Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #1
TENRMORE
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere
Default 3% Lease Increase per Year

So we are in our Third year of a three year contract and the lease owner said he is going to go up 3% every year from now on. Its not that much per member but I have been on long term leases before in the hill country and never had this brought up to me. He said everything increases per year, which I agree, We have passed on some young deer, because we want to be there long term. Seems like we have a good relationship with the land owner...

Guess pay it and move on until we can't pay anymore or we think its not worth it...

Thoughts?
TENRMORE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
BernieH
Four Point

Hunt In: Mason County

I'd question the basis for 3%. I get that things escalate but it's not always a fixed percentage. I'd tie it to an actual inflation rate or GDP increase - something more reflective of real price increases.
BernieH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

At least he’s letting you know up front so you can decide what year it’s not worth it anymore.

BernieH you can question it all you want, but the landowner makes the rules. Someone will pay it.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

I would much prefer a little increase annually to no increases then one year double or triple. Seems reasonable. I would appreciate something in writing that locks in the 3% for a period of time. It would be uncool to do a 3% annually then one year it doubles.
Outback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieH View Post
I'd question the basis for 3%. I get that things escalate but it's not always a fixed percentage. I'd tie it to an actual inflation rate or GDP increase - something more reflective of real price increases.
what if that makes it more than 3%? might better decide if u can live w the increase and not give them ideas that might make it go up more....lol
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

Quote:
This made me laugh. I can see a clause like this in the lease agreement.

"Notwithstanding this Lease Agreement, the lease cost will escalate annually by the greater of 2% or the year over year moving average of the Bureau of Labor and Statistics Consumer Price Index."
Outback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

You’re fortunate that I’m not the landowner. I’d do 10% a year.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #8
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

On average over the last five years or so, 3% is a little inflated for Texas. I might counter with 2.5%. But I think his reasoning is sound. In the long run, it might even help keep someone else from scooping the lease out from under you. Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to it, assuming it's a good lease and a good landowner.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #9
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENRMORE View Post
So we are in our Third year of a three year contract and the lease owner said he is going to go up 3% every year from now on. Its not that much per member but I have been on long term leases before in the hill country and never had this brought up to me. He said everything increases per year, which I agree, We have passed on some young deer, because we want to be there long term. Seems like we have a good relationship with the land owner...

Guess pay it and move on until we can't pay anymore or we think its not worth it...

Thoughts?
That's a good and very reasonable deal if you like the lease. A lot less than actual lease increases over time is my guess.

Lock him in on the 3% and be happy about it. Then in another 1-3 years when guys offer him 30% more than you pay tell him he needs to stand by his 3% per year.

3% per year just to have peace of mind is worth it.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
what if that makes it more than 3%? might better decide if u can live w the increase and not give them ideas that might make it go up more....lol
Landowner can set rate at whatever he wants. But he can and should include this cost TBH always talks about since we're running out of hunting land..Price and demand.

The only way 3% per year is no good is if the OP is already over paying.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #11
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakelover View Post
On average over the last five years or so, 3% is a little inflated for Texas. I might counter with 2.5%. But I think his reasoning is sound. In the long run, it might even help keep someone else from scooping the lease out from under you. Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to it, assuming it's a good lease and a good landowner.
I don't think he asked for opinions or negotiations.

Feels like I'm in the twilight zone. Had to re-read thread... Was offering 2.5% a joke? If the lease is $2,000 per year that .5% would save you $10 LOL
Old 01-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #12
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat1 View Post
i don't think he asked for opinions or negotiations.

Feels like i'm in the twilight zone. Had to re-read thread... Was offering 2.5% a joke? If the lease is $2,000 per year that .5% would save you $10 lol

lmao
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #13
Yamahamma
Four Point

Hunt In: A little in Montgomery Co, A little in Webb Co.

The timber (pine) lease I'm on went up 20% this year. Has not had an increase since 2012, then this.

I'd rather gradual instead of a lump increase.

If it wasn't East Texas, I'd stay on. As it is, I'm picking up my equipment in Feb. The herd isn't that strong and I've never seen deer eat a pine cone.

