Factory PRS Rifle Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory PRS Rifle Options

Last year, I shot my first PRS style match and had a blast. Since I plan on shooting more matches this year, I’m looking at upgrading my rifle in the near future. I’m currently running a pair of Ruger American Predators in 6 Creed and 6.5 Creed that both shoot really well. The problem I run into is they are still pretty light with the Magpul stock and the barrel heats up really fast.

I’d like to get something with a heavier barrel and a more rigid stock or chassis. I’d also prefer to stick with the 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor since I’m already set for reloading those and I’m leaning towards the 6. I’ve been looking at the factory rifles below. I’d say the budget will probably be in the $800-$1200 range, but that may be flexible if it’s worth saving longer for a better option. If anyone has any input on these or others I didn’t list, I’ll appreciate any info I can get. Thanks in advance!

Ruger Precision
    Bergara HMR
    Bergara BMP
    Savage BA Stealth
    Bergara HMR Pro or LRP (have to save more, but get action and trigger upgrade)

Look at the PVA John Handcock rifle. They are a good production PRS class rifle but are above your budget. There are 2 or 3 other companies producing production legal PRS rifles also based off custom actions. Don't remember them off hand.

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
      Look at the PVA John Handcock rifle. They are a good production PRS class rifle but are above your budget. There are 2 or 3 other companies producing production legal PRS rifles also based off custom actions. Don't remember them off hand.
      Yeah I’ve seen those, but 2 grand for a rifle isn’t going to be an option anytime soon. I’d have to get real competitive in this game before I’d be able to consider something like that.

Comment

I don't shoot PRS, but have a Bergara HMR and have shot my buddies HMR in 6.5 Creed.
        Both shoot really well and the trigger in them are very good for a production rifle as well.

Comment

FWIW - My 24" heavy barrel Masterpiece Arms in .308 with a Leupold Mark 8 weighs ~ 16 pounds unloaded.

Comment

1. Tikka has a factory chassis rifle
            2. Tikka CTR and order a KRG Bravo Chassis

Comment

I don't see Tikka on your list. I believe they chamber one for 6mm creed.

Edit: I may be mistaken could not find one.
              Last edited by gfulton; 02-26-2020, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I had looked at some of the Tikkas and have shot the Tac A1, but hadn’t seen those cheaper than about $1500.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                  FWIW - My 24" heavy barrel Masterpiece Arms in .308 with a Leupold Mark 8 weighs ~ 16 pounds unloaded.
                  This is part of the reason for the upgrade, I can see my rig bouncing in videos when taking shots off of tabletops and things like that. My rifle, scope, bipod and full mag weigh just over 10 pounds. I’m sure the added weight will help a little with that. I’m definitely not opposed to a heavier gun. This one will be for target shooting and comps only.

Comment

Bergera HMR $800
                    Bergera HMR Pro $1250
                    Seekins Havak Bravo $1500
                    MPA BA PMR $1800

I listed my top choices for each price point. Those aren’t everyday prices, but wait and search prices. Not hard to do. I could find any of those rifles with 2-3 weeks for that price or better.

Comment

I’ve found the Bergaras for just about the prices you listed, which is why I think they are towards the top of my list at the moment. What’s your opinion on the two HMRs and their chassis variants? HMR vs BMP and HMR Pro vs LRP? And do you think the Pro versions are worth the extra money for what you get?

Comment

Personally I’m not a chassis fan at all, but some reason I kind of like the MPA chassis. I’ve set up a handful of Bergara Premium rifles as well as a few B-14 line. They have all shot very well, but I wasn’t a fan of he BMP chassis that sat up for a customer. If you can score the HMR Pro within your price range that would be my choice, if not you’ll be happy with the HMR. If you can up your price range a bit then the Havak Bravo is a fantastic rifle.

Comment

Howa is another option.

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                            This is part of the reason for the upgrade, I can see my rig bouncing in videos when taking shots off of tabletops and things like that. My rifle, scope, bipod and full mag weigh just over 10 pounds. I’m sure the added weight will help a little with that. I’m definitely not opposed to a heavier gun. This one will be for target shooting and comps only.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                              Without the MPA weight kit, correct? The MPA weight kit is well thought out, add weight in the front, back, or both for better handling.

I am not sure what the weight limit in PRS programs comes in at but with the weight kit and a straight 1.25 profile mine can vary from 18 to 22 ish. I have not weighed with the M24 contour and the weight kit. If you are interested I can put it on the scale.

I usually do not like chassis setups but the MPA is the exception. I wish they would not have done the 'thumbhole' look with the new one.

Comment

Working...
                              X