Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-02-2020, 11:46 AM   #101
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Hey MadHatter, when you are hand fishing for bigguns, what rod/reel/line do you like to use? I've caught a LOT of big cats, but always on trot-lines... Always wanted to tie into one of those big flatheads or blue cats... I've caught enough of them on trot-lines that I can tell what kind of cat it is before I ever see it, and in most cases, estimate within 4-5 pounds of what it will weigh from how it fights... Would LOVE to hang into one on rod n reel!!
50lb Ande tied to some 30lb Fins, fishing a Santee Cooper Rig 90% of the time.
For reels I run some Curados, Lexas, Tranx, NaCl, Revo Beast, an a couple Komodo SS, in 300 & 400 sizes.
Run a bunch of older 6500s & 7000s from time to time.
I much prefer the LP baitcasters.
Rods are all over the place as well.
Most are 7' - 9', MH to HVY, fast action, no glass.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #102
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

WOW, that's pretty small equipment for where I'd have to fish...(well maybe except the 6500/7000's). My lakes are full of brush/stumps and I'd need something to be able to turn a big fish I think... Do you fish on the bottom or suspended? We always caught our best fish this time of year Feb/early March) fishing on the flats away from rivers/creeks and mid-water column... (mostly Livingston but some Lake Houston and Rayburn).
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #103
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county

We set some out on Livingston this weekend. Half with liver others with live goldfish. Left them out overnight. Ended up boxing 7 up to about 8 lbs. pretty slow but it was good to get out. Name:  60477500230__C0EC8E5D-B5D8-4AAD-B980-F347E03A6E98.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  57.0 KBName:  60477500230__C0EC8E5D-B5D8-4AAD-B980-F347E03A6E98.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  57.0 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #104
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Yep Michael, these jerks on the Commission actually get paid with Taxpayers dollars to sit up there in Austin and try to think up more rules to make it more difficult to enjoy the outdoors in our great state!!
While I don't necessarily disagree, seems to me marking your lines with decent sized colorful noodles and such is a good idea for the safety of boaters everywhere.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #105
The Cornstar
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Duval county

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchiefj View Post
Has anyone measured the standard size fun noodles to see if they're 3" in diameter? I forgot about this change.

Thank you so much TPWD...
I just measured the bigger size and they are 3 inches. All the ones I’ve made in the past would be illegal now
The Cornstar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2020, 07:02 PM   #106
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
While I don't necessarily disagree, seems to me marking your lines with decent sized colorful noodles and such is a good idea for the safety of boaters everywhere.

Yea, that's what "seems" will get you when you don't know what you're talking about. I trotline fished east Texas lakes for 30 years... No only were my lines NOT a danger to any boater, they were safely hidden from others who'd flat steal fish off the lines if they knew the fish were there... My lines were for the most part at least 6-12 feet below the surface of the water, some more than that. They were marked with the required data and were legal... My brother has noodle fished these lakes for the past 15 years or more, but now by the stroke of a pen, all his noodles are illegal because they're not the minimum diameter of 3"... don't know how these things didn't cause total catastrophe for the previous 20+ years they were perfectly legal... Neither of these new requirements do a single thing to improve safety or make it easier to fish... They are strictly now just another way a GW can zap someone who does not know that the standard noodles that have been used for years can be written up with a citation...

I actively got involved with several of these various changes over the years by attending public meetings in various places throughout the state, even spoke at some of them... all to ultimately find out, the fix was in BEFORE the first meeting is ever held... Just like the rest of the political deep state, the TPWD Commission is just a bunch of bureaucrats that serve their own interest and the interest of their bosom buddies. It's just another swamp that needs draining BADLY!

