Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #51
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
If I am *actually* shooting 500 yds (rather than a "forum post" 500 yds), I want a 300WM or at least a hot 7mm. Personally I wouldn't shoot an animal with a 6.5 caliber bullet at that real life range, regardless of barrel length. And for a 300WM or hot 7mm, I prefer a 26" barrel.

Now, if you want a 20" "deer hunting rifle", you can't really go wrong. Anything from .243 to 7-08, and everything in between, will perform great at 20".
Gota Agree well said...once you get into them Belted and big case small bullet..Ya need barrel length to BURN POWDER...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 07:41 AM   #52
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

My brother killed a doe with a 20Ē 7-08@ 504 yards.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #53
OKFF610
Four Point

Default 20 inch barreled rifles

I currently own 3 7mm-08s, 2 308s, 2 243s and a 260 with 3 of these having 20inch barrels. Iíve owned 2 6.5 creeds, a 6mm creed and a 6.5 PRC all with standard barrels for the caliber. All 3 of which Iíve recently sold and all Iím about to replace with different rifles in the same calibers. My real reason for the post was to see who may be running something different with a shorter barrel such as a 6.5 PRC. Im wanting to build something Ďcoolí and fun to play with. Iím well aware of what the old standbys like the 308 and 7mm-08 can do out of a 20inch barrel. Iíve killed a truck load of deer with each. I like to play Ďdumbí so I can listen to all aspects and see if whoever responds knows what they are talking about and if they will offer up real world numbers rather than only opinions. I appreciate all the input on the post. I enjoy talking guns and try to learn a little from everyone because everyoneís opinions and experiences are a little different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OKFF610 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #54
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

I have a 223, 7mm08 and 308 with 20Ē barrel. No issues and they all shoot well out to 600yds.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #55
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I’m building a SwitchLug rifle now. I was planning on spinning a 25 SAUM barrel for it roughly 24-26”, but now I’m tinkering with the idea of a 20” Proof. Interested in what kind of velocities I can see with a 131 Blackjack from a 20” tube.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #56
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

All about the Remington Model 7 in .308. I have taken deer big pigs, red stag and fallow with the round. My absolute go to rifle and cartridge.
Jon B is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #57
OKFF610
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Iím building a SwitchLug rifle now. I was planning on spinning a 25 SAUM barrel for it roughly 24-26Ē, but now Iím tinkering with the idea of a 20Ē Proof. Interested in what kind of velocities I can see with a 131 Blackjack from a 20Ē tube.

I will be interested in what you get with that 20 inch barrel. Iím thinking of doing either a 25 SAUM or something similar next year.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #58
OKFF610
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
All about the Remington Model 7 in .308. I have taken deer big pigs, red stag and fallow with the round. My absolute go to rifle and cartridge.

My favorite rifle ever was a Remington model Seven. They did a special run in with a camo stock and stainless fluted barrel. I had one in 7mm-08 and it fit me to a T every time I shouldered it. I gave it to my dad for Fatherís Day a few years ago because he wanted one like it and they are impossible to find now and when you do they are $$$.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #59
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFF610 View Post
I will be interested in what you get with that 20 inch barrel. Iím thinking of doing either a 25 SAUM or something similar next year.

Travis at Texas Custom Rifles is spinning up a 25 SAUM identical to that 20Ē 6.5 PRC posted earlier right now for another buddy of ours. Iíll wait to see what his numbers are before deciding what I should go with.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #60
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
I currently own 3 7mm-08s, 2 308s, 2 243s and a 260 with 3 of these having 20inch barrels. Iíve owned 2 6.5 creeds, a 6mm creed and a 6.5 PRC all with standard barrels for the caliber. All 3 of which Iíve recently sold and all Iím about to replace with different rifles in the same calibers. My real reason for the post was to see who may be running something different with a shorter barrel such as a 6.5 PRC. Im wanting to build something Ďcoolí and fun to play with. Iím well aware of what the old standbys like the 308 and 7mm-08 can do out of a 20inch barrel. Iíve killed a truck load of deer with each. I like to play Ďdumbí so I can listen to all aspects and see if whoever responds knows what they are talking about and if they will offer up real world numbers rather than only opinions. I appreciate all the input on the post. I enjoy talking guns and try to learn a little from everyone because everyoneís opinions and experiences are a little different.

I was about to ask if you if you were limited to factory ammo but if youíve owned the above Iím going to guess not.

That said I have a load recipe for my 260 Remington Rem 700 mountain rifle with 130 grain Berger running over 2900fps. This is with a factory 22Ē barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 01:18 PM   #61
OKFF610
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I was about to ask if you if you were limited to factory ammo but if youíve owned the above Iím going to guess not.

That said I have a load recipe for my 260 Remington Rem 700 mountain rifle with 130 grain Berger running over 2900fps. This is with a factory 22Ē barrel.

No sir Iím not limited to factory ammo although on some stuff I shoot it just out of ease and convenience. That 260 is a great round, I have one in Browning Micro Medallion. My father in law has a mountain rifle in a 260 Iím trying to talk him out of. It will match my 7mm-08 mountain rifle.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #62
JTCowpoke
Eight Point

I'm getting 2754 fps with my 20" 260 shooting 129g ablr. I didn't load to see how fast I could push it I just found a good node and stuck to it.
JTCowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #63
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Actually itís a lot more complicated than that. Thereís several factors that come into play. Powder used being one of the main contributing factors. To make the most of a barrel length youíll want to try to achieve complete powder burn. The shorter the barrel the faster the powder burn youíll need to achieve thorough burn, but that may negatively effect accuracy or consistency. So you try to find a good compromise l.
Agreed-- and if I had to pick I'd actually say magnums lose more speed per inch of barrel length than a typical '08-sized case.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #64
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp63 View Post
Why do the 308 and 7-08 do so well in a short barrel? Efficiency of the cartridge?
fast burning powder
Old 01-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #65
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:
If I am *actually* shooting 500 yds (rather than a "forum post" 500 yds), I want a 300WM or at least a hot 7mm.
lol what kind of groups are you getting with your 500 yard forum posts?
Old 01-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #66
OKFF610
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
Agreed-- and if I had to pick I'd actually say magnums lose more speed per inch of barrel length than a typical '08-sized case.

