liked watching the show Hunting with Hank. Hank was a setter bird dog and Dez Young was the hunter. Upland game birds mostly.

But what I really appreciated about the show was even if he walked miles before the opportunity presented itself to take a pheasant or a quail or whatever, he would take a moment to adore the bird that he took. The color, the location, the company, etc. it wasn’t about the numbers or the need to hurry up. Makes you realize that the beauty of the outdoors is to not be taken for granted.

Yes. Nothing better than spending the day with your dog and coming home with a pheasant or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, sir. I do remember that show. At the beginning when hunting shows were just getting started. Dogs in the field can give some very memorable moments.

Comment

Yep. I enjoyed that show. Class act host and helluva dog.

Gary

Comment

yup, great show for the day. the guy really appreciated taking the game. I really miss my shorthair and living in KS chasing pheasant and quail with her,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
            Yes, sir. I do remember that show. At the beginning when hunting shows were just getting started. Dogs in the field can give some very memorable moments.
            "When hunting shows were just getting started"? You mean back in the early 60's when the REAL hunting and fishing shows were being filmed? Kurt Gowdy, Jim Dougherty, The American Sportsmen...…...

Comment

The shows used to refrain from showing the shot impact on a big game animals. That obviously has changed lol.

Comment

Yep great show if i remember right they did several quail hunts in the pines of maybe Mississippi or Georgia? All of the shows nowadays are just about the latest and greatest gear and not really about the "hunt" and the animal. I will say a few of the African hunting shows are still decent.

And i get it that all of the money is in advertising and if it wasn't for the Sponsors there wouldn't be hunting shows but its gotten ridiculous.

Comment

I remember thinking that guy was a dork, and Hank wasn't that great a bird dog....I shouldn't be so cynical I suppose. In my defense, I was training dogs and trying to kill every bird on the planet, back then.

Comment

I do. Hank was a Llewellin Setter.

Comment

I miss the days chasing birds in Kansas as well. I’d walk all day long to see my shorthair point some birds.

Comment

Great show.

Comment

“And never spoil your birddog!”

Like Dale, I used to think he was a dork too. Still watche the show, but I thought he was a dork. Now I think he may have known the secret to life.

Comment

Originally posted by dawgkllr View Post
                            "When hunting shows were just getting started"? You mean back in the early 60's when the REAL hunting and fishing shows were being filmed? Kurt Gowdy, Jim Dougherty, The American Sportsmen...…...
                            Yes, there were OUTDOOR shows. I do not ever remember seeing a KILL on those shows or Mutual of Omaha. The kill was implied. I am 56, I watched those shows also. If you wanted to see a critter killed on film you had to buy a movie. I have seen film of Howard Hill, Ben Pearson, and Fred Bear. They filmed their exploits back in the 30's and 40's but you never saw a kill until modern hunting shows in the early 90's with paid cable channels. That is what I am referring to.

Comment

Working...
                            X