Night vision vs thermal imaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the pros and cons of each for bowhunting hogs or varmints at night? I'd buy a Gen 1 NV (can't break the bank), or get a thermal imager like this Seek XR that hooks up to your phone.

The only problem with the Seek is that if you're trying to be stealthy ar night, I can see the brightness of the phone screen being a problem, in that the game might see it (or you). The night vision though, is confined in a monocle. What do you guys think? Any happy mediums here?

The ATN X-sight is better than both of the options you listed if you can swing it. I know it was going for as low as $400 over the past few weeks.

Comment

You are going to be very disappointed with either of those options.

Comment

Gen 1 is so poor I can't believe it's still sold. And if thermal is in that price range I'd be certain it's no better.

Comment

Skip the gen 1 and the seek thermal. Save your money a little more and get something better. Are you just wanting something to scan with? If so check out the pulsar recon 550 or even the 350 would be better than either of those options.

Comment

For hunting purposes, forget the Seek Thermal and forget Gen 1. I sell both and I can assure you that you'll be disappointed with either one of them in hunting situations.

For bowhunting at night, you are going to need a scope with crosshairs, not just an NV monocular or something like the Seek. Your best bet for quality and price is going to be something like the Sightmark Photon XT, it even has 2 digital crossbow reticle options. If that's out of your budget range there aren't going to be a whole lot of good options but I'd be more than willing to offer any advice and pricing that I can.

I offer TBH discounts on the Photon XT and most other NV, including the X-Sight etc. STX mentioned the Pulsar Recon monoculars and they are great for spotting but don't have crosshairs. Speaking of that, they are being discontinued and I can get some really good pricing on them right now if anyone is interested.

Feel free to PM me and we can arrange a phone call and I'll be glad to go over all the NV options and pricing and I promise it will be NO pressure to buy anything at all. I'm always glad to answer questions and try to point people in the right direction.

- Jason

Comment

I'd just be using this for scanning at distance to see the game at night. Once they get within bow range, near the feeder, we hit the bow mounted green light and shoot. Riflescopes won't help me as I don't hunt with a rifle. Anybody else with any good thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                For hunting purposes, forget the Seek Thermal and forget Gen 1. I sell both and I can assure you that you'll be disappointed with either one of them in hunting situations.

For bowhunting at night, you are going to need a scope with crosshairs, not just an NV monocular or something like the Seek. Your best bet for quality and price is going to be something like the Sightmark Photon XT, it even has 2 digital crossbow reticle options. If that's out of your budget range there aren't going to be a whole lot of good options but I'd be more than willing to offer any advice and pricing that I can.

I offer TBH discounts on the Photon XT and most other NV, including the X-Sight etc. STX mentioned the Pulsar Recon monoculars and they are great for spotting but don't have crosshairs. Speaking of that, they are being discontinued and I can get some really good pricing on them right now if anyone is interested.

Feel free to PM me and we can arrange a phone call and I'll be glad to go over all the NV options and pricing and I promise it will be NO pressure to buy anything at all. I'm always glad to answer questions and try to point people in the right direction.

- Jason
                What would you reccomend to just scan at night? Not worried about shooting but want to see whats coming. I have heard thermal is best but can you see antlers if scouting a field with it since they dont have body heat?

Comment

sub'd

Comment

Following

Comment

Pulsar thermal last night. It was AWSOME!
                      Coyote and few other hogs not pictured

Comment

In

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                          Skip the gen 1 and the seek thermal. Save your money a little more and get something better. Are you just wanting something to scan with? If so check out the pulsar recon 550 or even the 350 would be better than either of those options.

This! Save up for quality.

Comment

Can you use thermal imaging to find recently killed game

Comment

Following

Comment

Working...
                              X