don't get me wrong, I'm not hammering at you specifically. It is just that many, many don't have a clue what really goes on behind the scenes with these constantly tightening regulations, fresh, salt and hunting regulations.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #107
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
WOW, that's pretty small equipment for where I'd have to fish...(well maybe except the 6500/7000's). My lakes are full of brush/stumps and I'd need something to be able to turn a big fish I think... Do you fish on the bottom or suspended? We always caught our best fish this time of year Feb/early March) fishing on the flats away from rivers/creeks and mid-water column... (mostly Livingston but some Lake Houston and Rayburn).
Actually it's all pretty big equipment when comparing it to 6500s or 7000s.
The new LPs hold more line, and put out twice the drag.
Any of the reels I mentioned will turn any fish you could possibly hit
We are drifting, while dragging across the bottom, with a suspended chunk of bait
Old 03-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #108
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Yea, that's what "seems" will get you when you don't know what you're talking about. I trotline fished east Texas lakes for 30 years... No only were my lines NOT a danger to any boater, they were safely hidden from others who'd flat steal fish off the lines if they knew the fish were there... My lines were for the most part at least 6-12 feet below the surface of the water, some more than that. They were marked with the required data and were legal... My brother has noodle fished these lakes for the past 15 years or more, but now by the stroke of a pen, all his noodles are illegal because they're not the minimum diameter of 3"... don't know how these things didn't cause total catastrophe for the previous 20+ years they were perfectly legal... Neither of these new requirements do a single thing to improve safety or make it easier to fish... They are strictly now just another way a GW can zap someone who does not know that the standard noodles that have been used for years can be written up with a citation...

I actively got involved with several of these various changes over the years by attending public meetings in various places throughout the state, even spoke at some of them... all to ultimately find out, the fix was in BEFORE the first meeting is ever held... Just like the rest of the political deep state, the TPWD Commission is just a bunch of bureaucrats that serve their own interest and the interest of their bosom buddies. It's just another swamp that needs draining BADLY!

don't get me wrong, I'm not hammering at you specifically. It is just that many, many don't have a clue what really goes on behind the scenes with these constantly tightening regulations, fresh, salt and hunting regulations.

Yes yes and yes.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #109
huntindude
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazoria county and Menard

Read the media release. Currently all of my noodles are the smaller ones (now illegal) although the media release says the rules go into effect February 2020, are they enforceable if they are not in the outdoor annual?

huntindude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #110
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntindude View Post
Read the media release. Currently all of my noodles are the smaller ones (now illegal) although the media release says the rules go into effect February 2020, are they enforceable if they are not in the outdoor annual?

Put them out and let us know what the GW says....
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2020, 10:30 PM   #111
bigchiefj
Six Point

I've got a bunch that are illegal now. They're 2.5" diameter. The lake will me much safer with my new minimum 3" diameter ones.
bigchiefj is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #112
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:

Except that I've been on the water at night for going on 35 years and I appreciate being able to see all this garbage in the water.
Your noodles aren't an issue to you because you know they're there and are looking for them. Joe Blow boater cruising to his fishing or hunting spot at 0 dark thirty gets a line in his prop he tends to be ******. Don't pretend it doesn't happen because it does. I got one of those "hidden lines" in my freaking trolling motor at Amistad. There are a LOT more boaters on the water now, things that were negligible 20byears ago aren't anymore. TPWD has to answer to all people of the state, not just those who are upset because they have small noodles.

Last edited by justletmein; 03-02-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:21 PM   #113
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

Pretty slow at Tawakoni for me last weekend we ended up with a 40 pounder and nothing else over 10, gonna be at eagle mountain Friday and Saturday..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #114
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Except that I've been on the water at night for going on 35 years and I appreciate being able to see all this garbage in the water.
Your noodles aren't an issue to you because you know they're there and are looking for them. Joe Blow boater cruising to his fishing or hunting spot at 0 dark thirty gets a line in his prop he tends to be ******. Don't pretend it doesn't happen because it does. I got one of those "hidden lines" in my freaking trolling motor at Amistad. There are a LOT more boaters on the water now, things that were negligible 20byears ago aren't anymore. TPWD has to answer to all people of the state, not just those who are upset because they have small noodles.
I recently took you off my ignore list but your smartass degrading condescending drivel has reminded me again why I had you on the list. I’ll just say if you hit any of my lines, you’ll be running a submarine. They are nowhere close to the surface. Further, I don’t have “small noodles”. I fact I don’t have any noodles. I don’t fish with them.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #115
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
I recently took you off my ignore list but your smartass degrading condescending drivel has reminded me again why I had you on the list. I’ll just say if you hit any of my lines, you’ll be running a submarine. They are nowhere close to the surface. Further, I don’t have “small noodles”. I fact I don’t have any noodles. I don’t fish with them.
Really? Do you have a remote control sub to fetch them? Me thinks that line comes up to the surface somewhere. Tied to a tree maybe where some poor bass fisherman unsuspectingly snags his lure on it? Not that hard to mark your lines so people can avoid them and if it's required by law, so if you're doing it already what's the harm in marking them with a larger more visible marker? As for you not using noodles, it was YOU who was complaining that your brother's noodles were too small in the post I quoted, did you forget?
Now I think the main issues are the free floating noodles and jugs so if you don't use them I'm not sure why you're bothering to complain so much.