What do you think would be a rough estimate of what they lose then?

Old 01-16-2020, 08:44 PM   #67
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Something else not mentioned : most of my Rifles are 20"+-1"....Blind hunting it when short wins every time..getting it out widow..Right now is when I really notice it in BlackPowder season with a 28"barrel.. and wrestling it out window quietly Just another pro!
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #68
Balcones_Walker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Henly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I have a load recipe for my 260 Remington Rem 700 mountain rifle with 130 grain Berger running over 2900fps. This is with a factory 22” barrel.
Can back that up - this is 143 gn 24" 6.5 Creedmoor using a fairly warm load. 6.5 PRC is great for trading up to a long action that squeezes a little bit more fps out of 6.5 CM, but it seems like you'd want to keep that little bit more by running it 24-26".

Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #69
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:
What do you think would be a rough estimate of what they lose then?

The reloading manual tables Iíve seen have it by velocity, not case capacity. But that easily translates to a 7 Mag losing more per inch than a 7-08 all else equal. By the Lyman tables this would be somewhere in the range of 10 fps more loss per inch of barrel length reduction for this caliber comparison with the same weight pill. So where a 7-08 would lose 20 fps/inch a 7 Mag would lose 30 fps/inch. Thereís plenty of data/info available on this and as with almost everything, it depends on the particulars.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #70
OKFF610
Four Point

Thanks for the info

Old 01-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #71
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:
I would be very interested in the results. Iím wanting a can for my next build.

New thread here:
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=756061
Old 01-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #72
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Quote:
If I am *actually* shooting 500 yds (rather than a "forum post" 500 yds), I want a 300WM or at least a hot 7mm. Personally I wouldn't shoot an animal with a 6.5 caliber bullet at that real life range, regardless of barrel length. And for a 300WM or hot 7mm, I prefer a 26" barrel.

Now, if you want a 20" "deer hunting rifle", you can't really go wrong. Anything from .243 to 7-08, and everything in between, will perform great at 20".
Not saying your opinion is wrong, or that a 6.5 is even a good choice for an elk rifle, but hereís Wayne van Zwoll killing one at 600 yards with a pass through. Granted itís in the middle of a clearing, not dark timber near private property, but the bull died really quickly.

https://youtu.be/IOo6gprtKeA

I wouldnít hesitate to shoot a 150 lb whitetail with one, I still prefer .30 for elk regardless of range.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #73
Balcones_Walker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Henly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
Not saying your opinion is wrong, or that a 6.5 is even a good choice for an elk rifle, but hereís Wayne van Zwoll killing one at 600 yards with a pass through. Granted itís in the middle of a clearing, not dark timber near private property, but the bull died really quickly.

https://youtu.be/IOo6gprtKeA

I wouldnít hesitate to shoot a 150 lb whitetail with one, I still prefer .30 for elk regardless of range.
We're in total agreement - even a .22lr will kill an elk DRT with a pass through if you hit it just right. Not many (any?) animals are going far with both lungs or their heart punctured. I'm like you though, I don't judge what others take into the woods but if I'm going elk hunting I prefer a larger bore.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #74
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp63 View Post
Why do the 308 and 7-08 do so well in a short barrel? Efficiency of the cartridge?
They are more efficient in terms of burning less powder than long action or magnum cases, and they are also less overbore than the 6.5 Creedmoor and .243. The highly overbore cartridges will lose more with shorter barrels.

The problem with the 500 yard stipulation is that comes down to the BC of the bullet at similar velocities. A large caliber, small volume cartridge isnít going to push heavy for caliber bullets well, so you end up shooting bullets with poor BCís and .30-30 like trajectories.

What you end up with is rankings that are completely opposite of each other. IMO, the 7mm-08 does well for both criteria because itís more or less in the middle of both, so it doesnít suffer as much in either category.

FWIW, even though cartridges that burn more powder lose more in short barrels, they are still ahead of those that burn less. A .300 WM will still be faster than a .30-06, which will be faster than a .308, even in 16Ē barrels. What you end up with is a ton of muzzle blast, fireballs, and small enough gains that it isnít worth it though.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #75
cblackall
Spike

Iím running a 20Ē APR 7-08. Iím getting ~2640 fps with a 162 ELD-M suppressed. Iíve run it out to 1000 on steel without issue. Hunting wise, itís done great on everything from coyotes to elk out to 400 yds. My buddy is running a 20Ē APR 7-08 AI and getting ~2735 with the 162 ELD-M.
cblackall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 10:51 PM   #76
MUZZYSLINGR
Ten Point

Iíve got an 8mm Mauser with a 20Ē barrel on it. Using my handload Iím getting 2600 & change .

Kills everything I point it at dead enough.

MUZZYSLINGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #77
Conrad
Spike

Hunt In: Four corners regions. TX Hill Country.

18” 6.5 Creed getting 2805 with 130 hybrid and R16.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top