Need Help to catch Poachers and Thieves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help to catch Poachers and Thieves

Background - Our lease is in South East Texas and is 1900 acres pine farm with hardwoods. Our camp is at least a mile from main road. My first year and lease mates second year on the place. The guys before us were on this tract for a long time, I have heard 10 plus years and never had a problem. I will refrain county and towns for now.

We have not had any problems until recently. We did notice a camera missing near front gate blind but just chalked it up as lost.

Thursday after New Years we all headed to the lease and found this halfway to camp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	poached deer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	25202383

Button buck with 3 rabbits laying on edge of woods. Rabbit had stick through back legs to carry.

Made it to camp and yep they got us. So this is where everything gets weird. Unscrewed the morgan building window but stole nothing (lap top for viewing cameras, liquor, food, batteries,) Nothing was missing. Went into our tool room and only took a crappy Polan chainsaw. Went into my 30 ft camper though the outside storage and pushed the masterbed up to get in side. Also weird, took 2 harbor frieght toolbags, and a roll of trash bags. The left all tools, batteries, lanterns, mister buddys, food, etc) Left camper same way came in. Did not break or smash anything. Which we chalked it up to punk *** kids. Also found where they took all sim cards and batteries out of 3 feeder cameras and they took a **** in one of our main blinds near the poached deer.

We called our game warden who is very cool by the way and they came out the next day. said deer was about 2 to 3 days old and asked if they could put up cameras. No problem we said. We also stuck 7 cameras out along road.
    This past friday the GW's camera went off at 5pm which we are connected to as well. 2 idiots one older guy carrying a gun and the second was some crack head looking dude with a cinch sack. Three dogs like coon hounds and this was during the day. Camera is set to catch people coming in and we caught them heading out telling us they came in from a different spot. The GW is PO'd and asked if the could light our place up with cameras and catch these turds. The GW's also found another poached deer not very far from our west side laying in the road with head still attached but all meat removed.

I completely understand the nature of hunting East Texas this is not my gripe.

I need ya'lls help on best way to hide cameras that i can stick at front gate and not get stolen. I have more ghetto than out law in me so I cannot figure out how to catch these turds and what is the best camera for doing it.

I have looked at argo Go and all cell cameras problem is we only barely get 1 bar at camp with att and verizon. Besides cameras anything else we should do? I have started taking everything back with me.....

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by manwitaplan; 01-13-2020, 12:24 PM.

Take ladder with you and put up in tree angled down, we have not had any problems at all at my dads place but he wanted a covert watching the barn, works great, also we only get one bar at camp, but covert camera 15ft up in tree is 4 bars

Comment

Buy some cameras that have a "no glow" for night and like said above, put cameras up high looking down and set them on video.

Comment

Dummy camera in plain sight. Good camera hidden from above.
        I have a fried cell camera that is purely decorative. has an antenna and everything. I would put it on a t post right by the gate. Then when they steal a previously $400 camera they have that issue to deal with.
        I'll send it to you if you want it.

Comment

Also in East Texas and this has happened twice (minus the dead deer and rabbits).

The thief took only what he could carry the first time but came back and looted the place by pulling a trailer and loading.

Sure that something similar will occur here.

Comment

Superglue leafs and bark to the camera. It’s time to go ninja on these fools. Have any trash piles or wood piles around ?? Hide a camera in there. Put old broken cameras where they can be seen. Point another, hidden, at this camera.

Comment

Sounds like you should remove all your valuables from camp, and let the game warden take care of them.

Comment

Assist and let the Wardens do their job. Take all personnel belongings...

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                  Background - Our lease is in South East Texas and is 1900 acres pine farm with hardwoods. Our camp is at least a mile from main road. My first year and lease mates second year on the place. The guys before us were on this tract for a long time, I have heard 10 plus years and never had a problem. I will refrain county and towns for now.

We have not had any problems until recently. We did notice a camera missing near front gate blind but just chalked it up as lost.

Thursday after New Years we all headed to the lease and found this halfway to camp.

[ATTACH]987782[/ATTACH]

Button buck with 3 rabbits laying on edge of woods. Rabbit had stick through back legs to carry.

Made it to camp and yep they got us. So this is where everything gets weird. Unscrewed the morgan building window but stole nothing (lap top for viewing cameras, liquor, food, batteries,) Nothing was missing. Went into our tool room and only took a crappy Polan chainsaw. Went into my 30 ft camper though the outside storage and pushed the masterbed up to get in side. Also weird, took 2 harbor frieght toolbags, and a roll of trash bags. The left all tools, batteries, lanterns, mister buddys, food, etc) Left camper same way came in. Did not break or smash anything. Which we chalked it up to punk *** kids. Also found where they took all sim cards and batteries out of 3 feeder cameras and they took a **** in one of our main blinds near the poached deer.

We called our game warden who is very cool by the way and they came out the next day. said deer was about 2 to 3 days old and asked if they could put up cameras. No problem we said. We also stuck 7 cameras out along road.
                  This past friday the GW's camera went off at 5pm which we are connected to as well. 2 idiots one older guy carrying a gun and the second was some crack head looking dude with a cinch sack. Three dogs like coon hounds and this was during the day. Camera is set to catch people coming in and we caught them heading out telling us they came in from a different spot. The GW is PO'd and asked if the could light our place up with cameras and catch these turds. The GW's also found another poached deer not very far from our west side laying in the road with head still attached but all meat removed.

I completely understand the nature of hunting East Texas this is not my gripe.

I need ya'lls help on best way to hide cameras that i can stick at front gate and not get stolen. I have more ghetto than out law in me so I cannot figure out how to catch these turds and what is the best camera for doing it.

I have looked at argo Go and all cell cameras problem is we only barely get 1 bar at camp with att and verizon. Besides cameras anything else we should do? I have started taking everything back with me.....

Thanks in advance
                  If you have cell service, get a cell camera, instant capture.

Comment

Sounds like some of these guys have come up with some good ideas. I have been having problems with someone messing with some of my cameras, they turn them off, so I don't get them on camera. I have decided to mount the cameras high, then angle them downwards. Something I have found, is that buy cameras with the highest mega pixels possible, so you can zoom in and have clear pictures. The idea of a camera that does not glow red at night. I can find my cameras easily at night, they have LED lights that glow red when the camera takes infrared pictures.

Also the idea of putting up a cheap camera, to use as bait, then another camera mounted up high, out of sight to get pictures, of them taking the bait, sounds like a very good idea to me. Also the idea of cameras that will send pictures to your phone, is a great idea, if the camera can get a strong enough signal. The only way to know is to put one or two out and see. I have been thinking of getting some of those cameras, hopefully I can finally catch who has been messing with my cameras while they are still on the property. I have gotten many pictures that were taken while someone was messing with one of my cameras, but they put something in front of the camera to prevent it from taking a picture of them, as they opened it and turned it off. So I have date and time stamps of when those happened, multiple times it was while I was home. If I would have gotten message with the picture right after it happened, I could have gone and found the person while they were still on the property. This crap would come to a quick end. But as it is now, I check my cameras about every three to five days, so when I find out there was someone on our property, it usually happened a day or two earlier and I don't have pictures of them, only whatever they held over the camera, as they opened it and turned it off. One time I got a picture of one of the neighbors on camera, but that guy has since moved. I did not say anything about it, I figured he possibly did not know he was no longer on their property, because the fence has been down on that side for a long time. But recently someone has been on our place multiple times, the fact they keep finding cameras that they know to turn off, they know they are somewhere they are not supposed to be.

You might try hiding cameras inside things around camp, that you could cut holes in to allow the camera to work, while still being hidden.

Comment

Working...
                    X