Last edited by justletmein; 03-03-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #116
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

No sir. My lines did not come to the surface. That’s what I meant by you not knowing what you were talking about. Most folks that fish big water for big catfish don’t tie off to trees n stumps. I’m not currently fishing. When I did, I was always 100% legal. I could talk all day about “poor bass fishermen” but that’s off topic. Other “fishermen” stealing fish off my lines is what I have issues with. The last thing I’d want to do is make my sets easy to find.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:45 PM   #117
justletmein
Pope & Young

Ok now we're getting somewhere. So what happens to all this hidden gear when you can't come retrieve it for whatever reason? Just like the abandoned crap traps that littered the bay before the annual cleanups, there's tons of trotline trash out there. These lines eventually slack up, break off, etc and then pose a public safety concern such as wrapped in props strangling water skiers or divers or just become an eyesore. There's many reasons for marking lines and we don't always see the bigger picture as you're not seeing it here, but TPWD has to consider all that whether it's an inconvenience for someone isn't the biggest concern.
Also you may be a perfect water citizen, so maybe this ain't for you but geared towards all the others. How's TPWD supposed to know they can trust you to keep your lines safe and not abandon them when they see it all the time from others?
Old 03-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #118
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

What about safety of swimmers?
TeamAmerica is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #119
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Now i need to go measure my noodle
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #120
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
Now i need to go measure my noodle
Tell us what we already know mike. Your noodle is too thin.....
TeamAmerica is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2020, 07:47 PM   #121
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:

I believe I have read in the out Door Annual in the past that yes, the rules are enforceable even if they are not in the annual. It is the sportsman's responsibility to know the rules. The GWs are just there to enforce them. The commissioners are the ones who make them. So, who ever gets on the commissioners board, have a lot of say in what and what dose not happen in Texas. If anyone has any question as to who is qualified, just take a look at each commish and that person's background and study. Some have little or no background experience at all. But not all of them have jobs that require outdoor knowledge. I wouldn't mind if they did though! Maybe they would have a greater value for the outdoors and our values as outdoors persons?
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #122
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
Tell us what we already know mike. Your noodle is too thin.....

Minimum 6" requirement too. Or it may get confiscated.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2020, 07:58 PM   #123
huntindude
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I believe I have read in the out Door Annual in the past that yes, the rules are enforceable even if they are not in the annual. It is the sportsman's responsibility to know the rules. The GWs are just there to enforce them. The commissioners are the ones who make them. So, who ever gets on the commissioners board, have a lot of say in what and what dose not happen in Texas. If anyone has any question as to who is qualified, just take a look at each commish and that person's background and study. Some have little or no background experience at all. But not all of them have jobs that require outdoor knowledge. I wouldn't mind if they did though! Maybe they would have a greater value for the outdoors and our values as outdoors persons?

Yeah. A lot of grey area. The reason I asked is because I have asked Game Wardens legal questions before and seen even them refer to the outdoor annual to find the answer

Old 03-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #124
JMKro
Six Point

Hunt In: Shelby, TX

How early has the bulkhead bite been kicking off at Conroe the last few years? In the past (15+ years ago), we usually did pretty good in April.
JMKro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 08:34 AM   #125
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

This is my Im going to attempt to get all these kunfu chicken virus threads off page one today post.....
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #126
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKro View Post
How early has the bulkhead bite been kicking off at Conroe the last few years? In the past (15+ years ago), we usually did pretty good in April.
We do real good in April also. Late March can be good if you can get shad. When the shad start to come in the bulkhead bite is on. Will probably give it a run this weekend. These were from April last year on bulkheads on Conroe.
Attached Images

hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #127
ejj005
Four Point

Where is the best place to buy the pool noodles that are 3” in diameter. Wanting to build some. Also we always run trotlines and limb lines in the river. I guess since i now have to have floating gear tag. What do yall think is best for that? Cut a pool noodle 6”, wrap with tape and put info on it?

ejj005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #128
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Local golf course....

