Sid Miller approves kaput hog poison.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
    We need to do something and hog hunters only make it worse they don't help anything. People who enjoy shooting some now and then have no reason to want them gone. I've heard of very few if any landowners who want them around at all. If so it's the small tract guys who bought a place solely to shoot something
    I guess I am one of those small tract owners who bought a couple hundred acres to have to hunt on & enjoy the piece & quiet of the country. Hope to move there one day. I have no problem with a landowner killing hogs if they keep them on their property. When I have to be concerned if the hogs I am hunting on my place have been eating poison next door it concerns me. This whole deal here stinks of politics. When something you do has the potential to impact the neighbors it is just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
      When I have to be concerned if the hogs I am hunting on my place have been eating poison next door it concerns me. This whole deal here stinks of politics. When something you do has the potential to impact the neighbors it is just wrong.
      This.

Comment

Originally posted by lodgepole View Post
        Love pigs, leave them alone. I like to hunt them more than deer. They are a great resource for the average joe hunter who can't afford a $4000 a year deer lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        X2.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
          I guess I am one of those small tract owners who bought a couple hundred acres to have to hunt on & enjoy the piece & quiet of the country. Hope to move there one day. I have no problem with a landowner killing hogs if they keep them on their property. When I have to be concerned if the hogs I am hunting on my place have been eating poison next door it concerns me. This whole deal here stinks of politics. When something you do has the potential to impact the neighbors it is just wrong.
          guess I'm right there with you except we live on ours. Yea they tear up a little stuff here and there and I cuss em when I'm shredding but fun to hunt and good to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
            What baffles me is, with as many people that claim to have a real problem with hogs, I cannot get anyone to let me shoot one without charging me $300 a day. If I had hordes or nutria crawling all over my hunting spot, y'all would find Craigslist ads offering free nutria hunts. The problem must not be as dire as people claim.
            That's the thing all you do is pop a couple. Overall you just Educated them. Cool you shot 6 in five days what about the other 70.

If heli is limited in its effectiveness due to foliage certain times of the year then pretty safe to say sitting in a stand ain't cutting it either.

You can tell on this thread the guys that have tried hunters from ground, air and trapping, they have been there and done that and seen it highly limited in effectiveness.

Do I think this is the answer no. Due to the application might as well use remote drop trap. With that said I try it in a heart beat.

Comment

I'll just leave this here.

Consequences folks.

This has already happened with another drug...

Nine species of vulture can be found living in India, but most are now in danger of extinction[1] after a rapid and major population collapse in recent decades.[2] As recently as the 1980s there were up to 80 million white-rumped vultures (Gyps bengalensis) in India; but today the population numbers only several thousand.

The cause of the rapid plunge in the population was initially unclear, but in 2003 was traced to the anti-inflammatory drug diclofenac, which is lethal to vultures when they consume the carcasses of dead animals treated with it.

Vultures previously played an important role in public sanitation in India and their disappearance has resulted in a number of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                That's the thing all you do is pop a couple. Overall you just Educated them. Cool you shot 6 in five days what about the other 70.

If heli is limited in its effectiveness due to foliage certain times of the year then pretty safe to say sitting in a stand ain't cutting it either.

You can tell on this thread the guys that have tried hunters from ground, air and trapping, they have been there and done that and seen it highly limited in effectiveness.

Do I think this is the answer no. Due to the application might as well use remote drop trap. With that said I try it in a heart beat.
                I'm not saying shoot five or six. We had 7100 acres that was loaded with hogs. Our policy was, see a hog-shoot a hog. We killed some monsters and a butt-load of pigs. I killed six in one hunt only because the others were too quick. After two years, we thinned the numbers to a manageable figure. I also employed friends (more like willing pawns in our scheme) to rain hell down on the hogs as well. That lease was 10 years ago and I haven't been invited to shoot one stinkin' piggy since then. That was the original point of my comment. Use claymore mines and punji pits for all I care. I just don't want to swallow someone else's poison no matter how safe our gubmint tells us it is. Remember how eggs were supposed to kill us all?!? I don't trust politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Hocks & horns View Post
                  The problem must not be as dire as people claim.
                  Isn't that what you said?
                  Do you have a solution on any of your post?
                  As previously stated, deal with it yourself. You've got it figured out.

Comment

Shoot a lead bullet in National Forrest= illegal and dangerous
                    Poison hogs knowing that other birds and animals along with humans will likely be affected= good idea?
                    Stupid is as stupid does!

Comment

hocks and horns

Originally posted by Hocks & horns View Post
                      You are lost and have no idea of the problem. We killed anywhere from 500-800 pigs a year. They have 3 litters a year, you can't kill or trap enough. I have never charged a penny for anyone to hunt with me. But I don't blame someone for charging. Just because you don't have nor have ever seen that many pigs, doesn't mean they aren't a problem. Like I said come up with something better and I'm all for it.

Pigs cant have 3 litters in a year - They can have 1.5 litters
                      You should be more educated on this issue than me but hard to believe you when you double simple basic facts like this to back your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                        You should be more educated on this issue than me but hard to believe you when you double simple basic facts like this to back your thinking
                        Gestation for swine is 114 days.

Comment

My solution is big traps to catch 20 or more at a time. invest in those traps 2400 dollars for a remote controlled gate. Don't complain about money because it should be tax writeoffs for ag use and that is a lot less than all the purported ag damage.

Yes, my Father owns ranch land and hay pastures. We have had hogs come in and tear up the ground but between us and the neighbors we keep the numbers down. I haven't noticed more hogs now than in the last 5 years. So we are keeping the population somewhat under control.

We could do better if we build a big trap and caught 20 at a time but we don't have a huge problem to justify spending the money.

Comment

Hogs typically have 1.5 litters a year, with avg. 5 to 6 piglets a litter. Sexually mature at 6 to 8 months but don't have first litter until 13 months plus on avg.

Comment

Austin American Statesman has an article on it today. Article says they can't speculate on impact to non-target species as it depends on does, frequency, body mass and sensitivity. It says birds and rodents can be impacted from primary or secondary consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post

Actually that can have 2 the average gestation period is 114 days.
                                The 1.5 you found on the a&M website was also an average and the very next sentence says they absolutely can have more than 1.5 litters a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X