On the hunt for a new place outside of East Texas.
Yamahamma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #14
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

I remember in 2015 our old landowner pulled up in the yard.I'd just bought a new powerstroke.He was looking at it,and said **** son.That's a good looking truck.Bet it cost ya' an arm,and a leg.
Listen we're gonna go up on the place this year.It jumped 33% lol.
We'd been paying the same for 16yrs though.No biggie,we payed up.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #15
Avid Hunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Ozona, Kilgore, Shamrock

Do Not Counter at 2.5% . Silly and petty. Accept it and enjoy. 3% is peanuts, especially for a proven lease.
Avid Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #16
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking….Pow Pow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
You’re fortunate that I’m not the landowner. I’d do 10% a year.
Why's that? Why not just set a price that makes you happy for the duration of the contract?
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #17
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

Fun ain't free
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #18
Turbo6
Four Point

I would love to get a long term lease with our landowner in place at a fixed 3% increase. Let's you know the cost and secures your hunting land.

I feel like we play Russian roulette every year on our spot because the land owner can randomly change the lease cost or decide to give it to another group. Makes putting a management plan together tough.
Turbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #19
RR 314
Ten Point

I would go 2.77745% per annum. . . and not a cent more. :-) Sounds reasonable to me.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #20
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

Commercially speaking rent bumps annually are commonplace. The more and more hunting leases are now going to written agreements the more and more they are becoming just like a commercial lease similar to an office building or warehouse. We typically see rent bumps in the 1.5%-3% per year in our warehouses. Its really a good way to know what you are up against vs a surprise double or more increase as others have mentioned. I would push to get a written agreement that states what is to happen and for how long, sounds like your landowner is sophisticated enough to think that way??
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #21
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Why's that? Why not just set a price that makes you happy for the duration of the contract?
Supply and demand. When you have a hot commodity maximize your profit. Lots of people looking for a lease.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #22
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

That’s $30 per $1000, not much to complain about at all
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #23
Daniel32
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Kinney County

I can see a 3% increase for a specific time period like 3-5 years and then be able to negotiate afterwards. I say this because you want this to be a long term lease.

Reasoning is a 3% increase on say a 3000 lease over 5 years takes the lease to $3,477.83 starting year 6. Depending on the lease there is going to be a certain point where the lease just isn't worth it for various reasons.

Just my .02 cents
Daniel32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #24
slayr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde County

If you’re currently paying $3000, in 10 yrs it’ll be approximately $4000. If it’s worth it to you, then roll with it. At a minimum you’d think it’d still equal the same percentage of your income (assuming you get an average of 3% increase in salary a year).
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #25
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Frio, Blanco Counties

A couple of things...

He could just play catchup in 5 years for the same dollar amount. I think that would sting more than the 3% per year.

It costs to move off a lease. If you like it, have a good landowner, be happy to secure it with those terms.

We all want annual pay raises of a minimum of 3% per year to cover "cost of living increase" but won't stand for the price of things to go up by the same amount.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #26
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

That's common in leasing. We had a 5 yr contract on our Brady lease...the increase was written in the contract. Part.of the deal man.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #27
webb09
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Ours is 5% and I don’t think twice about it. Just like previously mentioned about the proven lease and supply and demand.
webb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #28
Turbo6
Four Point

You should just get off the lease.

Please send the landowner my contact info. I am willing to pay 5%......
Turbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #29
TENRMORE
Ten Point

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas ...its worth 3% for me not to move all my stuff but I have other members to deal with. You just have to put yourself in the land owners shoes sometimes to justify the cost increase.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #30
gfulton
Eight Point

Are the deer's horns getting three percent larger every year?
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #31
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Seems fair. If it’s a good lease and good land owner I’d ask for a long term contract at that 3%
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #32
JTCowpoke
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfulton View Post
Oh boy, does your car go further on a tank of gas when they raise the price?
JTCowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #33
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
A couple of things...

He could just play catchup in 5 years for the same dollar amount. I think that would sting more than the 3% per year.