3DW5 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #129
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Pick up a few channels and a couple of big Blue Cats on Fairfield this last weekend.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #130
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
Pick up a few channels and a couple of big Blue Cats on Fairfield this last weekend.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
Very nice!
Old 03-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #131
huntindude
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejj005 View Post
Where is the best place to buy the pool noodles that are 3” in diameter. Wanting to build some. Also we always run trotlines and limb lines in the river. I guess since i now have to have floating gear tag. What do yall think is best for that? Cut a pool noodle 6”, wrap with tape and put info on it?

Academy has some that are exactly 3”

Old 03-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #132
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Put out a few jug lines with shrimp last weekend and caught 11 up to 5 lbs. I was mostly bass fishing but the catfish bite was definitely slow.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 08:48 PM   #133
ejj005
Four Point

Quote:
Academy has some that are exactly 3”

Thanks sir

ejj005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2020, 09:14 PM   #134
DKirk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejj005 View Post

I got mine at dollar general.
These didn’t fit tight on 3/4” pvc so I ended up having to glue them on.
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #135
huntindude
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
I got mine at dollar general.
These didn’t fit tight on 3/4” pvc so I ended up having to glue them on.

Same here. Gorilla glue construction adhesive works well

Old 03-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #136
JMKro
Six Point

Hunt In: Shelby, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
We do real good in April also. Late March can be good if you can get shad. When the shad start to come in the bulkhead bite is on. Will probably give it a run this weekend. These were from April last year on bulkheads on Conroe.
Well then... that tells me what I need to know
JMKro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #137
DKirk
Ten Point

Are y’all rigging there weights above or below the hook on the noodles?
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #138
huntindude
Eight Point

Default 2020 catfish thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
Are y’all rigging there weights above or below the hook on the noodles?

Man I know most people do but I have never used weights and caught plenty of fish I just use 3 feet or so of number 15 braided nylon, 5-6 ought circle hook baited with either shrimp or cut mullet. If I did use a weight I would put an egg sinker above the hook with a swivel like a Carolina rig

Old 03-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #139
toomuchsun
Six Point

Hunt In: on the edge

Bought a boat from a commercial cat fisherman many years ago. He fished the irrigation canals in south Texas. The little boat had hundreds of noodle type jug lines piled in the back. Got home, maybe 10% were there. I left a heck of a litter trail confession be known. Hope someone used em? Or cussed me as I deserved it.
Got some shad frozen. Time to go as the whites will slow soon.
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #140
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Im gonna hit Conroe in the morning chasing some cats. I will report back hopefully with a good report
Old 03-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #141
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Im gonna hit Conroe in the morning chasing some cats. I will report back hopefully with a good report
Good luck!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #142
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Good luck!
Thanks Doug!
Old 03-21-2020, 05:17 PM   #143
RLUM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Montgomery, Walker, Leon and Kimble counties. RSA

Fished Conroe 3 days last week. Wind blown points tight to the bulkhead with live shad produced 10-15 fish every morning
RLUM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #144
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLUM View Post
Fished Conroe 3 days last week. Wind blown points tight to the bulkhead with live shad produced 10-15 fish every morning
Are the shad starting to come in already?
Old 03-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #145
RLUM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Montgomery, Walker, Leon and Kimble counties. RSA

Quote:
Yes but most fish were not caught under the shad. It was kinda strange.
RLUM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #146
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Good luck

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #147
Plan B
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston/Trinity Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLUM View Post
Yes but most fish were not caught under the shad. It was kinda strange.
Same for me. Shad been on bulkhead on Livingston for a week but no fish chasing them. Catching most of mine with tight line away from bulk head. 🤷*♂️
Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #148
Plan B
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston/Trinity Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
Same for me. Shad been on bulkhead on Livingston for a week but no fish chasing them. Catching most of mine with tight line away from bulk head. 🤷*♂️
Last weekend....
Attached Images

Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #149
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
Thanks! I'll be checking that out next week.
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2020, 07:56 PM   #150
huntindude
Eight Point

Got this girl 2 nights ago on a limb line. Bent the hook out on my cheap scale each time I lifted her up right around the 40lb mark