Welding help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding help

To all of you welders out there, please excuse my lack of knowledge in the welding world. Need some guidance from you experienced folks. I am wanting to get into it for deer lease projects (Feeders, Stands, cleaning racks, etc.) Any suggestions on what machine to buy? (don't want spend more than $500). Is stick the best for what I am wanting to use it for? I'd love to hear any advice you may have as for DO's and DONT's.

welding

small wire feeder cleaner work

Comment

It really all depends on how serious you want to get. For mild steel less than 1/4” thick I have had great success with a small 220v Miller Mig Welder running Flux Core wire. The flux core does not need shielding gas as the flux in the wire protects the weld. This is nice as I never have to worry about how much gas I have. Downside is it tends to splatter easier and it creates slag like a stick so you have to clean the weld before another pass can be made. Only other thing is you have to reverse the polarity from what you would normally use for Gas but that’s easy. In fact my welder has the steps listed on the inside of the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hobart Handler 140 will be ideal for your projects listed. I’ve built many of feeders and deer stand towers with mine. Get a 10ga extension cord and plug into a dedicated plug, and you can move the machine wherever you need it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
          Hobart Handler 140 will be ideal for your projects listed. I’ve built many of feeders and deer stand towers with mine. Get a 10ga extension cord and plug into a dedicated plug, and you can move the machine wherever you need it to be.

Yes sir! We have a winner.

Comment

Little Everlast and never look back.

Comment

[ATTACH]933787[/ATTACH

Roll the dice...
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by davidamfan View Post
                [ATTACH]933787[/ATTACH

Roll the dice...
                Yes, yes I'll take a set

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]933787[/ATTACH

Roll the dice...
                  Very nice!

Comment

Done! Ill ship you a free set of Stainless Steel Dice.

Comment

Done! Ill ship you a free set of Stainless Steel Dice.
                      Oh! Please do!

Comment

Those dice are really cool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post

is what I have now, love it!

Comment

I welded a test stand for work out of 2x2x1/4" tubing with a Hobart 120v matching using flux core wire. It has withstood (6) 7lb warhead explosions that were positioned on 2x4s 12" above it. Tubing on top is slightly bowed now, but welds are still good.

Comment

I agree with a 120v mig. Id splurge and get gas but thats me. Any of the brands will work: Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, Everlast. Heck even the Harbor Freight mig has good reviews.

Comment

Working...
                              X