It costs to move off a lease. If you like it, have a good landowner, be happy to secure it with those terms.

We all want annual pay raises of a minimum of 3% per year to cover "cost of living increase" but won't stand for the price of things to go up by the same amount.
Yup

I'd sign that on our lease for a 10 year extension TODAY...and we've been there 25 years, havn't had an increase in several.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 01:38 PM   #34
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

Finish reading the post fella's..He said they'd pay it,til they can't afford it.He ain't bitching,just unfamiliar with it.Jesus.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #35
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Feels like I'm in the twilight zone. Had to re-read thread... Was offering 2.5% a joke? If the lease is $2,000 per year that .5% would save you $10 LOL
True enough. And I'm not saying to turn it into a deal breaker, but it never hurts to ask a simple question. Due to compounding, that half percent would make $648 difference in the total amount each member would pay over ten years and $2,986 difference over 20 years. Multiply that by 10 or 12 members and it might be worth asking, "Would you consider 2.5%?" Worst he can say is no. Or maybe hell no.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #36
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville/Refugio

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Supply and demand. When you have a hot commodity maximize your profit. Lots of people looking for a lease.
that's also an excellent way to foster long term partnerships with people who will only think of the best thing for the property year to year.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #37
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Thoughts?
Pay it or move on... pretty simple.
He could not say anything and just tell you every year what the new price is.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #38
basschump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around TX

A good working relationship with a landowner and a contract are worth their weight in gold. So much better than a huge unexpected jump (eg 25%) without expecting it. The nominal increase protects you as much as the landowner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
basschump is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #39
CrossTimbers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County

I'd counter with a CPI increase, that way it holds with actual inflation.
CrossTimbers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #40
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfulton View Post
Trick question, deer don't have horns.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #41
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

My take: Pay the 3% and be done with it. If you don't like the lease, don't. Somebody will take it at that price before you leave the property with your stuff. I wouldn't "counter" with anything. You aren't in mediation and you might just pizz the ol boy off.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #42
Hayek'sPupil
Four Point

Hunt In: Houston County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakelover View Post
"In the long run we're all dead" - John Maynard Keynes (who did not seem to mind inflating the economy)
Hayek'sPupil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #43
Hayek'sPupil
Four Point

Hunt In: Houston County

Quote:

Thoughts?
Assume, like others, its what this lease owner considers inflationary pressure. This is not the correct definition of inflation. Inflation is not simply a rise in the general price "level". Inflation is a price distortionary process brought on by the expansion of money and credit and/or government spending to stimulate the economy which serves to misallocate capital by manipulating the incentives on long and short term investments. It is not just a rise in the price level though that tends to occur down the road but not always.

https://mises.org/wire/inflation-beginners
Hayek'sPupil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #44
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

The landowner is being up front with you. That's a change from what I read on here and from what I have experienced myself. A 3% increase per year is less than what we have experienced I can tell you that. You actually have the advantage of planning into the future to the point that it will be to expensive or exceed its personal worth. If you are happy with the lease and its worth a 3% value increase per year, keep it.

Im assuming the 3 year contract was a set price?
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #45
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas ...its worth 3% for me not to move all my stuff but I have other members to deal with. You just have to put yourself in the land owners shoes sometimes to justify the cost increase.
I bet you won't have a problem filling the spots should guys decide to leave
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #46
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

Property taxes go up that much each year

Remember when one group leaves a lease the price of the next leasee is usually 15% highee
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #47
TENRMORE
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
The landowner is being up front with you. That's a change from what I read on here and from what I have experienced myself. A 3% increase per year is less than what we have experienced I can tell you that. You actually have the advantage of planning into the future to the point that it will be to expensive or exceed its personal worth. If you are happy with the lease and its worth a 3% value increase per year, keep it.

Im assuming the 3 year contract was a set price?
Set price for two years with possible 3% increase the third year...which he is going to go up the 3%. Th new contract will 3% per year but we haven't talked about years or length of contract.

Thanks again for all the advice...and being positive about most comments, I've seen these threads turn for the worse...